Should I flash my 2011 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Should I flash my 2011 GT3?

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new to the forum, but have been reading great info on the GT3/GT3RS here for a while.

Anyways, I should be getting my 2011 GT3 in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I should do the softronic flash? I used to track a Cayman S and thought the flash made a big difference on the track, but not really on the street. When I sold the Cayman, I drove my C4S Cab on the track (different beast, but love the rear engine!) and decided not to flash it since it was my DD and didn't feel a big need to.

Any advantages/disadvantages to the flash for the GT3?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Should I flash my 2011 GT3?

I will try to answer your question in detail:

NO
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

no
Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No, period.

Much less a generic flash. If you ever flash it, do a custom flash specific to your car and upgrades.

Cayman was de-tuned by Porsche, GT3 wasn't. The Cayman gains plenty on exhaust/intake upgrades plus necessary flash, the GT3 is almost maxed out. Spend time learning the car in and out, read this a the 6GT3 forum especially older information.

If you're getting the GT3 for track days, most likely there are good instructors, and reference lap times at the tracks you intend to run. If your GT3 will be a daily driver, much less reasons to flash it.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I will try to answer your question in detail:

NO
+1 but if you were going to, sharkwerks EVOMsit f/w would probably be the way to go ... at least in N.A.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

GT3 will mainly be a track car.

I guess it's an overwhelming "NO" thus far... What's the main reason?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

GT3 will mainly be a track car.

I guess it's an overwhelming "NO" thus far... What's the main reason?
little of any value to be extracted from the engine by just remapping alone, arguably there is little to be gained from the engine full stop, Porsche did not leave a lot of low hanging fruit on the table... $/bhp is high for any gains, and you will of course void your warranty ...

better to take the $1200 or so and invest in some professional GT3 coaching ... the gains in speed will be greater, and you will have more fun ...
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 962 Posts

As Larry said, don't see much to be gained HP-wise unless you start modding the motor and it's not like these cars are underpowered. The only element of a reflash that holds any interest to me is remapping of the E-gas pedal. I personally find too much throttle delay on many new cars including the GT3 at lower RPMs. You don't really notice it on the track but I notice when matching revs on the street.

To put this in perspective, I've been driving a friend's M3 Coupe a lot in our carpool and I always sensed what felt like a delay between when and how much I applied throttle and when the motor responded. I finally got around to putting it in M-mode one day and it was like night and day. Instant throttle response in exact measures to input. Now I won't drive it without M-mode on.

So to the extent that a reflash could address that issue than I'm for it but otherwise no thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
As Larry said, don't see much to be gained HP-wise unless you start modding the motor and it's not like these cars are underpowered. The only element of a reflash that holds any interest to me is remapping of the E-gas pedal. I personally find too much throttle delay on many new cars including the GT3 at lower RPMs. You don't really notice it on the track but I notice when matching revs on the street.

To put this in perspective, I've been driving a friend's M3 Coupe a lot in our carpool and I always sensed what felt like a delay between when and how much I applied throttle and when the motor responded. I finally got around to putting it in M-mode one day and it was like night and day. Instant throttle response in exact measures to input. Now I won't drive it without M-mode on.

So to the extent that a reflash could address that issue than I'm for it but otherwise no thanks.
Good point about the eGas pedal remapping, has anyone tried one of these:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...GT3&engine=Gas?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

yes on a clio cup.
When I first went out I almost went into the store across the street. Took me two days to learn to press the pedal. Then everything was fine.
I hear now that they have an adjustable version.

Any good dme tuner can change the setting of the pedal sensitivity, has a scale from 0 to 20 if I remember from RStuning.

BTW did you guys knew sprintbooster it was a Greek product. We produce something afterall.. : )

"Since the inception of drive-by-wire technology, drivers have been disappointed with the inherent throttle delay associated with the system. This is why Boulekos Dynamic developed Sprint Booster and proudly brought the product to market in 2004.

Five successful years and more than 100,000 units later we are excited for the debut of the latest Selectable and Programmable Sprint Booster at SEMA 2009.

The new generation of Sprint Booster debuted at SEMA SHOW 2009 winning one of the most important awards in aftermarket industry , the ‘SEMA BEST NEW PERFORMANCE-STREET PRODUCT 2010’ award among 1400 new products.

The new version was also honored with three ‘SEMA GLOBAL MEDIA AWARDS’ as voted by a group of international Journalists from automotive media around the world (28 judges from 16 key automotive markets)

This second generation Sprint Booster is a direct result of input provided by our partners and their customers. The entire Boulekos Dynamic family is grateful for the ideas and support our business partners have provided.

SPRINT BOOSTER is manufactured in Greece and it’s been exported to more than 30 countries around the world for the last five years. It is a patented product (PCT WO2007066155), has successfully passed the TUV tests and it is certified with European Conformity type approval (EC type approval mark No e24031712)."
Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer

Just sold my e92 M3 Coupe and totally agree about M-mode!

Does the sprintbooster void warranty?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A flash only helps improve throttle response on a GT3 from what I am told unless you have reworked the motor, complete exhaust etc....

It also kills any CPO

Sprintbooster works very well on Bimmers and I am also curious if anyone has used this gizmo on a GT3?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Just sold my e92 M3 Coupe and totally agree about M-mode!

Does the sprintbooster void warranty?
not if you take it off - I think it installs around the accelerator pedal cluster...

not sure if it makes much noticable difference in the pedal/gas response ...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
yes on a clio cup.
When I first went out I almost went into the store across the street. Took me two days to learn to press the pedal. Then everything was fine.
I hear now that they have an adjustable version.

Any good dme tuner can change the setting of the pedal sensitivity, has a scale from 0 to 20 if I remember from RStuning.

BTW did you guys knew sprintbooster it was a Greek product. We produce something afterall.. : )

"Since the inception of drive-by-wire technology, drivers have been disappointed with the inherent throttle delay associated with the system. This is why Boulekos Dynamic developed Sprint Booster and proudly brought the product to market in 2004.

Five successful years and more than 100,000 units later we are excited for the debut of the latest Selectable and Programmable Sprint Booster at SEMA 2009.

The new generation of Sprint Booster debuted at SEMA SHOW 2009 winning one of the most important awards in aftermarket industry , the ‘SEMA BEST NEW PERFORMANCE-STREET PRODUCT 2010’ award among 1400 new products.

The new version was also honored with three ‘SEMA GLOBAL MEDIA AWARDS’ as voted by a group of international Journalists from automotive media around the world (28 judges from 16 key automotive markets)

This second generation Sprint Booster is a direct result of input provided by our partners and their customers. The entire Boulekos Dynamic family is grateful for the ideas and support our business partners have provided.

SPRINT BOOSTER is manufactured in Greece and it’s been exported to more than 30 countries around the world for the last five years. It is a patented product (PCT WO2007066155), has successfully passed the TUV tests and it is certified with European Conformity type approval (EC type approval mark No e24031712)."
Wow! I thought we only produced ouzo, olives, and feta cheese! I'm Greek also (actually from Cyprus).
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that professional coaching, especially going from a Cayman S to a GT3, would be really beneficial and I think the OP would do well to avail himself of that. That said, I haven't heard anyone make an argument for why a reflash would be a bad idea. Softronic (I have experience with them and think their product is first-rate) claims 20hp and 21 lb-ft peak gains, more area under the low- and mid-range torque curves, and better throttle response which is a major benefit when heel-toeing at the track.

If the only "minus" is that you could spend the money on something else instead, well, that doesn't really tell me anything. The warranty issue, at least with Softronic, is moot since the car can be flashed back to stock if any need for warranty work arises. So, other than having $1200 less than you used to, what are the downsides to argue against what appear to be substantial upsides?

Quick Reply: Should I flash my 2011 GT3?