Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 (x)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

If they indeed build a "special edition GT3RS", you can rest assured it will have a special decal package, and GT2RS styling cues.

As to performance, i cant see anything worth developing that already hasnt been beaten to death on this platform.

I dont think a 4.0L can be safely punched out of the current block.... thus 3.8L will be the power plant.

Im already anxiously awaiting the next platform that replaces the 997 3, therefore not really interested in a further squeezed orange so to speak..... i figure we have about 3 more years until the next generation gt3 arises?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:18 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Maybe regular coilovers like the boxster spyder? Mike
Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

... and a carbon fiber windshield !
Old 11-14-2010, 01:39 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the over $200K price tag that goes with it. Porsche asking over $200K for the Speedster, which is just a high optioned GTS cab with a lower windshield and top. I am sure that any limited edition GT3RS will have a higher price than that. As far as a 4.0L goes, remember what the current RSR race car has in it.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Don't forget the over $200K price tag that goes with it. Porsche asking over $200K for the Speedster, which is just a high optioned GTS cab with a lower windshield and top. I am sure that any limited edition GT3RS will have a higher price than that. As far as a 4.0L goes, remember what the current RSR race car has in it.
I don't think the new car can be more than $200k, otherwise it will encroach on the price of the GT2RS ($245k). I think $180k-$190k seems about right...
Old 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ If a Speedster is 200k a special edition RS should be about 300k!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

CF fender moronic
If I had such a car I take it off and put alum on

Imagine damage on street.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been driving with CF body panels for 7 years (street & track) and they are quite resilient. Much tougher than Aluminum (which dents easily). I even once hit a tire wall at fairly low speed at the track and the CF fender fared far better than even a steel one would have.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Ur car is custom
With some tough cf like my bikes. But Porsche cf ain't same.

From cup car doors to wings, in fact I'm fixing a pair of factory RSR cf doors right now from a rubbing incident.

Also if street car I would not repair cf but get new fenders. however $$$$

Alum fender is cheap

When I posted it I thought about ur car. Didn't mean to trash cf but IMO cf fender ( unless it's all cf like ur whole car) is pointless. Steel factory 996 fender is 13# a side. Say cf is 5# (it's actually heavier than that). Total of 16# saving for $6800 ( option cost on gt2rs) ???

I don't know, but if that's 100# saving on fenders I'm in. At 16# I am certain no one can feel the difference. So mkting again.

Last edited by mooty; 11-14-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
Ur car is custom
I don't have any experience with factory CF, so you could be right...
Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ur car is custom

From cup car doors to wings, in fact I'm fixing a pair of factory RSR cf doors right now from a rubbing incident.

Also if street car I would not repair cf but get new fenders. however $$$$

Alum fender is cheap

When I posted it I thought about ur car. Didn't mean to trash cf but IMO cf fender ( unless it's all cf like ur whole car) is pointless. Steel factory 996 fender is 13# a side. Say cf is 5# (it's actually heavier than that). Total of 16# saving for $6800 ( option cost on gt2rs) ???

I don't know, but if that's 100# saving on fenders I'm in. At 16# I am certain no one can feel the difference. So mkting again.
Porsche options are often wildly over-priced (and equally often, they're years behind the state of the art) so I don't think anyone should be surprised by the price of the GT2 RS fender option -- if there's any surprise, it's that Porsche has finally gone to composite materials beyond the bolt-on stuff.

As for durability, let's just say it's a tad early to criticize something that doesn't exist and equally disconnected to evaluate a street car product based on the motorsport parts.

I'm certainly curious to see how Porsche goes about creating the same paint finish quality that people expect on metal.

And I'm surprised to hear an aluminum fender is only 15lbs -- that's not even half of what I'd expect.

If there are weight savings, they would have to come in the design to take advantage of -- and compensate for -- the change in an integral part of the structure.

As for cost or risk in a street car, the cost is exactly the same: the insurance premium and the deductible.

Taking the same car with metal or carbon bodywork onto the track without insurance, well, when you're taking $150K to $250K that level of risk with a 100% loss potential, the extra $7-8K is neither here nor there.

As ever, if Porsche wants to be taken seriously in their "weight reduction" efforts, let's have them start by removing and replacing all the mild steel clamps and stamped metal brackets from the innards of the car. Just take a brief look at the systems participating in that famous 911 pendulum and notice all the absurdly heavy components (alternator, power steering pump, LED tail lights, plastic wing and deck-lid parts.

If the budget is US$8K to add onto the MSRP to achieve a weight reduction on the front axle, I'll happily pay the premium to see the rear axle relieved of those components. I'd replace a/c and power steering with electrically driven equivalents sitting where the tools are presently so neatly "displayed" between the front wheels. Put all the ancillary systems up there. Make the starter motor half it's weight (geared reduction drive and brushless seems to be easy enough) and house the alternator off the "back" of the engine instead of proudly and elaborately presented up high in the rear of the car as if deliberately placed at the end of an invisible lever behind the rear axle.

If Porsche is fretting over the weight of the PDK, why not put the clutch packs, flywheel and starter motor in front of the differential? That would be an innovative place to put the alternator, too. Surely they can feed an output shaft straight from the crank without first translating it through the clutches? When they were building the new 9A1 or whatever it's called, surely that was the time to think about PDK for the 911. Maybe PDK is really just for the Panamera and they plunk it on the Carrera as a necessary chore to pacify those pesky 911 devotees.

Well, I'm sounding like a broken record because I doubt this is the first post where I've raised all these ideas, so I'll stop now and focus my "WTF?!" energies on Bernanke, the Fed corporation and Goldman Sachs ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY16CkS-k
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Also add FEMA camps and over inflation they are very trendy and IN this year.

PS. Porsche can paint carbon to perfection. 996RS front lid painted. Perfect.
PS2. Agree on the rest as usual
Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 955 Posts

...in fact I'm fixing a pair of factory RSR cf doors right now from a rubbing incident.
Wait, was that a rubbing incident or a racing incident?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Is it a homologation thing? They are going to keep racing the GT1 engine for 2012 - 2013?
Do they have to have a road car anymore to race it? I am not familiar with the FIA rules.

What do you think?
FiA/ACO rules require road going car as the base homologation car.
In the case of the RSR, the GT3RS is the base homologation car.
Porsche have been racing the 4.0L engine in the RSR for about 1 year. FiA/ACO rules stipulate that they have one year to produce 200road cars (as the homologation Base car) or the homologation will lapse.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Well, there you go!

4.0, GT2RS front fender and hood, some other CUP parts and presto LE 2012RS.

Quick Reply: GT3 (x)