Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help me Drive my RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Drive my RS

Got my .2 RS in June. I love it. I was finally able to sneak off work and go to Sebring in Late September. I am instructor with NASA and ran the car in TTS. From the first lap in the car, I was grinning ear to ear... However, I feel like I am leaving a lot of time out there.

Now here is the background, my previous car wanted to be driven really hard to be fast. Anyone who saw me running the Supra would tell you what I mean. Car understeered pretty good so I had to trailbrake deep to get some rotation and then kind of manhandle it on the way out. Manhandle is the best way can I describe it. Smooth was not fast in that car.

Fast Forward to the RS and my first P-car experience and I find myself trying to drive this car the same way. Besides the tremendous braking performance of this car and it's amazing ability to get on power much earlier in the corner, I can't for the life of me figure out how to drive this car fast. Ran high 2:24's low 2:25's at Sebring and ran 1:37's at Homestead on the MPSC's. Running them 32-33 hot Front and 33-34 Hot Rear. Front bar full soft, rear bar one from full soft. Front camber -2.5 rear -2.2. wear and temp pretty even.

I look at my videos and I think to myself that the car has to be able to do 2:20's at Sebring and 1:35's at Homestead. I know Juan was running those times in his GT3 last year running Michelins. Is it the MPSC's? Is it me? I don't have data acquisition and my camcorder sucks.

Give me some input Any and all advice is welcome.

TIA
Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

I had the same problem coming out of a Mustang GT. Throw it in and if you happen to hit the apex you nailed it.

RS is different; you must go very slow to go fast. It is very easy to overdrive the car. I had to get a coach to believe what I kinda already knew.

The only thing that seems to matter is how early you go on the gas and make sure you never have to lift track out.

What's your allignment?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Your supra driving style seems spot on. You want to go in slow, trailbrake to get the *** to rotate, and then get on power and stay on power throughout the corner.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

In like a ballerina, out like a cowboy.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

slow in - fast out, like jimmy with no raincoat.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I had the same problem coming out of a Mustang GT. Throw it in and if you happen to hit the apex you nailed it.

RS is different; you must go very slow to go fast. It is very easy to overdrive the car. I had to get a coach to believe what I kinda already knew.

The only thing that seems to matter is how early you go on the gas and make sure you never have to lift track out.

What's your allignment?
Alignment is -2.5F and -2.3R

To be honest, I had not been enlightened to the rule of Slow in Fast Out for the Porsche. I am looking forward to trying it. The car just brakes so good that it makes you go deeper and deeper... With out a doubt, I believe that is where I am loosing time. The transition from braking to turn in and the inevitable midcorner push is killing me. Will try and set up the corner a little sooner and see what happens.

I appreciate the responses.

J
Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
slow in - fast out, like jimmy with no raincoat.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Fast in and fast out is better though. Slow in means you are not trail braking. Fast in means you are trailbraking and not giving up time in corner entry. Just semantics, really...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

OK.

Fast corners, fast in trailbraking, fast out.
Slow corners, slow in, rotate, fast out.

Quick Reply: Help me Drive my RS