Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We drive engineered cars

Safety = Weight

A lighter car in the near future..I don't think so.

But chew on this:

NEW ALUMINUM ALLOY (subscription required)
If automakers could only make cars a lot lighter, they could drastically improve fuel efficiency at the same time they improve handling. Now researchers in the U.S., Australia and Russia have developed a new type of aluminum alloy. According to Ward’s, the metal has the strength of one gigapascal – no, I didn’t make that term up – which makes it comparable to very strong steel. The secret to its strength? Well, it all has to do with grain size. Nanostructured metals – those with tiny grain sizes – are very strong, but they don’t absorb as much energy before breaking. This new material, which is twice as strong as conventional aluminum, has a special structure. Researchers have fine-tuned the grain size which helps disperse the alloys on an atomic level. Going forward, look for metallurgists to continue improving conventional materials to make them lighter and stronger.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

V8s, flat-8s in a 911? Yeah it's a Ruf thing, but it is not a Porsche thing. Not in 911s.

The 911 does not need more power. It needs to shed pounds, using lighter materials and abstaining from piling up useless doodads. Useless in a sports car, that is. Do not come back to tell me that you want to eat the cake and keep it too by having it all in a commuter, executive-express, sports car. No! A sports car is not that. Let's not compromise.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why the Cayman R (Club Sport, RS, whatever they call it) is a big deal? It isn't going to be as light as a Boxster Spyder and will have little to distinguish it from a properly optioned Cayman S at the track. In fact, I doubt you will ever see it go faster around a track than a Boxster Spyder with a comparable driver. Porsche isn't going to make a GT3 killer out of it and you won't see anyone selling their GTx car to get one. So what's the big deal?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

-For the street, Boxster Spyder is more than good enough — way more than good enough. Same can be said for current Cayman S. There's only so much performance you can use. Cayman R should be at least as good.
-For the track, GT2/3 are the current way to go, no question.
-For racing, none of the above make sense once you've tried a GT3 Cup or RSR, or Spec 911 or Spec 986 or Spec Whatever for that matter.

Could the 987 use a complete redesign of its rear suspension to maximize its potential? Of course — but the same could be said of the 911, which still stands to benefit greatly from a redesign up front. Think about a GT3 with dual wishbones or similar up front, and you start to see that the 911 concept has yet to be maximized. Of course, lightening would be even better — but it is not as easy as we'd all love to believe.

As for flat sixes and flat eights, I am one who believes the new F6 was not designed as a 5-year engine. Nor do I see the need for two more cylinders. I suspect that, if anything threatens its timeline — or extends it — it will be environmental law and social pressure. Ruf, on the other hand, is doing something very different — creating something different and very compelling in its own right. It looks like a good move to me, but time will tell. The company could sure use another "Yellow Bird."

Looking at the next 911's Panamera center console (with what looks like an Audi A4 electronic e-brake!) and other changes, considering the thrust of the SC and Sp., and watching sales of the BS, I am very, very concerned about the marque I have long believed in, even through thick and thin, SUVs and sedans. I hope I am wrong. I take some comfort in the fact that there are a lot of good people working at Porsche. I've spent time speaking with a lot of them.

pete
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Pete: I see that we agree.

What do you mean when you say that the current F6 was not meant to be a 5-year engine?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 AM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
What do you mean when you say that the current F6 was not meant to be a 5-year engine?
Probably that its life cycle is much longer than 5 years given the development work that went into it - far fewer components, direct injection, increases in power & efficiency...

Consider for example how long Mezger derivatives have been kickin' around. : )
Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 AM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I don't understand why the Cayman R (Club Sport, RS, whatever they call it) is a big deal? It isn't going to be as light as a Boxster Spyder and will have little to distinguish it from a properly optioned Cayman S at the track.
My best guess is a Cayman with the Spyder philosophy applied. Having driven a Spyder back to back with a Cayman S at the track, I can tell you that the Spyder is a qualitatively better driver's car, one that reaches a "damn this is good" level of involvement, feedback, and pure fun. For me at least, the Cayman S did not impart the same experience, but I believe the Cayman CS (or whatever it's called) might.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,646 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by micahbones
My best guess is a Cayman with the Spyder philosophy applied. Having driven a Spyder back to back with a Cayman S at the track, I can tell you that the Spyder is a qualitatively better driver's car, one that reaches a "damn this is good" level of involvement, feedback, and pure fun. For me at least, the Cayman S did not impart the same experience, but I believe the Cayman CS (or whatever it's called) might.
it's the lack of wt.
take some wt off, any car would feel great.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

-For the street, Boxster Spyder is more than good enough — way more than good enough. Same can be said for current Cayman S. There's only so much performance you can use. Cayman R should be at least as good.
-For racing, none of the above make sense once you've tried a GT3 Cup or RSR, or Spec 911 or Spec 986 or Spec Whatever for that matter.
===> smart man. where were you when i was burning my money away???

Looking at the next 911's Panamera center console
===> you mean the 747 cockpit?

, and watching sales of the BS, I am very, very concerned about the marque I have long believed in, even through thick and thin, SUVs and sedans.
===> it's good for the mass mkt. everyone can drive porsches now. it used to be only nuts driving it. the SC and 3.2 clutch weren't easy and the heavy steering works up a head of sweat trying to park in tight SF.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How much more would 2 cilinders weigh? The Ruf is V8, with very little extra weight..
It's the longer wheel base that would add weight most I think.
The RUF V8 is supposedly 80lbs lighter...

"Nestled within the back of Stuttgart's finest, Ruf has managed to squeeze in a 4.5-liter V8 putting out 550 horsepower at its 8,500-rpm redline and 367 pound-feet of torque at 5,400 rpm. The 180-degree, flatcrank V8 is apparently custom designed by Ruf and comes complete with titanium connecting rods, a dry-sump lubrication system and spherical heads. And not only does it meet both U.S. and European emission standards, the whole swap is reportedly 80 pounds lighter than the 3.8-liter boxer-six it replaces."

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/03/g...8-porsche-911/
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
===> smart man. where were you when i was burning my money away???
At the office, like a moron. Like right now...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ADias
The 911 does not need more power. It needs to shed pounds, ...No! A sports car is not that. Let's not compromise.
i have the car for you.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by excmag
At the office, like a moron. Like right now...
me too.
i be working until 1am.
the up at 5am again.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
me too.
i be working until 1am.
the up at 5am again.
Want to grab a beer at 1:30 and coffee at 4:30?

What we should really do is go visit Ralph instead. I think I can make it up there in an hour, 45 or so. And as my wife likes to make fun for me for saying, "I can see deer at night."

pete
Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

"So here is the list of parts that need to be replaced to make a Cayman as good as a GT3.

- Engine
- Brakes
- Transmission
- Wheel carriers
- axles
- springs/shocks/bushings
- Aero
- starter motor
- power steering pump
- water pump
- alternator
- AC compressor"