Another Front Lift Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Originally Posted by Matrog
Same problem here. It wouldn't go down all the time w/ the button, but would if I exceeded 30 mph. This, of course, presented a problem when parking as the car would often remain in the lifted condition.

Stealer replaced the pump (under warranty) and all is well.

When you had the pump replaced, did the dealer see any code registered in the system?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Wish I could help. Honestly, though, I don't understand your dealer's attitude. I assume the car is under warranty. Since they can apparently duplicate the problem it's not your responsibility to determine what the issue is or what parts are required. The car is warrantied, it's their job to fix it, even if it means replacing the entire system.
Good luck.
I understand what you mean. I am just trying to be helpful to speed things up since the warranty is not paying for my time.

I'm puzzled, that there isn't an exchange board for Porsche dealer techs where trouble shooting results (at least for warranty work) are posted and shared. You would think that this would save Porsche a lot of labor time.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicopter
I understand what you mean. I am just trying to be helpful to speed things up since the warranty is not paying for my time.

I'm puzzled, that there isn't an exchange board for Porsche dealer techs where trouble shooting results (at least for warranty work) are posted and shared. You would think that this would save Porsche a lot of labor time.
I understand your situation. It does seem though that the dealer should be more pro-active in resolving this for you. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I am looking forward to posting "It's fixed!" soon
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

It begins with your pump generating less than enough pressure to hit the height where the computer registers the front axle in the "LIFTED" position. Which leaves your front sort of lifted but the pump is still grinding away trying to lift the car (you can hear that with the car lifted on an alignment rig). The computer is programmed to cut pump input and dump the gas reservoir at around 60kmh regardless of lift position, hence you're getting the "de-lift" by adding speed now.

But once this symptom starts the pump is on its way out. In my own case, total failure (i.e. no lift whatsoever) happened about 100-120 lifts (corresponding to two months' use for me) after the initial problem occurred.

I'm currently trying to get the lift system on my car fixed. It always goes up with the button, response is quick, it also holds the pressure, and speed always lowers it.

Unfortunately most of the time the "Lift" symbol does not show in the display as it used to. Therefore I can't lower it with the button again and have to park the car in the up position. My dealer scanned for codes but nothing was stored. (I have the problem since over a year.)
Same problem here. It wouldn't go down all the time w/ the button, but would if I exceeded 30 mph. This, of course, presented a problem when parking as the car would often remain in the lifted condition.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
It begins with your pump generating less than enough pressure to hit the height where the computer registers the front axle in the "LIFTED" position. Which leaves your front sort of lifted but the pump is still grinding away trying to lift the car (you can hear that with the car lifted on an alignment rig). The computer is programmed to cut pump input and dump the gas reservoir at around 60kmh regardless of lift position, hence you're getting the "de-lift" by adding speed now.

But once this symptom starts the pump is on its way out. In my own case, total failure (i.e. no lift whatsoever) happened about 100-120 lifts (corresponding to two months' use for me) after the initial problem occurred.
Thanks CRex. Did you have a code for the failing pump?

When I went in, the tech was able to duplicate the issue, but he doesn't know what to do/replace because there is no code. They want the car for troubleshooting, but I am not even really sure what they could do to troubleshoot... I really don't want to waste any time-- mine or the dealer's-- nor do I want to keep my car there for multiple days while they order parts and wait for them to come in. If I had a code maybe they would be able to stock the necessary parts, fix everything while I wait, and then I could go home happy. That would be the best case scenario for a minor repair like this.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Thanks CRex. Did you have a code for the failing pump?
No code. If you've been through PIWIS in detail there's not even a section related to the pump.

When I claimed the replacement under warranty the dealer said pretty much the same thing. "Not seeing any code, are you sure you pressed the lift and not the sports button?" they patronized. After they were able to consistently re-create the issue they started ordering replacement parts from Germany. By the time the gubbins arrived the OEM pump had flatlined and the front was scraping EVERYWHERE I went...

So yes, you def shouldn't wait for a code to push for warranty. Coz there's none!!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
So yes, you def shouldn't wait for a code to push for warranty. Coz there's none!!
Thanks, I will let my tech know.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 AM
mpack
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the lift option affect performance on the track in any way? I think the front springs are shorter. Also, I think the front lift option adds about 15 lb to the weight of the car.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpack
Does the lift option affect performance on the track in any way? I think the front springs are shorter. Also, I think the front lift option adds about 15 lb to the weight of the car.
Well if there's any impact my car is just as fast as, if not faster than non-lifted RS'es at the events I've been to. Get a Li-ion battery and be over with this weight debate. I'm a weight freak myself (car is net 3,010 pounds) but wouldn't go without this option for my particular needs. Open and shut case for me for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I wasn't provided the codes so I can't say. Sorry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Quote:

When you had the pump replaced, did the dealer see any code registered in the system?

Last edited by Matrog; 02-11-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I am looking forward to posting "It's fixed!" soon
"IT'S FIXED"! I just wanted to report back like I said I would My dealer was so cool and replaced the complete lifter assembly under warranty.

I hope it doesn't ever fail again when the car is out of warranty; MSRP for the complete lifter assembly is close to 10K plus labor. Anyway, thank you PORSCHE for making it right!!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

my failed
I sold it
lol
Old 05-28-2014, 01:04 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

Well I just got the Lift Malfunction message, it's acting up(2011, 11k miles).
So I'll head over to the dealer, seems to me this isn't an intermittent problem, it starts to fail then fails. But like Medicopter, I don't want my car sitting there for 3 weeks while parts come from Germany. Maybe they'll agree to diagnose it, order the parts and have me come back when they arrive(laughs)
Also, I've been changing my oil at 3k mile intervals(I know, overkill)and reset reminder with durametric-is there anything wrong with that? From reading other threads lots of members change their own oil and I assume it's fine

Thanks,
John
Old 05-28-2014, 09:35 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

So I tried again from a cold start, backed the car out of the garage and slowly the Lift came on in the dash. Drove 4 blocks slowly to see what happens, and it went down, "Lift Failure" message in the dashboard.

Then I did as someone suggested and "reset" the Lift. Held the button on, drove over a couple of speed bumps and it seems to be working again.
Is humidity a factor too? Who knows, next malfunction I'll take it to the dealer. I took a picture of the Lift Failure message

Quick Reply: Another Front Lift Problem