Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 Safety Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found split collar rings at Bimmerworld web site in one and half inch and one and three quarters inch diameters. Tony is a great guy and it is always best to buy locally but if you are not around or don't have the time this is another option
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

O.K., the UPS man just delivered my split collar rings. Nice! Here is the source:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6436k23/=9hr7s5

These have the 1-1/2" ID ones in a black oxide finish, so they blend in nicely with my wrinkle finish on the black powder coated roll bar. I have a HANS for myself, so the harness is 2" wide out to the roll bar. The collars fit nicely here. But on the passenger side, I have the standard 3" wide harness. With the TC Design roll bar's X configuration, there is no need for collars on this side. The harnesses nearly meet the outer bars as it is, so they won't spread out no matter what.

Now get me to the track!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Here is a photo of the installed split collar rings. The only thing better than these steel ones, IMHO, would have been aluminum with a black anodize - but I could not find them. I'm sure they exist somewhere!

Can't say enough good things about Tony at TC Design. Fantastic design, craftsmanship and flawless execution. And... he can drive the wheels off anything!
Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Here is a photo of the installed split collar rings. The only thing better than these steel ones, IMHO, would have been aluminum with a black anodize - but I could not find them. I'm sure they exist somewhere!

Can't say enough good things about Tony at TC Design. Fantastic design, craftsmanship and flawless execution. And... he can drive the wheels off anything!
well, yeah, after he made like 10 for my cars, he better have perfected the design

btw, you need to push the collars MUCH closer. my harness are touching each other. sorry, the car is in the trailer and trailer is far away, so no pix.

right, though i am not that fast, but not many 4 cylinder cars blow by me like i am standing still.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
btw, you need to push the collars MUCH closer. my harness are touching each other.
Thanks, Mooty! I just carefully re-read the Schroth installation manual and you, naturally, are 100% correct. I'll go out and make the proper adjustments and get the passenger side upgraded with the split collars as well.

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:25 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Not to brag (much!), but my last dry day at Thunderhill, in my first session of the day, (in the open group!), I passed 11 cars. If it weren't for the slow poke ahead of me on my out lap, and then the idiot who drove me off the road two laps later, I would have passed two or three more!

I'm so glad I have in-car video. Now I can actually remember what happened out there!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Thanks, Mooty! I just carefully re-read the Schroth installation manual and you, naturally, are 100% correct. I'll go out and make the proper adjustments and get the passenger side upgraded with the split collars as well.

Cheers!
passenger side.... who cares.
i dont have seat there. i strap my passenger with handcuffs on the cage. there is a reason why i cage all my cars. and saftey is just the by product.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
hlc
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a few questions regarding the Schroth GT3 harness use on the Porsche clubsport (RS) bar. I ordered shaft collars from mcmaster-carr in the 1-1/2" inside diameter and they are too small. What is the correct size?
The seat back is just over 18" from the bar so per Schroth it appears that the harness straps should be crossed in the back. Do the collars then go on the inside border of the straps with a 3" separation?

Thanks for the assistance!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by hlc
I have a few questions regarding the Schroth GT3 harness use on the Porsche clubsport (RS) bar. I ordered shaft collars from mcmaster-carr in the 1-1/2" inside diameter and they are too small. What is the correct size?
The seat back is just over 18" from the bar so per Schroth it appears that the harness straps should be crossed in the back. Do the collars then go on the inside border of the straps with a 3" separation?

Thanks for the assistance!
The OEM clubsport bar is 40mm in diameter excl. paint. In fact, certain sections of it (the driver's side crossbar where you mount the harness, for example) are even thicker.

I got the 40mm (bore size) collars from McMaster and they BARELY fit. Am pretty sure I scratched some paint on the cage during install. If I could do it again I would've bought the 1-11/16" and used racer's tape for padding the gap between the cage and collar (if any at all)

If you're using HANS, the shoulder straps are supposed to cross. Otherwise, no. You need FOUR collars per occupant if crossed (one on either side of each shoulder belt).

So much for weight reduction... these collars will be worth about 5 pounds when you're all set and done!!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:46 PM
hlc
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks CRex- McMaster was kind to take back the 1-1/2" collars which were exchanged for the 1-11/16". A small amount of padding tape was needed as you suggested. I did purchase the collars in aluminum this time to save a little weight. The collars were painted black to match the cage.

HLC
Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

So for the OEM Clubsport bar, 1-11/16" is the correct size???

TIA!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by hlc
Thanks CRex- McMaster was kind to take back the 1-1/2" collars which were exchanged for the 1-11/16". A small amount of padding tape was needed as you suggested. I did purchase the collars in aluminum this time to save a little weight. The collars were painted black to match the cage.

HLC

Now only if they would take mine back--I have about a dozen of them them in different sizes and finishes from trying to fit the different cages over the years

Quick Reply: 997.2 Safety Upgrades