PSDS 3 Day Competition Course

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:52 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PSDS 3 Day Competition Course

Just attended the course again, First time out after my incident, times were slower, but I survived and didn't wreck the car.

Can't say the same for another attendee, put the car into the wall at t4 and deployed the air bag! Oh well, **** does happen!

Everybody should attend, besides which Barber Motorsports Park is a hoot.

Did another "ROAD TRIP", this tine in my Panamera. Not too bad, getting 30 mpg
Old 10-24-2010, 12:04 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Great, Brian. Glad to hear you are back on the track! Wow, 30 MPG is unbelievable.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1. Did it with a buddy last year and it was awesome. Very challenging course and the learning was huge! Loved the racing starts!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I didn't know you had an 'incident' Brian. I hope you are OK.
I should make another stop at PSDS. It really is a great place. I'd love to go down there some time when there's a DE event in the same week as PSDS.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Just attended the course again, First time out after my incident, times were slower, but I survived and didn't wreck the car.

Can't say the same for another attendee, put the car into the wall at t4 and deployed the air bag! Oh well, **** does happen!

I gotta ask, how did the guy stuff the wall at t4? Was it on entry or exit? What wall? That's bizarre. Ive also done this course and im surprised.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
laelops
Intermediate

same question ran through my mind, was just there a few weeks back and not sure how you could get into the wall coming up the hill at turn 4
Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Brian: It's great to see you back on the track. May I ask you to describe your Panamera road trip? Do you have any video?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Turn 4 is the one up the short hill??? if so it is a bit trickey when wet and you get the urge to lift...
BTW: How many times have you attended this course...when I was there one of the instructors counted 22 times for you.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Turn 4 can surely make the car feel unsettled if your not steady at the wheel or have not fully unwound the wheel before the crest.
Maybe he was too far left before the crest and panicked?
Any reports from the instructors to teach the class what he did wrong?
I'd like to hear what the PSDS guys have to say.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to hear you're back on the track.

Hopefully the knucklehead that took the scenic tour at T4 had paid the up-front insurance deductible. : )

As for Barber, it is certainly one of those few tracks you can drive day after day and there's always new challenges.

30 mpg -- congratulations on choosing the V6. It's my favorite. I was "this" close to wasting money on a Turbo (discounted $32K) and someone was gracious enough to ask " ... and will you put the power kit on it after you get it?" Of course the Power Kit is an almost default first upgrade before the inevitable "Turbo S" or whatever and sure enough, a few weeks later, the option is available. I think the V6 is the pick of the litter -- at least until we see the gadgetry they pack into the Hybrid version (apparently far advanced from the Cayenne Hybrid.)
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Brian, never new you had an incident...when and where....glad you are doing well and back out on the track though.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I believe there was another PSDS accident at T4 a few years ago. Brian has the secret video of it!
Most likely a lift off throttle oversteer coming out of T3 and then coming across the track uphill toward the apex of T4.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

^ I think I was there right after that as the Instructors pointed out the skid marks and fresh Armco. However, the location was below T4; ie, on the rise b/t T3 & 4, so they were talking an 'off' from T3 not at T4. Or..., it could have been another OTE ;-). Anyhoo, the car definitely gets light at speed over that 'crest'..
Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I believe there was another PSDS accident at T4 a few years ago. Brian has the secret video of it!
Most likely a lift off throttle oversteer coming out of T3 and then coming across the track uphill toward the apex of T4.
Interestingly the driver of that car has returned to take the class 2 more times, the last class included!

The driver of the last incident did not relax his steering at the crest of the hill too let the car track out and also shifted.
The cars get "really light" at the crest of the hill with some wheel spin and PSM intervention....
Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interestingly the driver of that car has returned to take the class 2 more times, the last class included!

The driver of the last incident did not relax his steering at the crest of the hill too let the car track out and also shifted.
The cars get "really light" at the crest of the hill with some wheel spin and PSM intervention....
I could understand that kind of mistake in the 2-day, but not in the 3-day -- the driver should have learned the basics by then. Was it wet or foggy/cold?

Quick Reply: PSDS 3 Day Competition Course