Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Over rev DME logging.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Over rev DME logging.

I had a recent scan done on my car which showed "--- ---" in all 6 ranges for over revs on the car. I've never so much as hit the rev limiter in the car. I talked to 4 different FACTORY PORSCHE TECHS this morning, all told me that this is correct and "--- ---" is THE indication that my car has never been over rev'd in any range. I have one semi-interested party, he is telling me the other four techs are wrong and the engine needs to be running to perform the test, which is was by-the-way and he wants me to do it again because his tech "thinks" everyone else is wrong. He said his tech says the other four techs and tech supervisor are wrong! I call BS on this. Please chime in folks.

Last edited by schmidtwerk; 05-16-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

while you are most likely correct, whats wrong with having his tech check it out again on his dime?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

His tech is 3,000 miles away in Canada. I took the car to my local tech in Oregon. The Canadian tech said my tech is wrong, a tech from Barrier Porsche is wrong, and a tech from Carrera Motors is wrong, and a service writer tech is also wrong. They all laughed and one suggested I call the Canadian tech's supervisor and complain.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

BS! You have no overrevs.
If P mechanic says no overrevs = no overrevs.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:13 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Thanks Peter, that is exactly what I thought. Ironic, his tech says those ranges need to have numbers. So this guy will only buy a car with numbers in those ranges....that means he will only buy an over rev'd car!!!! Isn't that funny!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schmidtwerk
His tech is 3,000 miles away in Canada. I took the car to my local tech in Oregon. The Canadian tech said my tech is wrong, a tech from Barrier Porsche is wrong, and a tech from Carrera Motors is wrong, and a service writer tech is also wrong. They all laughed and one suggested I call the Canadian tech's supervisor and complain.
I'm in Toronto - what dealer is his tech from?

I can tell you that with 100% certainty the Durametric software, which I have, can read / communicate with the ECU as long as the key is in and the power is on (the engine with 100% certainty does not have to be cranked). You can confirm this with Durametric by calling them. This software also reads over revs.

If the software tool used was able to get the information you posted, it is clearly speaking with the ECU, ie the ECU has power and is speaking back.
The over rev ranges are just one of the many pieces of information that it is able to provide.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

other than money shift, how do you get over revs on this car? isn't this the purpose of rev limiter?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I'm in Toronto - what dealer is his tech from?

I can tell you that with 100% certainty the Durametric software, which I have, can read / communicate with the ECU as long as the key is in and the power is on (the engine with 100% certainty does not have to be cranked). You can confirm this with Durametric by calling them. This software also reads over revs.

If the software tool used was able to get the information you posted, it is clearly speaking with the ECU, ie the ECU has power and is speaking back.
The over rev ranges are just one of the many pieces of information that it is able to provide.
997GT3NORTH, so you agree, no over rev's correct? I'm waiting to hear where is "tech" is from in Toronto. Perhaps the interested party trying to sort this out. Seemed like a nice guy that has a standard GT3 now he is selling in Toronto.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Originally Posted by carrering
other than money shift, how do you get over revs on this car? isn't this the purpose of rev limiter?
Correct, missing a shift is the only shot at an over rev. Range one according to the tech manuals measured from 9,000-9,200 rpms. That would be a mechanical over rev via the wrong gear or a serious acceleration in 1st gear over rev perhaps.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Piwis tester can read this information with either ignition on or with the engine running. It doesnt matter.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--- --- means no over revs.... mine ppi over rev scan was the same...

you are all good
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Thanks, is the "piwis" the facory tester. I watched the tech to the scan, he used the factory Porsche scan lap top looking computer.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, is the "piwis" the facory tester. I watched the tech to the scan, he used the factory Porsche scan lap top looking computer.
Yes
Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

997GT3NORTH, so you agree, no over rev's correct? I'm waiting to hear where is "tech" is from in Toronto. Perhaps the interested party trying to sort this out. Seemed like a nice guy that has a standard GT3 now he is selling in Toronto.
- with 100% certainty, the engine doesn't need to be running - I have done it myself
- when i got my software a few years back i played with it for a few days
- go out to garage, key in ignition, turn key to on (engine not cranked), software can then talk to DME
- i did a 4.0 R&P and on my first day in my first 2nd gear corner blew through the 2nd gear limiter (came up so fast wasn't ready for it)
- with the engine off, but key on, I can read the tiny few ignition cycles that I over revved (I even posted about this years ago)
- I saw the number, thought it was large, but didn't at the time understand that ignition cycles is not distinct events but that so many cycles = 1 engine rotation at the rpm = seconds in over rev - anyway, I have 1/10th of a second of type 1 (no 2,3,4,5,6) over revs because of the one and only time I went through the limiter in 2nd gear
- in my case, in 2nd with a 4.0 r&p, even though the computer cuts the gas, the rpms raised enough to record these type 1 over revs for what was basically 1/10th of a second
- and they can be seen with the engine OFF

- hope that helps

- i'm not going to say with 100% certainty that your car has no over revs, I didn't do the scan on your car and see it with my own eyes but if a potential buyer isn't satisfied with an official well known P Dealers scan, then there isn't really anything you can do
Old 10-15-2010, 04:59 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Awesome input! Thanks again for your post, that is exacty what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Over rev DME logging.