Annoying as hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's the torque reaction arm for the gear reduction in a torque multiplier like the Armstrong I use.

It might be nice to have the torque reacting to the arm of the wheel, but it presents a condition that there's then leverage between the wheel and the axle while the nut tries to locate the wheel centered on the mating surfaces of the two cones. This is how Porsche does it for the Carrera GT (without the involvement of the floating cone of the 2010 centerlock design) but I'm not convinced it's ideal.

For now, I have the reaction arm "working" against a block of wood on the ground (to avoid gouging my precious garage floor) but I have thought about creating an "elbow" that would use the wheel. What I have is quick and pretty much idiot proof and makes short work of this tedious torque-release-re-torque. Since I greased up and went to 600nm, the splines of the locking mechanism have not been "stuck" (in other words, the wheel is not turning on the hub.)
ur method makes a lot of sense.
when can you do a local demonstration?
that is when you are not too fashionably late in the morning so i can bug you for a demo.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:37 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
IF you really want the color you want just forget about PTS from the factory. Get it painted the way you want it here in the states by a reputable paint shoppe.

Still waiting to see that GULF Blue and Orange GT3RSMKII one of these days in person.
I used to be of this mind-set until watching the National Geographic"Megafactories" and the paint process.

I know of NO private paint shop in North America that has the ability to replicate the Porsche process as seen in this video ......... WOW !
Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I know of NO private paint shop in North America that has the ability to replicate the Porsche process as seen in this video ......... WOW !
They all do this now, EVEN CHEVROLET and the vette!!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't talking about replicating what Porsche and all the other manufacturers can do.

Plenty of shops can do a better paint job than what can be produced at a factory. Of course I'm speaking off the cuff and would have to do research to find a really good shop. But I'm certain Eric the Plug dude could help me out in this situation.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
I used to be of this mind-set until watching the National Geographic"Megafactories" and the paint process.

If you watch the other factories in that History Channel series, the Lambo and Audi factories have the same electrostatic dip and air-less booth methods. This is mostly because the paint today is junk. Lambo at least goes to the expensive of a ceramic clear coat, which is I guess a tiny bit tougher than the acrylic. How I long for the days of the mineral single stage white paint on my 964!

In any case, the basic facts haven't changed for Porsche since the 996 -- robots are used only for the windshield and the paint. Everything else is hand-built and the front fenders get dropped on and fixed by hand, which explains why the geometry of the car is taken from the frame, not the chassis, and why the offset of the body from the suspension is rarely if ever symmetrical.

After watching the Porsche "megafactory" I watched the Audi R8 (horrible car and built in such a ham-fisted way, it's really not pleasant) and the Lamborghini which really impressed me as being labor intensive and very much a hand-built car -- none of the "automaton" robot-like workers that we see in Porsche, the Lambo workers are real people and they each have very big parts to play, none of this "five minutes and everything keeps rolling, profit, profit profit." And Ferrari is even a little more romantic -- one guy builds the 599 V12 620hp engine. That is what I call a hand built car! Of course the romance dies when you experience the quality and then you rekindle your love for the "as if hewn from a single billet" strength of the 911 and all is right with the world.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:54 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i believe a single master engine builder puts together the entire engine for the GT cars at zuffenhausen. at least, thats what the tour guide told me.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:51 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If you watch the other factories in that History Channel series, the Lambo and Audi factories have the same electrostatic dip and air-less booth methods. This is mostly because the paint today is junk. Lambo at least goes to the expensive of a ceramic clear coat, which is I guess a tiny bit tougher than the acrylic. How I long for the days of the mineral single stage white paint on my 964!

In any case, the basic facts haven't changed for Porsche since the 996 -- robots are used only for the windshield and the paint. Everything else is hand-built and the front fenders get dropped on and fixed by hand, which explains why the geometry of the car is taken from the frame, not the chassis, and why the offset of the body from the suspension is rarely if ever symmetrical.

After watching the Porsche "megafactory" I watched the Audi R8 (horrible car and built in such a ham-fisted way, it's really not pleasant) and the Lamborghini which really impressed me as being labor intensive and very much a hand-built car -- none of the "automaton" robot-like workers that we see in Porsche, the Lambo workers are real people and they each have very big parts to play, none of this "five minutes and everything keeps rolling, profit, profit profit." And Ferrari is even a little more romantic -- one guy builds the 599 V12 620hp engine. That is what I call a hand built car! Of course the romance dies when you experience the quality and then you rekindle your love for the "as if hewn from a single billet" strength of the 911 and all is right with the world.
+1 on your paint remarks.

About the body panels and hand assembly I have to say that since the first 996s rolled down the line they took benefit from the then new and “updated” manufacturing and assembly line, and despite the fact that many things were still installed or welded by hand, Porsche had an almost zero tolerance policy for body structure dimension differences, their accepted ranges allow no more than ± 1-2mm difference.
For the body panel gaps they have a zero differences tolerance policy. Using the special star gauge tool workers measure gaps and make sure they are perfect or car doesn’t walk out the building.
On the other hand the old Ferrari 360 had one door gap of 0.5cm on one side and on the other I could fit my finger inside.. Only lately they caught up or so I hear.

So measuring height from the body and not from the panels has nothing to do with bad fitment from factory but probably provides a constant point of measurement for the whole cars life despite changes on the panels dimension due to different models or bad repairs or normal wear.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 911SLOW; 10-31-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Annoying as hell