Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Annoying as hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Cancel the order and buy Mooty's. Save some $$$. Duh.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
for a white RS with no option, I doubt that they can do anything wrong with your order.
you are wrong.
the radio delete box should come with two rubber mats in it. oh, and i dont have the big round lug that takes off the CL.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Cancel the order and buy Mooty's. Save some $$$. Duh.
+1, just add radio delete box rubber mats and the big round lug that takes off the CL and presto the prefect RS at 15K discount!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
FWIW, the GT 3 series is 3/4 hand built so scheduling is a little challenging as a small, specialized team builds all of these cars.
huh?

The GT3 is built on the same "chain" as any other 911. There are some stations where they do different stuff ofcourse (such as installing the rear spoiler).
Old 10-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
huh?

The GT3 is built on the same "chain" as any other 911. There are some stations where they do different stuff ofcourse (such as installing the rear spoiler).
That's interesting. I was under the impression that the GT3 and RS get built on their respective platforms (C4 and C4S) until all the conventional "VIN specific" parts go into the car, on the same production line as the Carrera. Since the engine and transmission are different, the car also gets different wiring, electronics, dash and so on. Then the GT's get different suspension and cabin trim obviously enough, but that could just as easily be done on the Carrera line if the factory has the flexibility to handle the tooling to do both Carrera and GT3 suspension components on the one line.

As I understand it, Porsche is still 99% hand built for all cars -- the only robots are to paint and to install the front glass. Given that it's a robotic paint booth, the nonsense about "paint to sample" is just rude -- if they have the paint codes in the factory stock settings, charging for any of these colors is just gouging. The last time I saw a car actually painted to sample was the 993 and then you really could do the old "lipstick on a napkin" and they'd send back a match and you'd have to accept the result. If I was going to do PTS, I'd want a unique color, not just any of the factory stock colors -- and I don't see the hoopla in changing the color of the wing ends and stickers on the RS ... perhaps they're discouraging people from building clown cars which could lead to diminished resale value if there was a plethora of oddball colors?

It would be interesting to get first-hand information on how the factory handles the production line.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVkyGCmEOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-oB_zXzcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYRga4fC6aM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFalL5kfQfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYvxjSvuRo
Old 10-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Fascinating video. Interesting to see what looks like a "torque and re-torque" of the centerlock.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's irony for you: So long as you can order an RS, you shouldn't.

I think I know your reasons. I ask why anyway ...
Just a taste of irony. The secondary market prices will stay low as long as there is available production to order a car to spec. So the smart thing is to buy a used one today. Conversely, as soon as all the production slots are taken and there's no way to order a car to spec, supply is capped and prices will strengthen over time, making it "wise" to have purchased a new car to spec. This coupling of primary production and secondary supply is unique to cars like the RS, but it can be broken (such as with the Ferrari 430 Scuderia) so, as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Hopefully most RS buyers are drivers, not speculators and so the business is one of "loss minimization" rather than any attempt to profit, it's just a matter of a fair market value at any point when you step into the river. As someone posted here recently, an owner in 2010 can likely drive an RS for most of 2011 without seeing much change in resale value, so it's just operating cost and cost of opportunity to have, say US$150K tied up. Maybe $2K per month for a California driver. I think this will be true regardless of any forthcoming 997 models -- if the rumored 500hp RS comes along and it's sensational, it improves the current car, too. If the 500hp car is, as rumored, something like 50% more expensive, that only raises the neighborhood.

It's too early to bore ourselves with the usual rounds of speculation on what the 991 will do to the 997. For the foreseeable future (at least two years) there won't be a GT class of 991, so "we" are "safe" for the time being. Conversely, anyone getting into the 997 Carrera models (and probably the Panameras) will suffer the consequences of being late to market and holding the "old" car just as the "new" car comes along. While "we" here on Rennlist might count ourselves as enthusiast drivers, the majority of Porsche buyers are status seekers of one sort of another -- they will want the status of having the "new" one and the perceived value of the "old" one will be significantly diminished. We might even see the deep discounting of 2009 repeated through the course of 2011 in order to spur sales as news of the new car spreads. Again, Porsche will be milking the Carrera market value, not the GT cars, so we'll be reasonably well insulated from these blunders.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i want that tool they used to put on the CL. it has a little arm hooked on to the spokes, probaby to help achieve certain torque?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Groupbuy!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i want that tool they used to put on the CL. it has a little arm hooked on to the spokes, probaby to help achieve certain torque?
That's the torque reaction arm for the gear reduction in a torque multiplier like the Armstrong I use.

It might be nice to have the torque reacting to the arm of the wheel, but it presents a condition that there's then leverage between the wheel and the axle while the nut tries to locate the wheel centered on the mating surfaces of the two cones. This is how Porsche does it for the Carrera GT (without the involvement of the floating cone of the 2010 centerlock design) but I'm not convinced it's ideal.

For now, I have the reaction arm "working" against a block of wood on the ground (to avoid gouging my precious garage floor) but I have thought about creating an "elbow" that would use the wheel. What I have is quick and pretty much idiot proof and makes short work of this tedious torque-release-re-torque. Since I greased up and went to 600nm, the splines of the locking mechanism have not been "stuck" (in other words, the wheel is not turning on the hub.)
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Since I greased up and went to 600nm, the splines of the locking mechanism have not been "stuck" (in other words, the wheel is not turning on the hub.)
Can you clarify this please? What do you mean? Did they get stuck when only torqueing to 500? And where does this come from?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Can you clarify this please? What do you mean? Did they get stuck when only torqueing to 500? And where does this come from?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...read-this.html
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you really want the color you want just forget about PTS from the factory. Get it painted the way you want it here in the states by a reputable paint shoppe.

Still waiting to see that GULF Blue and Orange GT3RSMKII one of these days in person.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Yes I know, I am asking about the locking mechanism getting stuck. Apparently he knows why this happens and I would like to know as I had it too a couple of times already.

Quick Reply: Annoying as hell