Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you trade 2011 GT3RS for 2008 GT3 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

But upshift on those are full throttle no lift upshift with no clutch, right? Or?

On a motorcycle (sequential), one can just back off the throttle slightly and shift into the next gear.. and for full throttle upshift, some electronics can be installed in the shift linkage just to cut the ignition / timing briefly so unload the gear..
Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

no clutch upshifts. clutch and blip downshifts.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
But upshift on those are full throttle no lift upshift with no clutch, right? Or?

On a motorcycle (sequential), one can just back off the throttle slightly and shift into the next gear.. and for full throttle upshift, some electronics can be installed in the shift linkage just to cut the ignition / timing briefly so unload the gear..
right, up is easy.
it's the DOWN that you will mess up.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i agree.
i have bought my last $ street car.
from now on it's just race cars and bigger and bigger trucks.

just so you know...you will then sooner than later dump the trucks and trailers and hire full time support for your racing and transportation needs at the cost of 10-15 K per race weekend (not including possible damage repairs)....8 -10 races a year and a couple of tranny's and rebuilds and you will have then slipped off of the slippery slope and entered the insane zone. its unavoidable....ask me how I know!!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leif997
just so you know...you will then sooner than later dump the trucks and trailers and hire full time support for your racing and transportation needs at the cost of 10-15 K per race weekend (not including possible damage repairs)....8 -10 races a year and a couple of tranny's and rebuilds and you will have then slipped off of the slippery slope and entered the insane zone. its unavoidable....ask me how I know!!
Lol...

Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

haha. luckily we dont have arrive and drive shops in nor cal....

PCA racing here is EXTREMELY different than on your side of the country. cost is much more contained. i think PCA knows that 99% of california income is paid into mortgage
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I guess that's how the big boys play!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL ........ That's why it's ALWAYS better to race with OPM(other peoples money) ....ask me how I know!!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just so you know...you will then sooner than later dump the trucks and trailers and hire full time support for your racing and transportation needs at the cost of 10-15 K per race weekend (not including possible damage repairs)....!!
I purposely didn't want to mention this part.......
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

like i said earlier; special car with special needs. much cheaper would be an arrive and drive program like the radical guys do here in sydney....dunno if you have a programme over there?
www.radicalaustralia.com.au
Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

haha. luckily we dont have arrive and drive shops in nor cal....
If I'd race I would not own my truck, trailer, tools, even a track car for that matter.
The garage would clean up nicely.

Mooty, the arrive and drive shops don't need to be close when all you do is fly to race track and bring is your helmet..
Plenty of full service arrive and drive in South Florida that travel all over the country to race and you would become even more famous with all the TV coverage!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 AM
AndreGT3
Intermediate

I am a racing driver too. The costs are outrages driving at racing teams.

Putting a GT3 or RS on trackdays is cheap compared to that. A cup car needs lot of maintance after several running hours. The costs are real high. You must ask youreself what kind of fun you want and if its worth all the hassle.

For me. I would just buy a GT3 RS. Get a cayenne with transporter put youre GT3 RS on it. Take some slicks with you and put a good moton suspension on it. And you will not be a lot slower than a GT3 cup. Plus you can build youre RS back to original and can trade it in or sell it more easily.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

I still don't understand why running a street RS on track would be cheaper or lower maintenance than running a 996 Cup (I'm excluding 997 Cup due the sequential box). Do the Cup cars use less durable motors, transmissions, axles, brakes, etc. than the street cars?

I suspect that once you start subjecting your street RS to dedicated track duty the suggested maintenance schedule goes out the window and becomes much more like a Cup...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I still don't understand why running a street RS on track would be cheaper or lower maintenance than running a 996 Cup (I'm excluding 997 Cup due the sequential box). Do the Cup cars use less durable motors, transmissions, axles, brakes, etc. than the street cars?

I suspect that once you start subjecting your street RS to dedicated track duty the suggested maintenance schedule goes out the window and becomes much more like a Cup...
+1.

From most perspectives, the same parts. Just because it is a street car, you don't get out of ultimately replacing axles, maintaining the engine and tranny if driving to redline with each shift, wear and tear on all suspension parts, bearings, and the frequent replacement of pads and rotors. And obviously, the street cars are heavier. Add slicks to a street car, and the maintenance could be as much or more than a cup.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

+1 All these years that is the question I am asking myself.
And came up with your answer as a no alternative.

Even tried to correlate klm with running hours and still made sense considering average speeds of race cars.

Quick Reply: Would you trade 2011 GT3RS for 2008 GT3 Cup