Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you trade 2011 GT3RS for 2008 GT3 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cup motor rebuilds: 25k. They will need em ... at times as soon as 25 hours.

But hell, just do it. A pure track car is food for the soul!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
How much does a Cup car cost to run nowadays? It seems the money & support to run a Cup car can be much higher than a RS, year in and year out.

If we are planning to actually participate in some races and to win some trophies, the Cup car is a ticket to the game. Otherwise, the RS might be easier-going to run; just regular items like oil, fluid, tires, pads, tune-ups, etc.

Regards,
After talking to a bunch of owners I did the math on running costs for a DE season. Turning the rev limiter down a couple hundred RPM and driving relatively conservatively would give me between 75-100 hours before rebuilds. Assuming I run 40 - 50 hours of DE's a season, I'm looking at an engine rebuild every 1.5 to 2.0 years. Average running costs including fuel, engine rebuilds, brakes, tires and maintenance would be about $30k per year. This assumes no racing. Costs easily triple if racing is involved. So my positive cash from the deal would buy my first year of operating costs.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just cruising DE's in a CUP car does not seem to warrant the switch.

Just my crazy take on racing and race cars;
Going racing is like getting a second job if you want to compete. A job adds stress, you must test, adjust, analyze, setup, practice, tell people what to do, etc.

I'm not much of an outdoors man, but racing to me is like camping with noise.

As you indicated, maybe you can keep it in the middle and just chase qualifying laps that the race car drivers achieved during the last race at that particular track?

If you go fanatic, just keep in mind that while the others are sitting back and relax in between track sessions, you might be frustrated on the job instead?

If you like the challenge and pressure, switch if you want to sit back and relax, don't switch?

Great point of view. I'm more of a weekend warrior than a track rat. I run about 20-25 days a year. I enjoy it, I use up a ton of vacation time doing it, but that means I want to maximize and enjoy my time at the track. I can unload in ten minutes and I rarely have to open my tool box. I think I'm a decent driver. I usually run in the top 3rd of the pack, but I'm not close to the fastest car. I also know that I'm not even realizing the full potential of my RS, so a Cup Car would widen that gap. I would most like ly be in over my head for the first season.

I ran at Monticello recently. There was a 997 Cup there also. He had a pit crew. He ran 3 laps and smoked the brakes. Another few laps and he was back in the pit for a tranny issue. The car had to be tweaked between every run and it was parked before lunch. I logged 6 solid hours of driving in my RS over 1.5 days and all I had to do was drop some tire pressure when the track temp warmed up after lunch. So as much as I'm intrigued. As much as I understand that Cup cars are special. I'm still not convinced it would be a good fit for me as a Track Day car. My home track in now Monticello. I can run for 90 minutes at a stretch if I want to, very different than a PCA DE. My RS does that without a hitch. Will it wear down over the next year or so, sure. But I'm not beating on it too hard and I'm ultra conservative on downshifts. So for now, I think I'll stick with the RS and see what things look like next summer.

As a side note one of my other deciding factors was measuring my driving over the last couple of track days relative to a cup car. I would have flat spotted a couple sets of tires and I would have looped the car at least twice. ABS and SC saved me with the RS. I could tell myself I would have been less aggressive in the Cup, but then what's the point. The RS let's me test my limits with less severe consequences. 98% of the time, the nannies stay quiet. But on those occasions when I stretch my ability a bit too far, I sure like having them. Knowing that the nannies were there, I was able to take 10 seconds off my average lap time over the 2 days. My last lap was my fastest and my smoothest. Almost like having a built in instructor. When you screw up, they tell you and they also hold you back enough to keep you safe.

Thanks for all of the great responses. You guys made the decision not to buy a tough one.

Last edited by BBTurbo; 10-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

well done! top prognosis. you, sir, are a realist. you have weighed it up beautifully and your analysis is refreshingly honest, and realworld. i like your style.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:02 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Can someone tell me why a Cup car doesn't have ABS and TC? Sorry for the dumb question.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

The car had to be tweaked between every run and it was parked before lunch. I logged 6 solid hours of driving in my RS over 1.5 days and all I had to do was drop some tire pressure when the track temp warmed up after lunch.
Enough said
Just having driving fun is what it is all about. Some drivers are also tinkerers and love to mess with the car all day as much as they like driving. If I remember to lower tire pressure I'm really into my laptime, if I adjust swaybars, I am being fanatical ;-) having to sweat to change wheels, pads or rotors I try to avoid at all cost. If there are any track support guys there I ask them to do it and pay; I'm on vacation after all
Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
I ran at Monticello recently. There was a 997 Cup there also. He had a pit crew. He ran 3 laps and smoked the brakes. Another few laps and he was back in the pit for a tranny issue. The car had to be tweaked between every run and it was parked before lunch.

As a side note one of my other deciding factors was measuring my driving over the last couple of track days relative to a cup car. I would have flat spotted a couple sets of tires and I would have looped the car at least twice. ABS and SC saved me with the RS. I could tell myself I would have been less aggressive in the Cup, but then what's the point. The RS let's me test my limits with less severe consequences. 98% of the time, the nannies stay quiet. But on those occasions when I stretch my ability a bit too far, I sure like having them. Knowing that the nannies were there, I was able to take 10 seconds off my average lap time over the 2 days. My last lap was my fastest and my smoothest. Almost like having a built in instructor. When you screw up, they tell you and they also hold you back enough to keep you safe.

Thanks for all of the great responses. You guys made the decision not to buy a tough one.
This is why most guys that are using Cups for DE/track days verses racing are running 996s and not 997s. ABS and no sequential box makes for more forgiving, lower cost car. I was at Monticello a few weekends ago and rode in a guy's 996 Cup. As good as the RS is, there's no substituting for a real race car on track, and it's safer to boot. FWIW, he had 200hrs in the motor and it was still running strong.

If I had your wallet I'd buy a 996 Cup, leave it at Monticello, and by a Panapoopoo for the 4hr hump back and forth from MA.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Well once u do cup u may also dump your gt2rs as well. Mike
Absolutely spot on. I have a few friends that actually dumped their GT2s and GT3s after they got a cup car. They now drive Conti GTs and 599s on the street and never bring them to the track. The cup car will eradicate any need for a dual personality car.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
I logged 6 solid hours of driving in my RS over 1.5 days ... relative to a cup car ... I would have flat spotted a couple sets of tires and I would have looped the car at least twice. ABS and SC saved me with the RS. I could tell myself I would have been less aggressive in the Cup, but then what's the point. The RS let's me test my limits with less severe consequences. 98% of the time, the nannies stay quiet. But on those occasions when I stretch my ability a bit too far, I sure like having them. Knowing that the nannies were there, I was able to take 10 seconds off my average lap time over the 2 days. My last lap was my fastest and my smoothest. Almost like having a built in instructor. When you screw up, they tell you and they also hold you back enough to keep you safe.
I have a similar observation and perspective. In the 2010 cars, I think it's appropriate to drop the "nannies" label and call the electronics "safeties." They're so good in the new RS, amateur driver's need never concern themselves with "intervention" slowing them down -- if the SC/TC PSM "safeties" intervened, you were doing it wrong.

Running SC/TC on in the RS won't save you from yourself -- if you go into a turn where the limits of traction amount to 90 mph and you're doing 100, you'll get away with a scalding. If you're doing 130, you're toast and no amount of inside rear brake and throttle trim will be sufficient -- those four tires simply can't keep that projectile on the track surface.

Of course, it's only a matter of time before Porsche or some other vendor releases a PSM that "learns" a track or reads the GPS to know what the road is doing or what the traffic is doing up ahead and it will be able to intervene as you approach a blind crest and slow the car before you lift off even though you and the car have never been on that road before. That technology exists in the R&D lab today, but it's probably another generation away before Mercedes (most likely) brings it to market.

[tangent alert]
Sadly, these are the same manufacturers that do things like buy the patent for a technology to automatically deploy a canister of puncture sealant if a convention car tire suddenly loses pressure, which could save hundreds of lives every year in the US alone and cost practically nothing to install after-market or be incorporated with the tpms in new cars. But they buy those patents or acquire the rights to those inventions and then the tire makers build wildly expensive "run flat" tires that have the weakness of a harsh ride and less traction than a conventional tire, but they create so much profit that the tire maker puts them on the new cars for "free" because then the customer finds out they cost twice as much as conventional tires, but since there's no longer a spare, the car owner feels compelled to stick with the run flats. Conspiracy? I do not see any other explanation.
So we'll probably have to buy "lane departure" and whatever other technology for a few years because it's cheap to throw a camera on a door mirror and have it false and beep its head off, but it brings the "fear" and that brings the profit. Perhaps after a decade or so, the technology we could have today will eventually arrive in cars once it's obsolescent and the manufacturers are looking for fresh profits.
[/tangent alert]
Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

I have both cars and last week I took my GT3 RS to the Track for the first time.

In one word the RS was "RUBBISH" compared to the Cup Car at the track.

Having stated this, the RS makes the Cup feel like "RUBBISH" on some many other different levels.

After considering the vehicles that you already own I would do it, however I will just say this, you can say that you are going to the turn the engine down and all of those other $$$ saving things, however this will dilute the cup experience.

Cup Cars are FUGGIN EXPENSIVE to run, the tyres, brakes, front splitters are the constant things that nag at you. The major things = Engine, drive shafts, gearbox, clutch, they are the things that HURT!!

Not to mention the whole transport, un load, set up, tyre change scenario is utter B/S!! I hate this the most!! As a matter of fact, I couldn't be arsed taking my Cup out when I consider all of the time it takes to go out in it!!

I hope that this helps???
Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

dilute the cup experience.
FUGGIN EXPENSIVE constant things that nag at you
things that HURT!!
utter B/S!!
I hate this the most!!
I couldn't be arsed taking my Cup out when I consider all of the time it takes to go out in it!!
I thought I summerize ;-)
Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

cup car is like an emerging crackwhore - fun for a night, but you wouldn't dream of marrying her.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
I have both cars and last week I took my GT3 RS to the Track for the first time.

In one word the RS was "RUBBISH" compared to the Cup Car at the track.

Having stated this, the RS makes the Cup feel like "RUBBISH" on some many other different levels.

After considering the vehicles that you already own I would do it, however I will just say this, you can say that you are going to the turn the engine down and all of those other $$$ saving things, however this will dilute the cup experience.

Cup Cars are FUGGIN EXPENSIVE to run, the tyres, brakes, front splitters are the constant things that nag at you. The major things = Engine, drive shafts, gearbox, clutch, they are the things that HURT!!

Not to mention the whole transport, un load, set up, tyre change scenario is utter B/S!! I hate this the most!! As a matter of fact, I couldn't be arsed taking my Cup out when I consider all of the time it takes to go out in it!!

I hope that this helps???
perfect summary of why I think I will never get a cup car. I just cant afford it... and besides this is just a hobby for me.... I aint ever gonna be a good driver.

Quick Reply: Would you trade 2011 GT3RS for 2008 GT3 Cup