Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Breaking Centerlocking Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoda
Peter, I will eat more cheese. Do you use all three sections of the torque wrench?

KBS911 - So do you use a breaker bar or this steering wheel brake bar?
The breaker bar is for the wheels/nuts. The steering wheel bar is an adjustable rod that depresses the brake on one end and braces against the steering wheel on the other end to prevent the front wheels from rotating. The emergency brake will take care of the rears.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 AM
joejoda
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read the precision instrument instruction manual and it specifically states to not use the full size wrench to break the nut. I do push down instead of pulling up, and I usually place the wrench parallel to the ground. I think the key is more leverage. I need a longer breaker bar. I see that some use the 40" breaker bar. Does anyone use anything longer? For those that use the 40" bar, does that work well for you?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
i use the entire torque wrench as well. just set it up to max 600ft lbs and set it on reverse. the fully assembled torque wrench is longer and more sturdy than the single piece 40" breaker bar from tooltopia meaning its easier to break free the centerlock nut. i place it at a -45 degree angle from vertical and push down versus pulling up the other way.
I also do this, I have a 44" torque wrench and set it at 600ft/lbs to loosen the center-lock nuts. It really doesn't take make effort to break them loose, leverage does 90% of the work.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Polarporsche
I also do this, I have a 44" torque wrench and set it at 600ft/lbs to loosen the center-lock nuts. It really doesn't take make effort to break them loose, leverage does 90% of the work.
OK, this brings up a question. I torque my wheels to spec then reverse the torque wrench and back of the recommended 1/6 turn, then re-tighten back to spec. so I'm using the wrench as a breaker bar, no? Wonder if I should back off the 1/6 turn with the breaker bar before I re-tighten? I double check torque before events and they retain torque so what to do?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
OK, this brings up a question. I torque my wheels to spec then reverse the torque wrench and back of the recommended 1/6 turn, then re-tighten back to spec. so I'm using the wrench as a breaker bar, no? Wonder if I should back off the 1/6 turn with the breaker bar before I re-tighten? I double check torque before events and they retain torque so what to do?
I use the 3' snap on breaker bar and have a 32mm nomimal length of pipe (5') for extra leverage if required. I use the torque wrench to torque them up, the breaker to ease them off 1/6th and the torque wrench to retorque. A little fiddley but quick if you have someone in the car, on the brake... By the way, to date, haven't needed the 5' pipe for extra leverage, the breaker was fine... We'll see how we go with 600ft/lb...
Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
I use the 3' snap on breaker bar and have a 32mm nomimal length of pipe (5') for extra leverage if required. I use the torque wrench to torque them up, the breaker to ease them off 1/6th and the torque wrench to retorque. A little fiddley but quick if you have someone in the car, on the brake... By the way, to date, haven't needed the 5' pipe for extra leverage, the breaker was fine... We'll see how we go with 600ft/lb...
Thanks. I think I'll use the breaker bar to back off the 1/6 turn. Now I need to get another Porsche C/L socket so I don't have to keep changing from b/bar to torque wrench. Mo money, mo money.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:42 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Thanks. I think I'll use the breaker bar to back off the 1/6 turn. Now I need to get another Porsche C/L socket so I don't have to keep changing from b/bar to torque wrench. Mo money, mo money.
Hey KBS,

Save yourself the $$$! I do it with just two socket changes! I torque them all up, change to breaker bar, back them all off, change to torque wrench and torque them all up again! Presto... its done...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Hey KBS,

Save yourself the $$$! I do it with just two socket changes! I torque them all up, change to breaker bar, back them all off, change to torque wrench and torque them all up again! Presto... its done...
I agree with the above process. As far as tools, I just use a 600 ft lb Torque wrench for on and a 40" breaker bar for off. Takes two people and you may have to run the car to heat the brakes up for more grip. The fronts can be a bear, especially if you run a lot of DE's. Seems like multiple heat cycles seizes them up a bit. That may be why Porsche has the new torque procedure with grease.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
assemble the tool as if you are putting on the wheel nut.
there's a little flip switch at the head of the tool, flip it.
then remove the hand part (the part with ft/lb gauge)
now untorque the nut.
Well done Moot! You're in touch with your inner shade-tree mechanic!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Hey KBS,

Yep, that makes sense. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Well done Moot! You're in touch with your inner shade-tree mechanic!
You don't even need to remove that part. Just push on the middle bar instead of the one containing the actual torque wrench.

So, pull on the wrench, *CLICK*, flip the switch, push on the middle bar to loosen, flip the switch, pull on the wrench, *CLICK* and done.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys I've just been reading this thread and wanted to ask if it was safe to surmise that the wheels with center lock as the least beneficial mod for the Mk 2?

Quick Reply: Breaking Centerlocking Wheels