Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2011 GT3 is finally here......brake dust!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010 | 01:50 AM
IAortho
Instructor

Default 2011 GT3 is finally here......brake dust!!

Hey guys! Well, after a long wait, it is finally here......just the way I wanted it too! I know it isn't an RS, but wow, it is such an amazing car. And in my eyes, one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Thanks to all the Rennlisters for their helpful insight and fervor about this Porsche model -- it really did convince me to get a GT3 over other 911's.

Now that I have it, I have two questions: What is up with all the brake dust? I drove the car home 360 miles from the dealership, 95% on Interstate highway, and my wheels looked like carbon instead of the clean "satin" look. Didn't brake much......and yes, the emergency brake was off! All four wheels were evenly coated from the steel brakes.

Also, after looking at the owner's manual the following day, I noticed it was for the 911 Turbo and Turbo S, not GT3. There must be a GT3 specific owner's manual, right???? It is a different engine block after all. Would this be a dealer error, or an error made in Germany before transport?

Having no real idea what to expect other than what fellow Rennlisters said, I can attest that 1. the engine/exhaust note is phenomenal and addicting. 2. The clutch is firm, but not heavy. 3. Sound Package Plus is pleasantly better than I expected, really. 4. The ride is firm, but in no way punishing. It is exactly what I was hoping for from my dream Porsche!!!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2010 | 02:01 AM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

On the cover of your owners manual does it have a picture of a red mk.2 GT3? If not I think yours isn't correct unless they changed the manual for the 11's which I couldn't imagine they would. Also I can't share your break dust experiences since I have the ceramic's, but I have never heard anyone complain to much about their steels. Also, I'm curious as to what clutch you think is heavy if you don't think this one is! Congrats on the new ride!!
Old 10-05-2010 | 02:29 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Brake dust is normal as in many (if not most) German cars, my Mercedes has as much brake dust as my GT3. Of course, the $8,840 PCCB will eliminate the brake dust for good.

And then, it is also no biggie on the brake dust. Just go to Costco and get a big bag of microfiber clothes (the yellow one. Price so nice that can be disposable) and a big box of latex gloves.

Every now and then, you will go to your garage to admire your car. While you are there, put on a latex glove and grab a microfiber cloth, genty wipe the brake dust off the wheels. When you are done, just throw the used glove and cloth in the trash. It takes only a couple minutes, and will keep the wheels 95% clean enough between car washes.

Regards,

Old 10-05-2010 | 02:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a mistake with the owner's manual.

For brake dust, this idea that PCCB's have less dust is something that seems to originate with a Porsche marketing interview, but it's illogical to say the least! The "dust" is the pad material and unrelated to the rotor. Yes, the rotor is iron or ceramic and that could introduce electrical charge that might make the pad "stick" to the wheel, but let's realize that in practice, no such thing happens. I've had iron rotors and ceramic rotors (with the same brake pads) and the dust still clings to the rotors.

There are now spray on wax chemicals that help prevent brake _pad_ dust from attracting to the wheel.
Old 10-05-2010 | 02:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Sounds like a mistake with the owner's manual.

For brake dust, this idea that PCCB's have less dust is something that seems to originate with a Porsche marketing interview, but it's illogical to say the least! The "dust" is the pad material and unrelated to the rotor. Yes, the rotor is iron or ceramic and that could introduce electrical charge that might make the pad "stick" to the wheel, but let's realize that in practice, no such thing happens. I've had iron rotors and ceramic rotors (with the same brake pads) and the dust still clings to the rotors.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There are now spray on wax chemicals that help prevent brake _pad_ dust from attracting to the wheel.
Which product do you recommend?

Old 10-05-2010 | 02:45 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

seems much less dust on pccb versus my steels using oem pads. owners manual is wrong one. have the dealer get you the correct one. congratulations. looks great!
Old 10-05-2010 | 03:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

dust adds to the patina.
just wash it off with each car wash, then just let it accumulate until the next wash
Old 10-05-2010 | 05:45 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

With OEM pads I had nearly no brake dust on my 997.2 wheels.

Then I switched to Pagid RS29 .... different story ...
Old 10-05-2010 | 06:27 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Love the color combo!
Old 10-05-2010 | 07:31 AM
WAY
Instructor

What silver is that? It's beautiful! Never seen that silver before? Congrats btw!
Old 10-05-2010 | 07:33 AM
RAPID
Racer

Beautiful colour!
The brake dust gets less after the 1st few hundred miles. Except when you go on the track, especially the front wheels...
Old 10-05-2010 | 08:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Big brakes = lots of dust. You'll forget about it the first time you track the car and drop anchor at the end of a long straight. And if you think dust is an issue wait till you have to deal with cleaning rubber track slag off your wheels...

BTW, I find an occasional coating of Rejex makes the wheels easier to clean:

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html
Old 10-05-2010 | 08:59 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dust will be more when new since you have to bed the pads to the rotors.
But dust is a fact of life for iron brakes....

You can RejeX the wheels to make clean-up easier.
Old 10-05-2010 | 10:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Which product do you recommend?
I don't really have a recommendation, let alone an endorsement of any kind.
Here's the "original" idea:
http://www.wheelwax.com/
And here's a new product:
http://www.armorall.com/
Old 10-05-2010 | 10:35 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
dust adds to the patina.
just wash it off with each car, then just let it accumulate until the next car
fify

Quick Reply: 2011 GT3 is finally here......brake dust!!