HANS v Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Professor HANS
Greeetings from HANS Performance

I would be pleased to answer more questions either in this forum, by email or by telephone. Thank you for this opportunity.

Gary Milgrom
Vice President
HANS Performance Products
gmilgrom (at) hansdevice (dot) com
888-HANS-999 Toll Free
Gary- good stuff, thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post here.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Gary- good stuff, thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post here.
+1
Old 10-04-2010, 06:23 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO opinion using harnesses without a hans device is VERY BAD decision

No hans.. use 3 point
harness = hans

i took the airbag out of mine when i did the cup car steering wheel conversion, i also have 6 points belts anchored to the tub with eyelets
Old 10-13-2010, 06:23 PM
nct510
Advanced

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Just curious we know that if u crash from the front airbags will deploy. What happens if you crash from rear ie spin to wall or someone smacked you hard on the rear? Mike
Note Allan's response ref the rear impacts. I do know from experience that a hard side impact to a K wall deployed the side airbag (only) on the contact side and activated explosives in both 3 pt seat belts. Was wearing 6 pt, HANS, full face, half cage, in a 996 GT3 seat (in a '7 GT3).

Two injuries, one cracked rib and pride. Good humility training.

roll bar (not harness bar), HANS, 6 pt, & seat,,,don't leave home without them!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nct510
roll bar (not harness bar), HANS, 6 pt, & quality seat, not off-shore replica junk,,,don't leave home without them!!!
fixed it for you

a buddy went into the wall (backwards) with crummy replica seats. Saved him some cash at first, but the seat rail bent and pulled away and he smashed his head on the roll bar. He's lucky he only got a concussion. Could've been much worse.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Guys speaking of head & neck supports if you are not obligated to comply with SFI or FIA rules I would take a look at the Isaac head and neck restraint system.
From my limited knowledge of physics and by applying common sense this system looks better than the HANS.

http://www.isaacdirect.com/
Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What happens if you crash from rear ie spin to wall or someone smacked you hard on the rear? Mike
I shall refrain from *** smacking jokes

Very good discussion guys. I will not track without 6 point and HANS period. Airbags are useless on the track unless you use factory belts ... it's useless in a roll over
Old 10-13-2010, 06:55 PM
nct510
Advanced

Originally Posted by AllanJ
fixed it for you

a buddy went into the wall (backwards) with crummy replica seats. Saved him some cash at first, but the seat rail bent and pulled away and he smashed his head on the roll bar. He's lucky he only got a concussion. Could've been much worse.
roger
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, you guys convinced me. I've ordered a HANS! Quite a spendy little item... seeing as you need a roll bar (I'm going the half cage route) Scroth belts and HANS posts in your helmet. Oh yea, and sub mount bars on the seats. I know I'm forgetting something... er, uh... oh yea! Those uber-lux carbon GT2 seats!!! Gotta have holes in the seats to properly fit those belts.

I'll post some pics once I get into it in earnest. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i use std 3pt belts with airbags but trick the belts into staying tight by reclining the seat then pushing it up against the belt. would that have any effect on airbags or pyro charges? thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Guys speaking of head & neck supports if you are not obligated to comply with SFI or FIA rules I would take a look at the Isaac head and neck restraint system.
From my limited knowledge of physics and by applying common sense this system is better than the HANS.

http://www.isaacdirect.com/

John
Interesting!

If only I could find someone more handy than me to install the stuff on my helmet.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i use std 3pt belts with airbags but trick the belts into staying tight by reclining the seat then pushing it up against the belt. would that have any effect on airbags or pyro charges? thanks
I used to do that with electric seats on my E46 M3. Slide seat back, yank on the belt, slide seat forward. Worked well to keep me in the seat.

It should not effect the safety systems all that much. Airbags will definitely work as for the pyro I don't know for sure. The belt is already locked in tension but I guess you can always use more tension in a high g-load situation.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Interesting!

If only I could find someone more handy than me to install the stuff on my helmet.

It is interesting indeed clever and simple. It's one of the things that when you see them for the first time you think how didn't I think of this never before. It makes so much sense.

It's very easy to mount the hardware to the helmet.
Plus you have the option to use a special adhesive if you don't want to drill holes in their helmet.

John
Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

From the pics, it is hard to tell how the bases are mounted on the other side.. does it just go through the shoulder belt? Or it has to be attached somehow to the seat? Or?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
From the pics, it is hard to tell how the bases are mounted on the other side.. does it just go through the shoulder belt? Or it has to be attached somehow to the seat? Or?

Just goes through the shoulder belts

Looks a lot more comfortable too than HANS.

Quick Reply: HANS v Airbag