Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any downsides to using Water Wetter in a street/DE car in a warm weather environment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Any downsides to using Water Wetter in a street/DE car in a warm weather environment?

Just curious. The website says it contains lubricants and is safe for modern cooling systems.

From the website: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

* Unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the wetting ability of water
* Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates
* Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
* May allow more spark advance for increase power and efficiency
* Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters. Vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles. Small cooling systems should use 1oz (3 to 4 capfuls) per quart
* Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOLTM and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
* Satisfies ASTM D2570 and ASTM D1384 corrosion tests for glycol-based antifreezes

WaterWetter - 12oz - $9.95
Quantity
ABOUT RED LINE WATER WETTER® COOLANT ADDITIVES

* Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
* Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
* Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
* Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
* Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
* Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
* Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
* Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

ALSO AVAILABLE FROM OUR DEALERS

* 80204 - WaterWetter - 12oz
Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Water wetter is for cooling systems that do not use anti-freeze. I was told it will do nothing for systems that use anti-freeze. On the other hand Water Wetter claims it helps systems that use anti-freeze....so...I really don't know.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 AM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are taking your Mezger-engined water cooled Porsche variant at the track, IMO you should be using water wetter. It works just as well if not better than traditional antifreeze/coolant for the primary purpose of cooling, but does not cause the oil-like slick on the track surface that can take out your car & all those that follow. This is the reason that all race-car sanctioning bodies prohibit antifreeze to be used in the cooling systems of cars participating in W2W racing.

Only downside of which I am aware is that it will freeze when temps get below 32 degrees, so if you drive your ride in the winter in a cold climate, replace H20/water wetter with antifreeze in winter months. Since your question related to warm weather usage, I would say no downsides.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thats kind of what I was thinking.... Just get rid of using anti freeze altogether. Its a complete rarity in my area for it drop below freezing. And even when it does for that one day, the the car is garaged. It's not heated, but it generally does stay significantly warmer than the outside temps.

I was more concerned the coolant system rusting or the water pump parts and seals not getting lubed.

Is this a DIY type project, or more of pain in the *** than its worth?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely worth it. To me, this would be the ONLY way to go with a non-modified Mezger, and I live in Canada eh. I would just add anti-freeze in the fall for when garage dips below freezing and then flush and add W-Wetter in the Spring.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Water wetter is for cooling systems that do not use anti-freeze. I was told it will do nothing for systems that use anti-freeze. On the other hand Water Wetter claims it helps systems that use anti-freeze....so...I really don't know.
i run water wetter with water in all my track porsches (after my coolant spin, 3 yrs ago). never had problem, but i live in sunny ca though.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Even if it does drop below freezing (0 Celsius dammit! What does 0 in Fahrenheit correspond to?) it has to stay significantly below that temperature for a good amount of time to give any trouble. Overnight low of -2 or -3 C is not an issue.

I run Water Wetter in Canada after I popped a cooling hose. Nobody spun off but I did have a small slide on my own coolant on the next lap.
I think any heavily tracked car should use it.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is this water of which you speak?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

DD:

No issues for me but I'm only a poser. You will be fine, did you decide on weld or thread?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
DD:

No issues for me but I'm only a poser. You will be fine, did you decide on weld or thread?
I figured you ran hair gel or something being that you campaign a hairdresser's car

I think I'm going to let them glue it back together and call it a day. Both after market "solutions" seem to have their own problems.

I figured if I at least switched to WW and distilled water, it may mitigate some of the potential ugliness if I ended up in similar circumstances again.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
What is this water of which you speak?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/red...%C2%AE-review/
Old 10-01-2010, 10:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I figured if I at least switched to WW and distilled water, it may mitigate some of the potential ugliness if I ended up in similar circumstances again.
Finally on the blissful path of getting to the point that let's you pretend and imagine all is OK. Works for me. Let dealer fix, add water wetter and watch you cauges
Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Finally on the blissful path of getting to the point that let's you pretend and imagine all is OK. Works for me. Let dealer fix, add water wetter and watch you cauges
Ignorance is bliss

Why are you hating on tmate in your sig???
Old 10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I post a lot of my FLATOUT video's.

End result looks nice, but I don't want others to think I like a system that is a nightmare to operate and learn with crappy manuals, horrific support and counter intuitive software.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

So far all i've done is data analysis. And that seemed pretty reasonable. I have yet to try and merge video with the data though. Heard it's not fun.

Quick Reply: Any downsides to using Water Wetter in a street/DE car in a warm weather environment?