Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TPM...have to put in wheels for autox ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts
Default TPM...have to put in wheels for autox ?

I got a extra set of OEM wheels, putting Hoosier A6's on them.

I heard to takes a few miles for the TPM to set. Don't need the TPM for autox at all. Mistakenly I bought a set with my extra set of OEM wheels.

Any performance limitations by NOT having the TPMS in the wheels...can I still access any info from the cars dash like usual. Again any effects on PASM or anything else by not putting them in.

Thanks.

PS...also I don't balance autox wheels, and maybe the TPM inside the wheel would throw off the balance and make me balance them ?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Skip the TPM, you're right -- they'll never register because you won't drive far enough on those A6s for the computer to sort things out. There's no downside, you'll just get a "!" tire annunciator light on the dashboard and a warning message when you start up the car. No other issues, no PASM/PSM problems, or anything like that.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not balance the wheels?
Anyway, 997.2 tpms will register new wheels quick smart.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:00 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

For Autox the speeds are constantly changing. I have never noticed a balance changing anything. Generally on the street I think if a balance is off.....you can feel the oscillations around 50-60 mph something to do with the wheel rate of the suspension.

Hoosiers are much closer than regular street tires to not needing a balance anyway.

A lot of top autoxers don't balance.

Track stuff I am sure is quite different.....don't want no 130 mph oscillations of the wheel.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Is there such a thing as a "top autoxer"? : ) In any case, when I did cones, top speeds were around 100 mph. Even if I can't necessarily feel the balance, it's there. What's it cost to balance a $300 tire on a $1000 wheel? $5?

ps. These days, tire balance is already very good, especially compared to high sidewalls on 18's five or ten years ago. There's still "roundness" issues, which balance can help and goes directly to threshold braking performance.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

David,

Don't be so cheap. balance your tires. You bringing the 3 to GulfCoast Oct. 30/31.

Peter
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Geez...buy a fancy car and you won't balance the tires! I drove to my event on Sunday on my Hoosier's and wouldn't think of not balancing.

BTW-bringing my car down to West Palm for the winter. We'll have to catch up at an event but I will be on my streets.

Stu
Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

SCCA course design rules for solo autocross call for a maximum course speed in the "mid 50’s to low 60’s" (exact quote). Heck, if it was a Miata driver or a Lotus driver who chucked out the cones it's wouldn't be unusual to not break 50mph on the course. At speeds that low a wheel has to be ridiculously out of balance to impact performance or safety.

Quoth the rules:
Courses must be tight enough so that cars run the entire course in their lower gears. Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed the low 60’s (mph) for the fastest Stock and Street Prepared category cars. The fastest portions of the course shall be those most remote from spectators and property. Turns should not normally allow speeds in excess of 45 mph in unprepared cars.
On the other hand, driving to an autocross on A6s seems like a really bad idea to me. A6s aren't designed to run that kind of heat for that long. You'd cook them even at modest street speeds. Maybe on a cold morning on surface streets you could get away with it.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

50 or 60 mph? Yawn! The whole point of the autocross with PCA was to find a venue where we could have a long "straight" ... usually diagonally from one corner of a parking lot to the other ... complete with bumps and dust in the braking area ... : )
Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Most AX's are in that range but some are quite a bit faster but still fun and pretty challenging. I am sure Peter and David would back me up on that one as they both have done it at very competitive levels.

Originally Posted by Nugget
SCCA course design rules for solo autocross call for a maximum course speed in the "mid 50’s to low 60’s" (exact quote). Heck, if it was a Miata driver or a Lotus driver who chucked out the cones it's wouldn't be unusual to not break 50mph on the course. At speeds that low a wheel has to be ridiculously out of balance to impact performance or safety.

Quoth the rules:

On the other hand, driving to an autocross on A6s seems like a really bad idea to me. A6s aren't designed to run that kind of heat for that long. You'd cook them even at modest street speeds. Maybe on a cold morning on surface streets you could get away with it.
I am lucky enough to have two great venues only a couple of miles from my office so I change my wheels there and drive the short distance to the events. Not the best idea but no hitch on the car for my tire trailer or a larger one for the whole rig. Driving at moderate speeds with out heavy cornering for that distance does not hardly heat the tires at all.

Stu
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I got a extra set of OEM wheels, putting Hoosier A6's on them.

I heard to takes a few miles for the TPM to set. Don't need the TPM for autox at all. Mistakenly I bought a set with my extra set of OEM wheels.

Any performance limitations by NOT having the TPMS in the wheels...can I still access any info from the cars dash like usual. Again any effects on PASM or anything else by not putting them in.

Thanks.

PS...also I don't balance autox wheels, and maybe the TPM inside the wheel would throw off the balance and make me balance them ?
selling them?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Gulf Coast has speeds in the 70's at times and the last National Tour there we came within a smidge of hitting the rev limiter in 2nd in the 6GT3. Even had a moron protest the course as being to fast and violating SCCA rules.

Peter
Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
50 or 60 mph? Yawn! The whole point of the autocross with PCA was to find a venue where we could have a long "straight"
A long straight? Yawn! The whole point of performance cars is lateral G forces

Quick Reply: TPM...have to put in wheels for autox ?