Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Reno/Fernley Raceway This Weekend. Config B 4.1 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reno/Fernley Raceway This Weekend. Config B 4.1 Miles

Sat and Sunday is your chance to run one of the best tracks on the west coast. Config B, 4.1 miles of fun. Back end very technical, front straight very fast.

The track has had financial trouble and was closed for a period of time and is now only open on a limited basis. A year ago some sections of the track were in bad shape, but they were repaved and all is well.

You owe it to yourself to experience the challenge of this track. Host is HOD, here is the sign-up link: http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-events.

Southern California folks, it is a straight shot up US Hwy 395 which offers spectacular scenery. Bay Area folks this is an EASY straight shot east on Interstate 80.

If I can drive my track cars across the Sierras, you can too.

While the track itself is very good, the facilities, well the facilities are very very basic. Should have fuel there but no shade, no stores, and portapotties (they are clean).

Here is the forecast (sunny/warm): http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-119.251&e=0

Here is a video of this config I found online: http://www.viddler.com/explore/cnicholson/videos/1/

HOD is a well run host offering plenty of drive time and we should expect to leave exhausted on Sunday. A/B/C groups are open!

See you there!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You neglected to mention how good looking the HOD coaches are!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a pretty lethargic lap video! If that's a 2:27 pace, I'm guessing a GT3 is more like 2:00 flat?

I'm tempted to get up there. The video feels like an open road race (and I know it doesn't really depict the elevation changes and track detail.)

I wonder if Mooty is looking for more track time. Weekends aren't his forte. He's such a devoted father and family man ...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I wonder if Mooty is looking for more track time. Weekends aren't his forte. He's such a devoted father and family man ...
LMAO, vicious.

i love to go. but i am on tight leash.
i want to make GGR and PRC at infineon. so i need to laid low after 5 days of LS in September.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
You neglected to mention how good looking the HOD coaches are!
It's true!

That's a pretty lethargic lap video! If that's a 2:27 pace, I'm guessing a GT3 is more like 2:00 flat?

I'm tempted to get up there. The video feels like an open road race (and I know it doesn't really depict the elevation changes and track detail.)

The video does not do it justice. I think Mooty is too exhausted from LS? And 4.1 miles has a lot of turns, he may not want to deal with so many turns. Very complicated...

I know some S CA folks that are strict family men as well. Doubt they want to waste a weekend going fast and having fun.

Oh, doesn't Mikymu live close by this track? I think maybe 1 1/2 hours up the road? He may not like all the curves either.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by savyboy
It's true!
hum.....
32-34B/C, 105-110 lbs, 5'2-5'4? if so, i am there.

.. I think Mooty is too exhausted from LS? And 4.1 miles has a lot of turns, he may not want to deal with so many turns. Very complicated...
r u kidding me? there are turns? i dont have GPS in the race car, i will never remember where to turn....
Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Pete,

Wow, that sounds like a great time! I need more notice next time.....heck I could fly out to be your instructor for the weekend!!!! I'm not too expensive!!! .....although not so shapely as Mooty's wish.

Have fun!
Doug N.
PCA Instructor
Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Mooty will have sold all of his cars by then and have nothing to drive ... problem solved!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We'll be there for both days this weekend. (only with BMWs)

Reno-Fernley is a super fun track. We did the Lemons race there last year. It takes a number of laps to become familiar with as there are SO many turns. Felt like I was driving around lost for the first 20 mins.

I'll make sure we meet at this event Pete. I may even pester you for a ride in the RS. I'm curious what those beasts drive like. I've never even set foot in one!

I've seen you Pete at several track events in the past, including Laguna this past weekend, but didn't realize it was you 'till after when I'd read something here in the forum about it. I did bump into Mooty at Laguna and said "hi".

I'll be on crew duty with the #13 + #14 BMW race cars. Stop by anytime if you need to cool off with some AC action. (I mean that) That invite is open to all RL'ers!

Phil
Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ah, yes, phil. i know we had lunch together but didn't know you are "rollingart".
now i know.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt

I'll be on crew duty with the #13 + #14 BMW race cars. Stop by anytime if you need to cool off with some AC action. (I mean that) That invite is open to all RL'ers!

Phil
Is it a secure facility to leave a trailer and a car there overnight on Saturday?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Mooty will have sold all of his cars by then and have nothing to drive ... problem solved!
Larry, you'll be joining us?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, doesn't Mikymu live close by this track? I think maybe 1 1/2 hours up the road? He may not like all the curves either.

I been looking ... it's 160 miles from my place and 2.5 hours of drive. My spleen is weak just looking at the map. HOD is still pricey even for Reno-Ferney that's what kept me away from their events. I will pass this time ... maybe give it a try if NCRC or trackmaster host an event there in the future

Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJN
Hi Pete,

Wow, that sounds like a great time! I need more notice next time.....heck I could fly out to be your instructor for the weekend!!!! I'm not too expensive!!! .....although not so shapely as Mooty's wish.

Have fun!
Doug N.
PCA Instructor
Lol, hey Doug!Come on, make the quick trip up here, and enjoy some track time for your self.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Reno-Fernley is a super fun track. We did the Lemons race there last year. It takes a number of laps to become familiar with as there are SO many turns. Felt like I was driving around lost for the first 20 mins.

I'll make sure we meet at this event Pete. I may even pester you for a ride in the RS. I'm curious what those beasts drive like. I've never even set foot in one!

I've seen you Pete at several track events in the past, including Laguna this past weekend, but didn't realize it was you 'till after when I'd read something here in the forum about it. I did bump into Mooty at Laguna and said "hi".

Phil
AC action, Reno/Fernley? Yeah, we will be hanging out...lol!

Yes, too bad Phil that we did not meet in LS. For sure at RF. Of course I will take you for a ride! You can help me perfect my line.

Larry, you'll be joining us?
Yes, you will be joining won't you Larry? Have to meet! Such a short drive from N CA

You, Mikyumu and Mooty can caravan? Simple and easy?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikymu
I been looking ... it's 160 miles from my place and 2.5 hours of drive. My spleen is weak just looking at the map. HOD is still pricey even for Reno-Ferney that's what kept me away from their events. I will pass this time ... maybe give it a try if NCRC or trackmaster host an event there in the future
I am applying the pressure to Mikymu via email

Quick Reply: Reno/Fernley Raceway This Weekend. Config B 4.1 Miles