Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott-

Can you post a link for that notice or was it an email? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
lp997
Advanced

Any idea about how they will tech for this? The fittings are not visible from the engine hatch. Also on Water Wetter, this is a dealer by dealer allowance. My dealer in Florida said if I run Water Wetter, I void my warranty.

Originally Posted by scott40
Our local PCA region issued this today:

OVR COOLANT LINE SAFETY NOTICE UPDATE

It appears that Porsche has quietly addressed the issue of the coolant lines coming unglued from their housings in GT1 type engines. The housings have been re-engineered to increase the bonding surface area of the tubes and a new, high-strength/heat-resistant bonding material is used. We are hoping that they can tell us when they started using these new parts but unfortunately at this point that information is not available. It does appear that 2010 and later GT3 RS’s have them so one would assume that this would include the Turbo’s as well. *

Based on this, we will exempt these cars from the requirement that they MUST either run water with Water Wetter in their coolant systems or mechanically secure these pipes. However, unless your dealer advises against it, we strongly encourage the use of distilled water and Water Wetter. In fact, Porsche of the Village is offering a program where they will drain and capture your coolant and store it for you for future use. Then flush the system to remove the remaining glycol coolant then refill it with distilled water and Water Wetter for approximately $200.

We also want to caution owners of earlier cars that the fitting located behind the power steering pump, which has been the main problem, is not the only one that can fail. There are ones behind the alternator that have failed as well. Therefore, if you are addressing this problem by welding or pinning these fittings, you must do all of them. Even after this has been done you are still encouraged to change over to the distilled water with Water Wetter for track use since hose failures can also occur.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions,
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Was there any word on what the new parts looked like? Did your shop receive them from Germany?
They got the parts. Chief instructor from my region met with them and got the explanation. Since receiving the updated memo exempting GT1 based cars from 2010 forward, I haven't investigated further. For our region, you have to provide documentation that you have either had your fittings welded or tapped or documentation that you have switched to water and water wetter if running a GT1 based car from 09 and older. That is my understanding.

I posted the updated memo in my previous post...
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Here's an update from my region...

OVR COOLANT LINE SAFETY NOTICE UPDATE

It appears that Porsche has quietly addressed the issue of the coolant lines coming unglued from their housings in GT1 type engines. The housings have been re-engineered to increase the bonding surface area of the tubes and a new, high-strength/heat-resistant bonding material is used. We were hoping that they could tell us when they started using these new parts but unfortunately at this point that information is not available. It does appear that 2010 and later GT3 RS’s have them so WE WILL EXEMPT THESE CARS from the requirement that they MUST either run water with Water Wetter in their coolant systems or mechanically secure these pipes. We have also learned that the engines in the 3.8 turbos are no longer GT1 based, therefore WE ARE ALSO EXEMPTING THEM. However, unless your dealer advises against it, we encourage the use of distilled water and Water Wetter. In fact, Porsche of the Village is offering a program where they will drain and capture your coolant and store it for you for future use. They also flush the system to remove the remaining glycol coolant, then refill it with distilled water and Water Wetter, for approximately $200.

We want to caution owners of earlier cars that the fitting located behind the power steering pump, which has been the main problem, is NOT the only one that can fail. On a 996 GT1 there are a total of eight of these fittings. There are ones out of the water pump that have also been reported to fail. Therefore, if you are addressing this problem by welding or pinning these fittings and run with the standard glycol-based coolant, you must do all of them. Even after this has been done you are still encouraged to change over to the distilled water with Water Wetter for track use, since hose failures can also occur.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Coupling Failure

Mine went yesterday at Lime Rock. Luckily it did not completely pop out but it sprayed enough to send me flying on the uphill and three at then end of the front straight. Didn't know it was spraying until I got to the uphill. Not a nice place to be practicing my tank-slapper routine. No cars were wrecked.

Year: 2007
Model: GT3
Mileage: 21,000
Circumstances surrounding failure: Lime Rock
Specific Coupling: Left side behind the alternator
Repair Solution: Not sure yet.

Last edited by TAI2; 04-13-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

I was doing my first lap of my first DE ever at a trolling pace and when I crested the hill heading down towards Oak Tree on the VIR full course. I saw a puff of smoke/vapor and immediately got off of the track.
Sure enough coolant fitting.

Year:2002
Model:996TT
Mileage:54000
Circumstances surrounding failure: Not much - 4k rpm
Specific Coupling: one in the middle area
Repair Solution: Goldcrest full welding of all the fittings and all hoses and coolant items replaced.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Car : 2004 GT3

First incident: 2010, at Mosport. Early in season. One of the pressed-in fittings came out. This was the only one which is aft of the rear wheels. Spilled coolant on track, but no spin. Lots of smoke, from coolant spraying on engine..Fix, replaced popped-out one and tapped and screwed in all of them..EU Autowerks in Woodbridge Ontario

Replaced coolant with water wetter. Good thing that was done. Later in season, at Watkins Glen, the short coolant hose at right rear split along the bottom. Replaced both RR and LR hoses..

Last edited by guykoken; 04-23-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Well not a big deal for me. But as mentioned before had a coolant press fitting popped off rt side of engine where ac compressor use to be. Was repaired at the track with a pin but waterpump failed too. Neway had my mechanic drop motor to address the other press fittings and he pinned them. 2 weekends ago after 10 hc's the same press fitting started leaking again but press fitting was still glued in but pin popped off. Happened after a session and when parked started leaking. Open rear decklid it was gushing out where the pin was placed. Took it back to on track mechanic shop- he repaired it at
no charge with a bigger diameter pin like my mechanic did. Was nice of them
to do it at no charge since he guaranteed 1st time it ain't popping. Cudos to mce at thunderhill. Mike
Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Another 996 GT3 popped the fitting on the right side of the engine bay by the power steering this weekend at mid Ohio. No casualties. Makes me glad mine are welded now
Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My second one just went. I was leading the fun drive with the Kansas City Porsche Club. First indication was a slipping seprentine belt followed by massive coolant loss.

It is the one on the water pump this time, just under the alternator.

I sense it just a matter of time before they all go. It makes it very hard to love this car!
Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 PM
jandrade
4th Gear

Mine failed August 2011
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Another 996 GT3 popped the fitting on the right side of the engine bay by the power steering this weekend at mid Ohio. No casualties. Makes me glad mine are welded now
Was that the 3.8RS that went into the tire wall at the keyhole? I was not far behind him.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

No, it was a 996 GT3. I was standing at the keyhole taking photos when grey GT3 hit the tire wall. It looked like the back started coming around to the right before he could transition into the keyhole. S
The car shot across the grass and rotated the right side into the tires. He scrubbed off a lot of speed in the gravel. The damage wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
My second one just went. I was leading the fun drive with the Kansas City Porsche Club. First indication was a slipping seprentine belt followed by massive coolant loss.

It is the one on the water pump this time, just under the alternator.

I sense it just a matter of time before they all go. It makes it very hard to love this car!
Nah – it’s a good excuse to upgrade to a LWFW and do a Guard LSD at the same time. I took the opportunity of having the engine out to do the above, as well as replace the water pump, every coolant hose, update the RMS to the latest revision, and all o-rings and gaskets that get opened as part of the welding and maintenance process at the same time. These cars are pushing a decade in age now. There is peace of mind in knowing that all these aging components have been refreshed in one fell swoop.

I noted this is your second fitting failure. I’m curious about what you did when your first fitting popped out. If you drop the motor to fix one, better to do all the rest and be done with it.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default It's not If, it's When

Woo-hoo, I finally made the list

Today, Tremblant, end of first session of the day. Never knew it happened until I got the debris flag pointed at me at T7. Failure occurred at T14, Namerow. Was running with water/water wetter, so not much drama, and quick "clean up".

Year: 2005
Model: GT3
Mileage: 33,000 km (18,000 ish miles)
Circumstances surrounding failure: See above
Specific Coupling: Right hand, curved. The one that seems the most common
Repair Solution: Going to dealer, car is still under CPO. They'll likely install a new manifold, and I'll have to keep running with water wetter until I get a chance to do a final fix.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry