Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope they build as many variants of the 997 as can, as the pictures I'm seeing of the next generation 911 are scaring me with flashbacks of the 993 to 996 days...
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I hope they build as many variants of the 997 as can, as the pictures I'm seeing of the next generation 911 are scaring me with flashbacks of the 993 to 996 days...

I think that car has been explained, but it still shows all kinds of clues and deliberately misleading aspects: the fake turbo/GT2 inlets, the roof spoiler over the rear window, blacked out rear side windows, squared off flanks and generic tail lights (suggesting a tail-light and rear-end rework that meant leaving stock parts visible would divulge the changes in panel lines and shapes.) There's so many questions about that car, but we can be pretty sure the outboard tail pipe exits and the five-slug hubs mean it's not a general purpose GT test mule, surely GT3 or RS, but maybe an early 991 roller. I think Porsche proved their ability to keep a secret when they delivered the 918. Whatever we "hear" from people "in the know" is, without a shadow of a doubt, information that Porsche has carefully crafted for public consumption. If they also use that information to make valued customers feel valued, then I think they're showing good form.

As for this nonsense of the 991 being a V8-only? Garbage. VW may as well just take Porsche down to the glue factory and pay the vet to have it "humanely destroyed." And there's no company on the planet going to V8's for "emissions" ... even Ferrari is going to forced induction. Porsche is already at forced induction. But the idea of a turbocharged or supercharged engine in a Carrera? That's going to be a tough one to sell.

Porsche has spent 60 years seemingly painting itself into a corner (according to the pundits and industry "analysts") only to deliver cars like the 997 RS and the Carrera with PDK. While the Panamera tells us there are Porsche buyers wanting a nice, big luxury tourer with a V8 pushing the front wheels onto the ground -- and that will eventually make for an impressive 2+2 GT -- there can be no thought in the executive offices of VW pursuing the idea that Porsche is anything without a flat six power plant precariously positioned in the posterior of the Porsche.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Understood that the test mules are heavily camouflaged, but the rumors of the cars growth in size are of concern as well as whatever styling they decide to come out with. I hope for the best but appreciate the selection of 997 models that are coming out now and will even more so if things don’t work out for the best with the new model. Especially looking back and seeing that we didn’t get a 993 Speedster or wide body cabs or any RS/GT2 models here in the US and how cool would that have been before the dark days of the 996?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 AM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Anymore news out there on this? Just put my deposit down just in case. Again just rumors but more and more people seem to be getting the nod by dealerships. 4.0, Around 500hp, Last 6 cylinder, Carryover lightweight parts from the gt2 rs, revised suspension....and please rsr type or hybrid type bodywork.

11 RS LE dep. down
11 RS
07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S

Quick Reply: GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!