Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

987 3.6L or 997.1 GT3? That Is The Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 987 3.6L or 997.1 GT3? That Is The Question.

Winter months approaching, projects are being planned, and my itching already started.

I drive my 987 daily, and track it when ever I get the chance. I kept the car stock for the past 4.5 years as it served me well and have't had need to modify it. It now has about 73K mi on it and 15K of it is track miles. It has been the most reliable and fun-to-drive car ever had, I still enjoy it tremendously each day.

However, I am reaching a point where engine reliability is going to become an issue I believe and I need to do something about the oiling issues. I also think I am approaching the point in the next 30K mi, at which time the engine might need some tuning and/or rebuild if I am to continue tracking, especially if the racing bug also gets me some where in the middle.

So, I can be proactive while the existing engine is still in good shape, have it rebuilt, while increasing the displacement to 3.6L and take care of the oiling issues at the same time and hope that I can drive the car for another 100K mi. While I am at it, I can overhaul the chassis, suspension, seats, etc, and almost have a new car to explore for the next few years.

On the other hand, I can sell the car and finance a lightly used 997.1 GT3 that I can keep stock and just enjoy driving it daily and on track just like I have with the 987. Great time to finance with interst rates being what they are, but that darn persistent IMS issues also bother me just a little.

This qurstion has been bugging me for the last two weeks, so I thought I should seek some of your endless wisdom to tell me how silly I am at some level no mstter what the choice is. I appreciate any opinion please, so please fire a way.

Thank you,
Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not imagine having any 2 seat Porsche that is anything other than a GT3 or some kind. Maybe buy the GT3 for street and DE. Make the Cayman into a track car.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^I would do the reverse : ). Gt3's are engraved for the track. Mike
Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Boxster S that I used to track a lot -- a great fun car to track, by the way. Very forgiving handling, makes me feel like a hero and feel like I drive better than I actually can. If I go into a corner too hot, freak out and lift the throttle, the car would correct and settle itself to save my back.

Now I have a 997.2 GT3. I humbly respect this beast -- if the Boxster is a fast pony express, the GT3 is a wild stud horse. It magnifies every flaw I have in driving (makes me realize I am no close to as good as I thought I was.) If I 'dare' to turn-off the PSM (which is not even available in the 997.1 GT3) and make silly mistake at corners I will get punished by physics, accordingly.

If you have been tracking your Boxster a lot, and now you hope to explore your skills to another level -- I would say a GT3 will definitely be a great tool for the job.

Regards,
Old 09-17-2010, 01:01 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you are a PCA instructor, so you've driven a GT3, yes?
I just don't think adding .2 litres will get you anywhere near the rush a GT3 gives you (or at least gives me!).
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

CPO GT3. no question. perfectly fine for daily driver as well and you have a warranty to cover the RMS which is minor anyways. The car just marks its territory.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Winter months approaching, projects are being planned, and my itching already started.

I drive my 987 daily, and track it when ever I get the chance. I kept the car stock for the past 4.5 years as it served me well and have't had need to modify it. It now has about 73K mi on it and 15K of it is track miles. It has been the most reliable and fun-to-drive car ever had, I still enjoy it tremendously each day.

However, I am reaching a point where engine reliability is going to become an issue I believe and I need to do something about the oiling issues. I also think I am approaching the point in the next 30K mi, at which time the engine might need some tuning and/or rebuild if I am to continue tracking, especially if the racing bug also gets me some where in the middle.

So, I can be proactive while the existing engine is still in good shape, have it rebuilt, while increasing the displacement to 3.6L and take care of the oiling issues at the same time and hope that I can drive the car for another 100K mi. While I am at it, I can overhaul the chassis, suspension, seats, etc, and almost have a new car to explore for the next few years.

On the other hand, I can sell the car and finance a lightly used 997.1 GT3 that I can keep stock and just enjoy driving it daily and on track just like I have with the 987. Great time to finance with interst rates being what they are, but that darn persistent IMS issues also bother me just a little.

This qurstion has been bugging me for the last two weeks, so I thought I should seek some of your endless wisdom to tell me how silly I am at some level no mstter what the choice is. I appreciate any opinion please, so please fire a way.

Thank you,
keep the cayman as your DD if you plan to drive it for another 100k, and get a 997.1 GT3 ... what is the market value of the Cayman w/73k miles on it?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Thank you all for the responses, really helpful.

I had multiple cars in the past for varying purposes from DD to autox and track, it became a huge hassle and expense to manage each one of them. I sold two of the cars and got the Cayman, first Porsche for me, and I have to say that I have never had such a wonderful dual purpose car; I want to stick to that theory a little while longer, and that is why I am delaying club racing as DEs and instructing is plenty satisfactory given the time I am able to spare for the hobby. Getting another Porsche for DD does not make sense to me, especially since my commute is about 70-80 miles a day at this time.

I have never driven a GT3, I only imagine what it might be. The 3.6 ltr increase is not for power purposes, I am very used to having power deficit, but the rebuild process' primary purpose would be to increase reliability, if I get some additional power out of it, it is just icing. I am specifically talking about the way that LN engineering rebuidls the engines with nikies and JE pistons and displacement increase is almost a natural extension of the process.

I do not believe my car would be worth more than $23-24K at this time. But that would still make a nice down payment for a GT3, I might even wait one or two more years for a nice 997.2 version of it; the problem, I do not know how much of a ticking bomb I have in my hands. Thus far it has been very reliable, but I do drive it more conservatively that I would like; such as short shifting half of the laps in a session, using a higher gear in certain corners, etc. I frankly believe, I have reached the limit of the car with its stock configuration. For me to improve my lap times, speed and learn new ways, I just need to push to the next level, but I cannot do that without knowing that the 'car' can actually handle it mechanically. I am hesitant to increase its cornering abilities, which won't be that difficult, before I address my engine concerns.

With a GT3, it does not seem like I would have any engine concerns , besides the IMS thingy of the gen I.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Thank you all for the responses, really helpful.

I had multiple cars in the past for varying purposes from DD to autox and track, it became a huge hassle and expense to manage each one of them. I sold two of the cars and got the Cayman, first Porsche for me, and I have to say that I have never had such a wonderful dual purpose car; I want to stick to that theory a little while longer, and that is why I am delaying club racing as DEs and instructing is plenty satisfactory given the time I am able to spare for the hobby. Getting another Porsche for DD does not make sense to me, especially since my commute is about 70-80 miles a day at this time.

I have never driven a GT3, I only imagine what it might be. The 3.6 ltr increase is not for power purposes, I am very used to having power deficit, but the rebuild process' primary purpose would be to increase reliability, if I get some additional power out of it, it is just icing. I am specifically talking about the way that LN engineering rebuidls the engines with nikies and JE pistons and displacement increase is almost a natural extension of the process.

I do not believe my car would be worth more than $23-24K at this time. But that would still make a nice down payment for a GT3, I might even wait one or two more years for a nice 997.2 version of it; the problem, I do not know how much of a ticking bomb I have in my hands. Thus far it has been very reliable, but I do drive it more conservatively that I would like; such as short shifting half of the laps in a session, using a higher gear in certain corners, etc. I frankly believe, I have reached the limit of the car with its stock configuration. For me to improve my lap times, speed and learn new ways, I just need to push to the next level, but I cannot do that without knowing that the 'car' can actually handle it mechanically. I am hesitant to increase its cornering abilities, which won't be that difficult, before I address my engine concerns.

With a GT3, it does not seem like I would have any engine concerns , besides the IMS thingy of the gen I.
in that case sell the cayman and get a 997.1 GT3 or RS ... you will have to wait 3+ years for the .2's to be in the price territory of the .1's today ...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM
otisdog
Pro

[QUOTE=FlyingToaster;7903712]

I have never driven a GT3, I only imagine what it might be. /QUOTE]

Well, there you go....drive one, and your question will be answered.
Plus, you'll get all the trick engine parts stock.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 PM
prg
Pro

I don't know how good the roads are in Maryland, but a 80 mile commute in a GT3 may get a little old. The GT3 suspension that's a little too soft on track, may feel like your driving a wooden wheel covered wagon by the time you cover 40 miles of boring, rough road on the evening commute.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:54 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

With your skill level, as an instructor, you are better off with a 997.1 GT3. By the time you spend the money on the 3.6 for the Cayman, and any other modifications, the extra money to buy a used GT3 may be much smaller than you think.

997.1 GT3's are going for low to mid 70's.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
With your skill level, as an instructor, you are better off with a 997.1 GT3. By the time you spend the money on the 3.6 for the Cayman, and any other modifications, the extra money to buy a used GT3 may be much smaller than you think.

997.1 GT3's are going for low to mid 70's.
+1.
Also, remember that ANY money spent in rebuilding the 987's engine, or any other other engine, is just money you'll never see back...
Old 09-17-2010, 04:47 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
in that case sell the cayman and get a 997.1 GT3 or RS ... you will have to wait 3+ years for the .2's to be in the price territory of the .1's today ...
Yes, you are right, it might take more than 2 yrs for the prices to become reasonable, comparatively speaking.

Originally Posted by otisdog
Well, there you go....drive one, and your question will be answered.
Plus, you'll get all the trick engine parts stock.
Ain't that the truth

Originally Posted by prg
I don't know how good the roads are in Maryland, but a 80 mile commute in a GT3 may get a little old. The GT3 suspension that's a little too soft on track, may feel like your driving a wooden wheel covered wagon by the time you cover 40 miles of boring, rough road on the evening commute.
Cayman is the softest setup car I had thus far and MD, VA roads that I travel are in pretty good shape. No issues with stiffness I think.

Originally Posted by GT3
+1.
Also, remember that ANY money spent in rebuilding the 987's engine, or any other other engine, is just money you'll never see back...
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about this. Actually, if I get the engine rebuilt, I unconsciously made the assumption that I'd keep the car for another 5 years at least, then pass it on to my son or something.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM
droy3
Instructor

Another option might be to add a TPC turbo. They aren't far away from you. A co-worker of mine did and he loves it...However, once again, you would lose this investment on re-sale. Also, a GT3 would be pretty amazing.

Quick Reply: 987 3.6L or 997.1 GT3? That Is The Question.