Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS Order Guide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I happen to know for a fact that not all allocations have been filled. Porsche didnt exactly give us a lot of time to get customers locked in.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonfib3r
If this really is the case, Porsche should play their game more carefully. US being Porsche's biggest market, I'd imagine you guys would have been treated like the royals. I guess eventually you'll get what you request. Good luck.

At least you've got something we don't have, really looking forward to seeing the Monterey invite box ....
Thanks for posting that brochure. I'll see if the local yokels can get their hands on a copy. Can you post the part number (usually printed inside and on the outer cover) please?

As for markets, given the changing face of global economies, I doubt the USA market continues to dominate planning at Porsche. And the runs are on the board -- the USA market gets products last and least. The USA buyer gets the fewest options and the least innovative or creative versions of those products simply because Porsche does not choose to incur the costs and burdens imposed on any car seller (or their size) by the US Department(s) of Blundering Around and Crushing Free Enterprise.

We're last to get a diesel and first to get non-creative garbage like the Cayenne Hybrid -- brilliant technology for 2003 delivered fresh to the market in 2011. We're last to get the option of avoiding a sunroof in a "lightweight" GT3. We're first to get a two ton family hatchback. Surely somewhere in Porsche they must be having a helluva laugh at the US car buyer.

I imagine Porsche is doing whatever they can to access China and Russia, while reshaping themselves to access the distributed nature of affluent consumers. Regions like the Middle East surely represent better business prospects and growth opportunity.

Meanwhile, the US buyer gets the Panamera.

"You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile. How did I get here?"
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Photo of 918 Invite

Last edited by zellamsee; 03-07-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I believe Porsche of Monterey have a 2RS that does not have a name associated with it ...

petersavale@msn.com
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I believe Porsche of Monterey have a 2RS that does not have a name associated with it ...

petersavale@msn.com
I was told yesterday that all Bay Area dealers had found "customers" to put names to the allocations ... and that no US dealer had let their allocation go unaccounted for, meaning there's no prospect of the rumoured "second round" of redistribution of unallocated cars or cars without named customers. All very messy if you ask me, but apparently in accordance with various state and federal laws, franchise contracts, sales performance or whatever mumbo jumbo. With no order guide and a "one size fits all" offering of a quarter million dollar 911, I'm not sure I follow the logic.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Did some dealers go ahead and order cars for themselves (perhaps using a fictitious name), with the hope that they can sell the car to a "real" customer later? Just a guess.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Did some dealers go ahead and order cars for themselves (perhaps using a fictitious name), with the hope that they can sell the car to a "real" customer later? Just a guess.
FIRST: A dealer must have an allocation/s based on prior sales.

SECOND: YES, fictitious names have been used to insure allocations
Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Well, PCNA might behave like they're clueless and do so frequently enough to have me convinced, but I have no doubt they're full well expecting some "shenanigans" from dealers not wanting to give up a GT2 RS allocation just because of the trivial matter of not being able to find a customer ... and if I were them, it's the dealers with more than one allocated car and the dealers in "fringe" market geographies where I would turn my attention to delve into the details and ferret out the pretenders. From what little I've learned first hand, according to a dealer in Hollywoodland, the dealer will arrange for a conversation between the actual customer and some third party within Porsche to both "vet" the customer (spit test? **** test? GATTACA?) and perhaps it's reasonable to expect that conversation would also discretely confirm both their bona fides and any "understanding" that customer might have with the selling dealer. I imagine they'll speak softly and carry the "big stick" of indicating the pertinence of state and federal laws against this kind of racket. Of course, they'd be pushing a stone uphill to convince a court that any car buyer can be held accountable for reneging on a purchase (and at least in California, any deposit or money prior to the purchase is fully refundable) especially of such an outlandishly expensive car model (threefold the price of the base model) but if there were some evidence of say a remarkably affordably priced Porsche sold to that party or perhaps an exceptional generous valuation on a trade-in about the time of the GT2 RS, I'd imagine Porsche would not spare any expense in defending their business. Some would argue there's just not enough profit in a GT2 RS, but I see no reason or evidence to suggest that there's not a very healthy profit in selling one legitimately and there could be a considerable margin on selling one to a customer at some point in the future. If and when Porsche wants a conversation with a GT2 RS customer, I'd encourage that customer to record the conversation (and be sure to advise all parties that the recording is being taken ... FCC law.) If only for amusement, it will be an interesting conversation.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard only 500 were being made, better get your orders in quickly....
Old 09-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I checked, the monterey car is *sold* sorry for the confusion...
Old 09-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I checked, the monterey car is *sold* sorry for the confusion...
Perhaps it's just "sold."
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Perhaps it's just "sold."
perhaps!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
FIRST: A dealer must have an allocation/s based on prior sales.

SECOND: YES, fictitious names have been used to insure allocations
Went in yesterday ~ the spec didn't come out cheap.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is the dealer seeking to fill their allocation was required to fax PCNA a signed buyers order with all $ filled out. Not that it could not be forged or fudged.

Regarding Porche Monterey- based on personal experience of a few weeks ago I would let them work on my car any time, their Service Manager John Fritz and Master Tech Paulino Saavedra were superb in helping me when I was in a jam.

However...

Their two sales guys (sales and internet managers) on duty (Sunday) couldn't be bothered to lift a finger to help me and my wife arrange a way back to Reno from Monterey other than to offer to sell me the GT3RS they had on their floor Oh, they suggested I call the Porsche Roadside Assistance which did work to get my car to the dealer. Other than that they were utterly worthless. I hope I meet one of them stranded on the road in my town some day... I felt like we were treated with total disrespect. I would not buy a car from Porsche Monterey if they were the last dealership on earth.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
My understanding is the dealer seeking to fill their allocation was required to fax PCNA a signed buyers order with all $ filled out. Not that it could not be forged or fudged.

Regarding Porche Monterey- based on personal experience of a few weeks ago I would let them work on my car any time, their Service Manager John Fritz and Master Tech Paulino Saavedra were superb in helping me when I was in a jam.

However...

Their two sales guys (sales and internet managers) on duty (Sunday) couldn't be bothered to lift a finger to help me and my wife arrange a way back to Reno from Monterey other than to offer to sell me the GT3RS they had on their floor Oh, they suggested I call the Porsche Roadside Assistance which did work to get my car to the dealer. Other than that they were utterly worthless. I hope I meet one of them stranded on the road in my town some day... I felt like we were treated with total disrespect. I would not buy a car from Porsche Monterey if they were the last dealership on earth.
it always bothers me when i see dealers like that.
sales = service. serve me.
all sales ppl need to watch "pretty woman" the movie. the scene at BH is classic. you can't do that, you shouldn't be in sales.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Order Guide?