Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I am still scratching my head at this GT3 RS.2 Accident.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
These threads are usually good only to satisfy the viewers’ curiosity and hunger for photos of expensive crashed cars. That I can somehow understand although I don't care.

But what I don’t get and find pointless, is people jumping into conclusions and handing out verdicts about the accident itself and about the drivers abilities or intelligence since we rarely have the facts.

BTW the white with gold works.

John
Hey John,

Its not about taking the **** out of the owner... its a sad situation... but when a story is summarised in the media as it was above it makes the mind boggle and it makes one think that the guy was being a superhero!

Now that we have a better understanding that the situation arose before the service station, it makes sense as to why he ended up where he did... In any case. whilst he wasn't driving wrecklessly, he was not driving within the limits of his car in those conditions... If anything this thread serves as a warning to some of us less experienced with these cars of the dangers associated.

I was unfortunate enough to get caught in a unexpected downpoor with lots of standing water 3 weeks after I had picked up my GT3- no prior experience with rear engined cars or 911s for that matter. The cups were at full tread depth and I was struggling to keep the car straight at 80km/h in a 100 zone.. Having taken on board the 4-5 warnings from the dealer and the concerns of many on here about the cups in water, I backed off before it got nasty and before hitting the pools of water... With all due respect it would be ignorant to continue even at the speed limit if there is a chance of puddles on the road with semi slicks in one of these cars... It would be fair to say that this poor owner was just going too fast for the prevailing conditions or wasn't sufficiently warned of inherent dangers... JMO
Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
That is correct... They are rated as Semi-slicks with the radial grooves in them... but the dig difference between them and full slicks is the DOT rating. i.e side walls and the compound ...
Thanks for the clarification. As far as semi slicks go then, I am sold. The R6's are absolutely stunning!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I was unfortunate enough to get caught in a unexpected downpoor with lots of standing water 3 weeks after I had picked up my GT3- no prior experience with rear engined cars or 911s for that matter. The cups were at full tread depth and I was struggling to keep the car straight at 80km/h in a 100 zone.. Having taken on board the 4-5 warnings from the dealer and the concerns of many on here about the cups in water, I backed off before it got nasty and before hitting the pools of water... With all due respect it would be ignorant to continue even at the speed limit if there is a chance of puddles on the road with semi slicks in one of these cars... It would be fair to say that this poor owner was just going too fast for the prevailing conditions or wasn't sufficiently warned of inherent dangers... JMO
Same thing here. Coming back from a trackday, 700 km of driving and the last 60 were absolute hell in a downpour with an enormeous amount of standing water. Had to drive 60-65 km/h MAX not to aquaplane with the cups (thats 40 mph'is for you non-metric guys ). Even trucks passed me on the second lane. Also saw 2 cars crashed due to standing water.

This week I had to take the car for maintenance. So you do not really have a choice either but to drive it, no matter what the weather be. Again huge amounts of rain, but less than the other day. I just stuck to the right lane and followed the trucks at 90 km/h. Can imagine the guy in his VW Polo passing you at 120 thinking "what an idiot in his Porsche".

And indeed, having a dedicated set of track wheels is a great idea, but how am I supposed to bring them along? There is no room for that in a GT3. And one of the things I like about this car is the fact that you can just drive it out of the garage, go to the racetrack, do your laps and drive home again without a lot of preparation or packing up to do. I used to ride motorcycles on track for about 6 years and there was always a lot of packing and hauling to do, which after a couple of years you get fed up with too.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyo 888s are much better in the wet than MPSCs although again standing water is still an issue.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P Zero Corsa System also trump the MPSC's in the wet

Still i Managed to get a C4S on MPSCs through a classic Texas deluge, albeit at 30mph....

Better safe...you can finish the cliche...
Old 09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
Toyo 888s are much better in the wet than MPSCs although again standing water is still an issue.
Indeed, but also only if they are new.

I m going back to Corsas on my GT3. Had Corsas first, then cups, will get Corsas again. The extra grip in the dry is not worth all the hassle in the wet for me (and I don't live in sunny California).
Old 09-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist

I did a 720 on the track on a straight (a slight elevation change but essentially no curve). PS2 (note: not PSCs) tires and very heavy rain. Very gentle acceleration and hitting a stream during heavy rain sent me spinning. I know better now but it was very difficult to predict that without having any prior experience in a GT3 in so much water. I did drive the car before in the rain which was sometimes heavy and didn't have anything like that happen.

I am happy to report that all I got out of it was some grass on the exhaust (makes the car smell funny) and a bruised ego. Could have been worse.
I remember that day as you did it just before I got to that section of track and wondered who did the gardening.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Theory #5
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

I sold the OEM tires after 400 miles, the last 50 of those where in hard Florida rain.
Now I have monsoon rated street tires, no problem.

I tried hard to stay out of traffics way on the interstate, but the max speed was 50MPH, needing 2 lanes with SC kicking on all the time. I would have been good doing 30MPH, but I did not want to get run over by semi's..

This crash could have happened at 30 MPH..
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Same thing here. Coming back from a trackday, 700 km of driving and the last 60 were absolute hell in a downpour with an enormeous amount of standing water. Had to drive 60-65 km/h MAX not to aquaplane with the cups (thats 40 mph'is for you non-metric guys ). Even trucks passed me on the second lane. Also saw 2 cars crashed due to standing water.

This week I had to take the car for maintenance. So you do not really have a choice either but to drive it, no matter what the weather be. Again huge amounts of rain, but less than the other day. I just stuck to the right lane and followed the trucks at 90 km/h. Can imagine the guy in his VW Polo passing you at 120 thinking "what an idiot in his Porsche".

And indeed, having a dedicated set of track wheels is a great idea, but how am I supposed to bring them along? There is no room for that in a GT3. And one of the things I like about this car is the fact that you can just drive it out of the garage, go to the racetrack, do your laps and drive home again without a lot of preparation or packing up to do. I used to ride motorcycles on track for about 6 years and there was always a lot of packing and hauling to do, which after a couple of years you get fed up with too.
You should try taking a Cup Car to the Track!!

Get it there, unload it, jack the car up, change the wheels, run the gears to warm up, suit up and half the bloody day has gone!!

Then you have to pack up and do it all again. Not to mention if you have to unload the car when you get home!!

What a pain in the backside!!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 AM
360bhp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trakcar - hi..noticed you have a gen 2 RS...what kind of wet weather tyres do you have on now instead of the original OEM cups ? cheers
Old 09-15-2010, 08:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

I bought General tires from Tirerack, cheap and perfect for very heavy rain.
I think they are also sold under the Continental brand.

They have huge grooves, looks almost like an all terrain tire, but that's what we need in Florida. This time of year I drive at least once a week through a couple of inches of water while creating my own fog as the steam comes out the front, LOL.

Grip on dry is OK, for cruising around Florida roads (No bends) but they might not be up to UK roundabout driving..
Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 PM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

Just some gossip to add - driver of that RS is a newb. He's getting another RS courtesy of his parents on the condition that he'll get driver training.

Good news - his future tutor is bloody good, went for a ride at the Spa with him yesterday
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that'll buff right out
Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

especially with 40 grit on the buffer

Quick Reply: I am still scratching my head at this GT3 RS.2 Accident.....