Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I am still scratching my head at this GT3 RS.2 Accident.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Distracted?
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,013 Likes on 1,781 Posts

I love the white/gold combo.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 PM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still, you can only feel for the guy, guilty or not....
Old 09-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Theory 1: He was mad at BP
Theory 2: He was heel/toeing into the parking lot (and screwed up)
Theory 3: He was mad at VW (or that particular one)
Theory 4: He temporarily forgot what pedal did what
Theory 5: He is an idiot

What a shame....
Theory 1 FTW.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

A+:Track pads in the rain on MPSC????
C-:Looking at a txt message while the venti latte spilling over and trying to catch it...while listening to NPR downunder reporting that the blowout preventer did actually work and the rest was human error...
Old 09-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

There is a thread on Pistonheads where the owners friend explains what happened. The poster is a regular on PH and not just a troll.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...0crash%20today

or to summarise...

Steve Rance said...
Hi Guys the car was on cups. I don't want to discuss the matter in detail because I do not think it is appropriate on a open forum. The car aquaplaned on standing water, the driver was unsighted until it was too late. It hit the central reservation and then cannoned into the petrol station. The Police have studied the accident on CCTV and concluded that the driver was not speeding or driving dangerously. Due to the potential collateral damage I am sure that you will agree that any hint of dangerous driving would have resulted in a prosecution.

911's are particularly prone to aquaplaning as there is no weight over the nose of the car. I have aquaplaned in a cup car on wets. The weather combined with the dynamics of the 911 may well have caused the accident but once the accident started they also almost certainly saved his life also.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Distracted?
My wife & I looked at this and the first thing I saw was the car... My wife said, "What Car!"
Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts

It really emphasises to me the fact that semi slicks really don't make sense. They are just compromised for the road.

It is far cheaper for everyone to buy a set of track specific tires and wheels for the track and pure road tires for daily driving rather than experience an event such as this. We never drive the car hard enough on the roads to utilise the limits of semi slicks or a good quality road tire anyway (or if we do it would be getting pretty dangerous on public roads) and hence my next set of tires after the Corsa's wear out will be a set of Pilot Sports or other pure road tire.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

It really emphasises to me the fact that semi slicks really don't make sense. They are just compromised for the road.

It is far cheaper for everyone to buy a set of track specific tires and wheels for the track and pure road tires for daily driving rather than experience an event such as this. We never drive the car hard enough on the roads to utilise the limits of semi slicks or a good quality road tire anyway (or if we do it would be getting pretty dangerous on public roads) and hence my next set of tires after the Corsa's wear out will be a set of Pilot Sports or other pure road tire.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

I run the stock class and we are not allowed full slicks... Have to run DOT tires... most run either Hoosier DOT, MPSC or G-force R1's...
Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

It's easy to judge someone else and brag how it will never happen to you.

It's possible the driver was an idiot. It's also possible that he came upon a situation beyond his control.

I did a 720 on the track on a straight (a slight elevation change but essentially no curve). PS2 (note: not PSCs) tires and very heavy rain. Very gentle acceleration and hitting a stream during heavy rain sent me spinning. I know better now but it was very difficult to predict that without having any prior experience in a GT3 in so much water. I did drive the car before in the rain which was sometimes heavy and didn't have anything like that happen.

I am happy to report that all I got out of it was some grass on the exhaust (makes the car smell funny) and a bruised ego. Could have been worse.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Harold

I love the PSCs. You have to understand their limitations. I would never have them on a car that I need to drive in any weather. That's what the daily driver is for.

But it is very convenient to be able to leave the track legally without mounting another set of wheels. Not all tracks have gas pumps and when they do they often charge too much for gas.

Coming to track day and not swapping rubber is very convenient and PSCs make perfect sense then.

The problem is the lack of understanding by many drivers how the "semi-slick" tire is nearly useless in wet weather.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:32 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amaist
I love the PSCs. You have to understand their limitations. I would never have them on a car that I need to drive in any weather. That's what the daily driver is for.

But it is very convenient to be able to leave the track legally without mounting another set of wheels. Not all tracks have gas pumps and when they do they often charge too much for gas.

Coming to track day and not swapping rubber is very convenient and PSCs make perfect sense then.

The problem is the lack of understanding by many drivers how the "semi-slick" tire is nearly useless in wet weather.
I agree with all these statements.... Last Season I ran MPSC's but would put on rains anytime the track got more then damp... They were never on the car for street usage... Car is still street legal. Semi-slicks are not ment for any wet conditions.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWhaley
I run the stock class and we are not allowed full slicks... Have to run DOT tires... most run either Hoosier DOT, MPSC or G-force R1's...
Sorry for the momentary OT.

Hoosier R6's are considered to be slicks or semi slicks? I ran them on my RS on Friday and it put the Corsa semi's to shame that I ran on Saturday. Like night and day.

I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that they were rated as semi's even though one would never dream of driving them on the road.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

That is correct... They are rated as Semi-slicks with the radial grooves in them... but the dig difference between them and full slicks is the DOT rating. i.e side walls and the compound ...

Quick Reply: I am still scratching my head at this GT3 RS.2 Accident.....