Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who thinks the GT2 RS is a bit ridiculous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave a fine gentleman a ride today in my 3RS at Thunderhill and he reciprocated by giving me a ride in his 2004 Challenge Stradale. We both enjoyed the rides immensely and the F car felt planted and rock solid and he was a solid advance group driver.

The interior, exterior and engine compartment of that six year old car was light years ahead of my 2010 GT3RS. It was clearly crafted carefully and lovingly and took a lot of time to create. In comparison my cars fit, finish and details were like that of utility van. We didn't get deep into maintenance but he tracks frequently and the car looks and runs great.

Was it slower than my RS? Yes. But not by that much. And if I wanted to park a car in my living room as modern art, the Stradale would be the one hands down.

Superquant is making a rational and fair presentation and I can't honestly fault his case. I have a 2RS on order and I do feel financially raped (my own fault) by Porsche. Is the 2RS a hell of a car? Yes. Yes indeed. Does it provide the "value" that a 458 does? Including being a piece of modern art? Nope. No way.

Porsche is one of the most profitable car companies in the world as we all know. That comes from having cookie cutter chassis with various binned bits hung on to create a differentation for model line-up. My garage shows where my money has gone, but every time I work on my car, I am reminded how my money went to line shareholders pockets and not into the parts themselves.

Oh PS a lady was there as well with a white 2009 Scuderia which was visually stunning. The craftwork of that car was just insane.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
The GT2RS is a "near" bargain, and time will make it one. If you look at the short term, then I am sure it will tank just like the Scuderia, but if you want to see tanking values, just watch what happens with the F458 in the next 12 months (imo). However, I think 20 years from now, the GT2 RS will be driveable, repairable, have rarity and mythical status; whereas the F458 will be obsolete, unrepairable and look dated and out of style..if it hasn't fried before then. I think the F458 just handed a victory to McLaren but, since no one has experienced this car, more comment is premature.
See, If I didn't know you I would discount this as so much drivel. But I do know you, and respect you, and now I have a new and different perspective from having read your post.

Very interesting and I appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to throw that post up!

And fair and reasoned debate by all I would say...
Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

From the business point of view, you can't blame Porsche for trying to be highly profitable. They learned a lesson the hard way in the early 1990's when they nearly collapsed under large financial losses.

You have to remember that nobody NEEDS to buy a $250k automobile. For most of us, it's an emotional decision that can't really be justified by any objective argument.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

^
The GT2RS is a "near" bargain, and time will make it one. If you look at the short term, then I am sure it will tank just like the Scuderia, but if you want to see tanking values, just watch what happens with the F458 in the next 12 months (imo). However, I think 20 years from now, the GT2 RS will be driveable, repairable, have rarity and mythical status; whereas the F458 will be obsolete, unrepairable and look dated and out of style..if it hasn't fried before then. I think the F458 just handed a victory to McLaren but, since no one has experienced this car, more comment is premature.
This is interesting commentary - I can't say I disagree with you on the 430, the only 430 I was considering spending my money on was the scud, which is a very different experience from the standard 430. The 458 is my first f-car and it is all I was expecting so far (save the recall issue, hoping thats the first and last of that stuff ..). Also, according to more experienced drivers than me, it is their best car in a long time, so perhaps its worth your time to take a test drive to make double sure you don't need one!

I agree it will never be a classic, and perhaps the 2RS will be in 20 years. But really, those points are academic. Is there a single person on this forum that is buying these cars with those kinds of time frames in mind? Lets not kid ourselves, these are toys and if we keep them 3-5 years before rotating that would be very impressive.

Bringing this back to the original thread though, which was not f-car related at all - could you please explain how the 2RS is a "near bargain"? This is what I would like to get educated about. Porsche is charging same or more money than what McLaren will charge, and just look at what all you get with the MP4 ..
Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Porsche is one of the most profitable car companies in the world as we all know. That comes from having cookie cutter chassis with various binned bits hung on to creat a differentation for model line-up. My garage shows where my money has gone, but every time I work on my car, I am reminded how my money went to line shareholders pockets and not into the parts themselves.

i've brought up the point that Porsche makes killing product & always ahead of the game in terms of handling, reliability (RMS exclude ) etc. but they're always being cheap to deliver. i will have no doubt that Porsche can beat Ferrari in any given way in the product. however, when u consider value in the equation it'll just make u think twice.

it's ok for them to charge that much for the car, but they need to deliver more. i know the 2RS is limited to 500, and u'll get a plaque to remind u. but for the extra money they want for the car, they fail to deliver.

i can't speak for others, but i don't really care how fast it is on the Ring, because in my life time i know i'll never be able to achieve anything close to its limit. however, if i were to spend that money on a 911, i just want to make sure i get a truly special, stand out from the crowd 911.

btw, i'm not fancy about Ferrari build quality. in fact, i found handful of flaws in my 360CS & 430. i guess u can say handmade is not always a good thing, but some people are proud of it. i love Porsche, but when u compare the difference between regular 360 to Stradale, 430 to Scuderia, u know what's worth the extra money u paid right away. that's what Porsche fail to deliver.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Didn't we see this 'movie' already when the '08 gt2 came out (just after the 997.1 gt3 RS was introduced) and at an average MSRP of $210K or higher? The cars initially sold. But the reviews were almost universally negative. They have since tanked, now selling at incredible discounted prices, some nearly 50% of their original MSRP value. Not anywhere near the lesser overall depreciation of the .1 gt3 RS. The consensus of this forum back in 2008 was that the gt2 missed the mark (it was referred as the 'widow maker', remember?) and the naturally aspirated gt3RS was the horse to bet on for the true enthusiasts. Why will this gt2RS 'remake' have a different ending? Why expect it to have future 'mythical status' when the previous model was basically a flop? Is the RS version of the gt2 so revolutionary & improved that it will make us forget the recent sad tale of the '08 gt2 version? In my opinion, what would be ridiculous, to get back to the gist of the OP, is if '11 gt2RS buyers meet the same fate as owners of the '08 model! We have two words for that in French - 'déjà vu'. z356

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-bonhams.html

Last edited by Z356; 09-10-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
620HP..that's a widow maker; and all the appeal of the flame to a moth!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:33 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

While my F430 has been extremely reliable, I am not impressed with the engineering, quality or service and the ownership experience leaves much to be desired. Maybe I am not into "bling" or image enough. It is an enjoyable car to a degree but disappoints versus my expectations (maybe I just overrated it), I really enjoy Porsches much more, and I feel a lot safer in the Porsche(s).

That's my perspective too. The Ferrari is an iconic car brand, nobody denies that, but let's not forget, their road cars only existed to finance their grand-prix efforts. Porsche quality is real, perhaps raw/teutonic interiors but the quality is real throughout, based on fundamental engineering expertise, both honed on the race track and in the real world. Has anybody seen Ferrari testing in the Arctic Circle or at Death Valley recently? Porsche was at DV a couple of weeks ago. The other thing is timelessness. If you get the meaning of a 911 you understand - if you are after the next 'salon' pretty thing you don't.

Re bling? Porsche does not lack great leathers and fine stitching, or whatever finish you choose. Is Ferrari leather any better? Softer calf skin? Perhaps some perceive it as better, but I prefer Porsche's more rugged hides - horses for courses.

Yeah, I believe 20 years hence this 2011 GT2RS will be a coveted car and the Italia will be a footnote.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 AM
The Credit Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nugget
Yeah, and my girlfriend uses shampoo that's made from pure tibetan yak tears and imported turkish unfertilized guava plant extract. I have no doubt that those rare ingredients contribute significantly to its cost but I've always been skeptical that they contribute to a better hair-washing experience than my $1.99 bottle of Prell.
That is very funny, man!

EDIT: I just passed on the 2 RS because, if history has taught us anything, it's that history repeats itself; this car will tank on a linear scale. It will depreciate at least $40K within 6 months of its introduction in February, 2011. Furthermore, I can't see the 2 RS being worth $110K more than my GT3 RS, the latter which is the best car I've ever owned.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:18 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep also in mind a couple other things. First the GT2 RS is the most powerful and fastest road car Porsche has even produced. I think I can hear the Carrera GTs resale dropping. Second, the GT2 RS could be the last of the GT1/Mezger engine cars. Porsche has already said these engines will not get direct injection or PDKs. With the fuel economy crackdown that is getting ready to happen, survival of this engine is not likely; at least not for road cars. Does the price seem high? Well, you have to look at what it competes with. To be honest, the only car that might outperform it for less is the new McLaren. Does the $$/performance ratio make sense? Well that is up to the buyer. I suspect Porsche will have not problem selling all these cars.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by The Credit Man
I can't see the 2 RS being worth $110K more than my GT3 RS, the latter which is the best car I've ever owned.

if a GT2RS is ever considered a bargain or reasonable buy, then every car guy should have a GT3RS in their garage. Its performance is cheap to get in comparison.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:57 AM
carbonfib3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
overpriced or not, I don't think I will pay more than GT3/RS money for any sport cars for a while. I do not have the skills to exceed the potential of my RS or any current GT3s anyway. Spending more on another expensive car for me will be totally for bling factor only.
Thats partly true, I admit I do not have the skill to fully explore any of the car I own, ( CSL, 8C, Stradale, Scuderia), lets face it, we are no Walter Rohl, most likely we'll never be in another 50 years even if we had an ENZO as a daily driver to practice our driving skill. But I do enjoy owning these super cars as each of them all provide me with fabulous driving pleasure in their own way. I am extremely looking forward to driving the GT2 RS, it should offer a very different driving experience to my other cars even though it is on par with my Scuderia pricewise....
Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS

Just ask yourself a simple question. If I were given the choice of a free GT2RS or 458 (or 430), then what would you choose?
OK. GT2 RS
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Same --> GT 2RS
Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

carbonfib3r : you don't need an enzo to drive everyday, you need to hone your skills on a ****box. a car with no driver aids and crap tyres, so you can get a real feel of what the chassis is doing. all these drivers like rohrl et al, learnt and cut their teeth on ****boxes; it can't be done the other way round.
the 2rs imo is a ridiculous car. over-styled, over-priced, and over-powered.
somebody before said that the '08 gt2 was no good - i disagree, i think it was a great car. the handling/ride was better than the 7.1 gt3. it is mor discreet, and now represents excellent value in the used arena. the 996 version was the widow maker. i have seen the 458, and, i must admit, it looks great, even though i don't like fazzas. the 360cs is still rockin', i think the 430 scud lives in it's shadow.

Quick Reply: Who thinks the GT2 RS is a bit ridiculous?