Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 - Tyre Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 - Tyre Options

I have Corsas on my 997.2 GT3 however, unfortunately, both rear tyres need changing and there have been no right rear Corsas available in the UK for the last two months. If I can't buy Corsas this week, I'm going to reluctantly change to PS2 for the autumn and winter. I'm desperate to drive my car!!

Are the PS2s the way to go and what size should I be fitting? I'm open to suggestions and grateful for any advice offered. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
I have Corsas on my 997.2 GT3 however, unfortunately, both rear tyres need changing and there have been no right rear Corsas available in the UK for the last two months. If I can't buy Corsas this week, I'm going to reluctantly change to PS2 for the autumn and winter. I'm desperate to drive my car!!

Are the PS2s the way to go and what size should I be fitting? I'm open to suggestions and grateful for any advice offered. Thanks!
One of my local dealers had the same issue. Another one of our local GT3s blew a right rear and they could not get a replacement tire. They got a full set of Bridgestone R050A Pole Positions. Not as good of a track tire, but better on the street.

Coincidentally, he left the 3 remaining tires at a swap meet for free. One of my friends pointed them out and they were politely moved to my storage unit. I coincidentally found a matching right rear on ebay (hint...hint), so I have a full set waiting. You can find a replacement, you just have to look further.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo

Was looking at tyre options myself a couple weeks ago...

- you could try www.tirerack.com for your corsa system rears... if you request air freight-economy, the shipping rates are very reasonable. Just check for import duties on you end.

- as far as street tyres are concerned, I took the advice of others more knowledgable and settled for PS2s (especially if wet weather tracking with them), sizes 235/35 r19 87Y (f) and 305/30 r19 102Y (r)...

Other options depending on local availability include Continental CSC3s, Bridgestone RE050As, Bridgestone RE11s, Pirelli Pzeros, Yokahama V103s... As you are after something to cope with the wetter months, I wont mention the Michelin PS Cup+s but worth trying for summer/track... Just ensure that you maintain load ratings... some of these are N-spec, some not...

best of luck...
Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
PNUT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when my mpsc's wore out, i put on a set of bridgestone re-11's and am very happy with them after 7,000 miles. work very well in wet (especially compared to the mpsc's) and are great street tires that can track as well. also much less expensive.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I replaced my factory PSCs with RE-050As; less dry grip to be sure (less than even PS2s) but good in the rain; for here in south Florida, the latter is a crucial consideration in street tires. For the coin, I'm content.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Happy with the PS2's.

Put Bridgestones on the Ford GT not so happy.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 955 Posts

Not sure your mix of street vs track but if more of latter might want to check out new Pirelli Trofeos as well. A number of threads if you search. Here's one:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...feo-sizes.html
Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I caught the subtle hint so tried Ebay but no luck. Is the Trofeo a direct competitor for the MPSC? If so I'm definitely not interested in that. The country roads around where I live inevitably have large amounts of standing water when it rains and I don't want to tip toe around because the tyres have no tread. I've only done one track day this year and most of my mileage is on the road so the Corsas were perfect.

I guess, since we're into autumn over here in the UK, the PS2s may be the right move; it will be Bridgestones if I can't get the PS2s I'm an optimist so I'll make more phone calls for the Corsas tomorrow but I won't hold my breath ... the car's been off the road long enough and I want to enjoy it before the better weather disappears.

Thanks for the input guys ... I appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

PS2's in the rain are very good. And, they have a real quiet tread pattern.

Corsas are a great combination for the street and occassional track day but you won't get too much mileage out of them compared with the PS2's.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 - Tyre Options