Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pretty happy with the K&N airbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 12:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

No winners and losers here only people sharing views and facts. I like very much that you tested your filter.

I trust no one and always test everything myself. The trick is to test independently and under the exact same conditions to extract unbiased results.

If you test your KN filter vs. an oem gt3 airbox with a kn or bmc panel filter inside in under the exact same conditions temperature etc the results will clearly show that the oem box is better from 3k to redline.
Also if you add the fact that the oem makes better use of the ramair effect of the scoop of the lid and the small round cone filter can’t then we are talking about more hp lost when car is running 100klm/h and up. Apart from the runs I made on a MAHA dyno, I also spent two days testing that as well with a Gtech and durametric connected to read temps.

In any case I think your setup now is lighter and makes a better intake noise so that is something good.

John
Old 09-07-2010 | 12:34 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I will just consider it "resistance training" :-)

hmmm... I will test BMC/stock box vs my current weak set up and report back results

After october track days, car goes in for some winter work which will include some dyno testing.
Old 09-07-2010 | 12:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Subscribed
Old 09-07-2010 | 01:24 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

PJS, I too think it's great you went to such lengths even having flow Bench info. Kudos my friend

Got pictures of that modified air box from your '6 GT3 you'd share?
Old 09-07-2010 | 01:26 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

^ thanks

I do not have pictures of it... it was pretty frenkenstin looking by the time we were done with it...
Old 09-07-2010 | 02:12 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
^ thanks

I do not have pictures of it... it was pretty frenkenstin looking by the time we were done with it...
I'll ask 007 to take pictures next time he changes the filter
Old 09-07-2010 | 02:26 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

007 has K&N as I felt badly selling the car with a hacked to hell frankenstein looking air box...

I felt frankenbox (heh i knew her in college) would not make a good first impression upon receipt of the car.
Old 09-07-2010 | 03:11 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

007 has K&N as I felt badly selling the car with a hacked to hell frankenstein looking air box...

I felt frankenbox (heh i knew her in college) would not make a good first impression upon receipt of the car.
Bring it to ORP in Oct!
Old 09-07-2010 | 03:19 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I think I gave it to my tech... or that he has it...
If he has it and I can get it, it is all yours.

I am going to see him today to pick up my car... I will ask him.

BTW -- I have a cup car delivery plastic fuel tank the 90L ROW tank that I was going to put into my 996-3, you interested in that... I paid $500 iirc... if you are interested, I will take some pics etc... but I could bring that as well... no better time to put it into your car than when your suspension is coming out (winter I presume)...
Old 09-07-2010 | 03:35 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks PJ!

I'll think about the tank. Hadn't considered that before. Hmmm.....
Old 09-07-2010 | 03:45 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Nigel has one in his car... I just never got around to installing it and the benefit for me would be on the road and I do not not get enough road use in to warrant installing it...

Let me know and I will get it picked up and brought to my house for the trip down...

I am not looking to make $ on it.
Old 09-07-2010 | 05:56 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

PJS: trusting someone else by no means indicate that there would be no trust in you....I am just going by the projects that I have seen over time from what I consider a reliable source....I suppose we could put you to the test as well so you too can be complimented
Old 09-07-2010 | 06:22 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

no problem...
I simply do not do a lot of documentation because I am not doing my own work... my tech is and I am not paying him by the hour to take pictures.

I get it... Mikymiu is a highly valued addition to RL due to his nice personality and his awesome documentation of his work (I still think "LSD Buster" is one of the all time great threads).

I mainly sit in the cheap sits and take pot shots

I would likely not believe the KN stuff if I did not witness it first hand... now I did not do as extensive testing as 911Slow... but repeatable back to back dyno pulls in identical conditions seems pretty conclusive to me. Heat soak I get, but to me, at speed, the CAI will actually be cooler... neither here nor there though.

KN is a touchy subject on porsches for some reason... I have had them on various cars/motorcycles for years will no ill effects... initially purcahsed for the "lifetime" feature and if it happens to add a little power then great...

Tech bought mine... dyno'd it... approved... gave me results... told me that it is not life altering but makes power for $300... I bought it.

it is nominal anyway... the 997.1 RS with a stock filter is great.
Old 09-07-2010 | 06:33 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

^ Well said...So many great people on this forum....RL Rocks.
Old 09-07-2010 | 07:29 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

no problem...
I simply do not do a lot of documentation because I am not doing my own work... my tech is and I am not paying him by the hour to take pictures.

I get it... Mikymiu is a highly valued addition to RL due to his nice personality and his awesome documentation of his work (I still think "LSD Buster" is one of the all time great threads).

I mainly sit in the cheap sits and take pot shots

I would likely not believe the KN stuff if I did not witness it first hand... now I did not do as extensive testing as 911Slow... but repeatable back to back dyno pulls in identical conditions seems pretty conclusive to me. Heat soak I get, but to me, at speed, the CAI will actually be cooler... neither here nor there though.

KN is a touchy subject on porsches for some reason... I have had them on various cars/motorcycles for years will no ill effects... initially purcahsed for the "lifetime" feature and if it happens to add a little power then great...

Tech bought mine... dyno'd it... approved... gave me results... told me that it is not life altering but makes power for $300... I bought it.

it is nominal anyway... the 997.1 RS with a stock filter is great.
can always trust an Ivy Leaguer not from New England.

Quick Reply: Pretty happy with the K&N airbox