Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: What Color would you choose for GT2 RS?
GT Silver w/Black Wheels
27.73%
Carrera White w/Black Wheels
41.18%
Guards Red w/Black Wheels
31.09%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Need a Vote - Color Choice on GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
This is the exact reason why I cancelled my order and requested a refund of my deposit.

A Special car like this deserves a special color!

Color choice too bland and boring.

For that much $$ Porsche should allow their best customers to specify PTS
Indeed. Porsche appears to be sandbagging. I think this 911 deserves all the same level of personalization as the Carrera GT (or a base model Boxster ...)

While I don't need a personal yellow, I would at least like to get Carrara white without the preposterous begging for $3K. Good grief.

I also see a shade of contradiction in the idea of the "wild west ***** house" red velour cabin at the same time as the muted red/white/black/silver paint schemes.

As for the wheels, surely the buyers need to see realistic photographs of the wheels before being asked to decide.

Personally, I'd be happy with the GT Silver (somewhat ironically a "premium" color on lesser models) and black cabin, then focus the options budget on the lightweight fenders, headlights and battery. Anything left over can be frittered away on the froufrou faux carbon trim bits for the cabin and I'd happily carry the extra few pounds for full leather instead of New York taxi plastic.

What I'd really like to see is the integrated roll cage, bespoke helmets, HANS collar and custom fit seat, along with fire system and built in RaceKeeper data acquisition linked into a factory Sport Chrono (without the desk clock) and download software ... and wifi to an iPhone for "heads up" display would be nice ... but might be asking just a little too much of the Germans ...

If anyone can get all this stuff off the Internet and piece it together with the local race shop, why can't Porsche make it happen for their quarter million dollar 997 swan song?

Porsche needs to read some of its own history and prevent "Excellence" being of solely historical reference.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What I'd really like to see is the integrated roll cage, bespoke helmets, HANS collar and custom fit seat, along with fire system and built in RaceKeeper data acquisition linked into a factory Sport Chrono (without the desk clock) and download software ... and wifi to an iPhone for "heads up" display would be nice ... but might be asking just a little too much of the Germans ...
now, we are tallking.
perhaps you should get a job with PAG and help the rest of us dream come true.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Can't vote this one because the best choice isn't listed. The best looking GT2 RS is Black/White-Gold. Period. Black completely integrates all the Carbon bits and White-Gold provides the perfect contrast. All the rest of the color combinations make it look too much like your common lowered civic. In other words, rice-rice-baby.
I agree. This is just wicked.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 AM
carbonfib3r
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone can get all this stuff off the Internet and piece it together with the local race shop, why can't Porsche make it happen for their quarter million dollar 997 swan song?

Porsche needs to read some of its own history and prevent "Excellence" being of solely historical reference.
Absolutely!!!!!! Porsche is probably too busy expanding their market and put all their attention to cars such as Cayenne and Panamera, and totally forgotten about what really made Porsche a Porsche........

Last edited by carbonfib3r; 09-07-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

That would make it a Ruf and easily worth 250K.......
Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

GT2XX with all the ferrari style matching data and suits and helmets etc would be really cool but originally that's what this car was rumored to be- people bitched and moaned it wouldn't be a street car so porsche made it a street car.

February 2, 2009
The rumor mill is at it again, speculating that Porsche will release a new GT2 RS. PistonHeads is reporting the German automaker may be building a lighter GT2 with a 580 horsepower engine.

Built specifically for the track, the Porsche GT2 RS would appease critics who claim the current GT2 is better on the road than on a circuit. Helping to lighten the load is an acrylic glass rear window made by Perspex. Additional mods would include center-locking wheels, possibly similar to the 19" RS Spyder forged aluminum model available for the 911 Turbo.

These modifications result in an incredible 14% weight reduction, or 200kg.

The current Porsche GT2 was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2007 as a 530 bhp (390 kW) unit. Thanks to a horizontally-opposed six-cylinder 3.6-liter twin turbo engine, it goes 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds, on its way to a 204mph top speed. All this comes at a cost: $191,000 USD.

Although the 911 GT3 RS costs $20,000 more than the GT3, it seems likely a GT2 RS would be significantly more expensive than a GT2. After all, a Porsche GT2 costs $60,000 more than a 911 Turbo, and also features a 50 hp increase and 145kg weight decrease.

Is it possible that the Porsche 911 GT2 RS will cost upwards of $250,000? Only time will tell.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also see a shade of contradiction in the idea of the "wild west ***** house" red velour cabin at the same time as the muted red/white/black/silver paint schemes.

I take exception to your 'wild west ***** house" comment. You say it as if it is a bad thing? A comforting color scheme if you ask me... But then, I live in the Wild West...lol.

Seriously, your vision is spot on. All the real deal and none of what the Germans think is the real deal for us American trackers. Fit the damn car out properly for that kind of money eh? We get the car and then have to spend another two weeks and $XXXX to make it ready for use. Ugh...

Now I am wondering does it even still have the same old POS Limited Slip Differential that doesn't work?

Oh boy...
Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
jdcohenmd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going with Black

Last edited by jdcohenmd; 01-01-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't vote this one because the best choice isn't listed. The best looking GT2 RS is Black/White-Gold. Period. Black completely integrates all the Carbon bits and White-Gold provides the perfect contrast. All the rest of the color combinations make it look too much like your common lowered civic. In other words, rice-rice-baby.
That is an impressive look. I'd like to see some real light, unshopped pics of those wheels. If the gold wheels work, I'd be tempted by going with black, even though it's absurd to pay for black and I really dislike caring for a black car on the track. This is another undesirable aspect of the car being "presented" to buyers at the track -- no opportunity to get it delivered, cleaned and sealed in 3M.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Seriously, your vision is spot on. All the real deal and none of what the Germans think is the real deal for us American trackers. Fit the damn car out properly for that kind of money eh? We get the car and then have to spend another two weeks and $XXXX to make it ready for use. Ugh...

Now I am wondering does it even still have the same old POS Limited Slip Differential that doesn't work?
You can toss the 3RS in that pot as well. Porsche claim they listened to their customers that asked for a more track-oriented RS but apparently they were referring to the way a husband listens to his spouse of 30yrs - just enough to divert the heavy flak but little more.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcohenmd
I am going with Black
Nice pics

The carbon looks dark gray in that light. In fact, the carbon bits look similar in color to the matte black pieces: front spoiler, rockers, etc. I saw you can also go all black interior (comes with full leather/full alcantara) and black seats belts at no charge.

BTW, unlike the current GT3/GT3 RS, this one is guaranteed to be exclusive. They are only building 500 worldwide with everyone getting a unique serial number plaque (like the Jahre and Carrera Classic). US will only be getting half of those at the most.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics

BTW, unlike the current GT3/GT3 RS, this one is guaranteed to be exclusive. They are only building 500 worldwide with everyone getting a unique serial number plaque (like the Jahre and Carrera Classic). US will only be getting half of those at the most.
Wasn't the '73 RS originally limited to 500 ........ then 1000 ......... and finally 1500 ? ? ?

Wasn't the CGT production limit supposed to be 500 ......... then 1000 ......... and finally 1500 ? ? ?

Unfortunately for Porsche, CGT buyers fizzled by 1250 +/-. Porsches "out" for cutting production was the pending '06 airbag regs for the US market .

Based on Porsches marketing track record, If they think that they have a ground swell of demand for this newest "Limited Production" car then they will make more than 500. They will make as many as they can sell ........ they are a production car company owned by another production car company and profit is the only motivator

In this case I think that the current economy will keep this model exclusive !

Where is my "stimulus" check when I need it ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
Where is my "stimulus" check when I need it ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
Right behind your tax increase in '11. Don't expect to net out in the black.

Quick Reply: Need a Vote - Color Choice on GT2 RS