Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2RS- Mass US Delivery Feb 11-14

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT2RS- Mass US Delivery Feb 11-14

US customers GT2RS will be released/delivered on Feb 19th locally or during an en masse event week of Feb 11-14 at a track venue. ALL US cars will delivered at this time. All in one shot.

Those customers who choose, may take delivery at an east coast (and perhaps a west coast location too) location TBD for one day personal driving instruction in the car by a Porsche instructor. Their car. Those not wishing an at-track delivery in this location my choose to be delivered at their dealer instead. Those choosing track delivery may drive their car home. Travel and accomodation for track delivery will be at the dealers expense.

Arriving the night before the track delivery day, dinner will also be hosted by Porsche.

I would guess Barber in Birmingham to be the natural choice, but we shall see.

All signed buyers orders must be submitted to Porsche by Sept 11th. I will be choosing red, and am fully prepared to drive "flat-out"

Added- for cars not being delivered to the mass release event - no delivery can occur before Feb 19th. All build slots will be locked in the US Porsche system by Sept 10th.
Attached Images  

Last edited by savyboy; 08-24-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: correct info
Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

So much for the Porsche recommended break in miles.....straight to the track must be the best way to break'er in
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Allocations still available? I heard they were all sold out.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are allocations, but it's early days and who know what will happen.
But this seems to be the general plan.
The devil is in the details, but I think it sounds like a tremendous event.
The logistics of 100+ cars in any one place? At a track? Laguna surely if anywhere ... it's the only world renown "brand" of track in the US (all due respect to Sebring and Daytona, but I think they're a different audience.) I guess the cost advantages and venue of Barber makes sense, but Laguna would be the real deal.
If Leno and Seinfeld et al are going to take one for their collections, how do you convince all the celebs to show up at the same place and time for a day of fun and games? What if someone wants factory delivery and a bit of Nordschleife in their life? : )
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah

I'll drive mine back to Boston in February.......

Half the country will be covered in snow and be below 30 degrees. Ideal conditions for the GT2RS

Who dreams up these events???
Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by malmasri
So much for the Porsche recommended break in miles.....straight to the track must be the best way to break'er in
SEE? I told you so!

Originally Posted by scott40
Allocations still available? I heard they were all sold out.
A small handful probably, but if you want one you best not wait longer than a couple days to sign a buyers order. All builds will be locked in three weeks.

Originally Posted by GJ
Yeah

Half the country will be covered in snow and be below 30 degrees. Ideal conditions for the GT2RS

I am in the same situation. My house in Feb is a snowfield with ice-icing...sounds awesome now but the fact is I will need to have it trucked home...

But Laguna Seca will be a lovely place to be! Lol!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
But Laguna Seca will be a lovely place to be! Lol!
If LS... you and CarreraGT must get me a pass to the event. I'll shoot photos.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

so, savy, where r u taking delivery of it?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GJ
Yeah

I think you're right about the weather in Feb around Barber ... 30% days of rain per Feb average, temps around 30-40 ... seasonal snowfalls through march ... yikes!

Also, a nightmare getting into the place by air (that's the only downside to PSDS, getting to Birmingham via Atlanta) and once you're there, it's pretty much a single point of interest destination unless you like "tourist" style golf courses.

I think we can scratch Barber off the short list. I think Laguna is the slam dunk. They've got the Jet Center (from the 918 launch) so they've scoped out the locale and logistics, it's easy to fly 100 customers into the place (and probably 25 of those customers are already Bay Area.)

Laguna would also make for a killer "reunion" venue for those drivers on the left coast. I think the main thing is it's historic significance and world renown name.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
If LS... you and CarreraGT must get me a pass to the event. I'll shoot photos.

Originally Posted by mooty
so, savy, where r u taking delivery of it?
Gotta hear the details... I may need a stand-in, a surrogate, can you help me?

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think you're right about the weather in Feb around Barber ... 30% days of rain per Feb average, temps around 30-40 ... seasonal snowfalls through march ... yikes!

Also, a nightmare getting into the place by air (that's the only downside to PSDS, getting to Birmingham via Atlanta) and once you're there, it's pretty much a single point of interest destination unless you like "tourist" style golf courses.

I think we can scratch Barber off the short list. I think Laguna is the slam dunk. They've got the Jet Center (from the 918 launch) so they've scoped out the locale and logistics, it's easy to fly 100 customers into the place (and probably 25 of those customers are already Bay Area.)

Laguna would also make for a killer "reunion" venue for those drivers on the left coast. I think the main thing is it's historic significance and world renown name.
As usual, makes sense. But the letter does specifically say "driver training and vehicle orientation program at a driving venue on the East Coast. This event will allow customers to test (lol!) their cars and receive professional driving instruction in a controlled environment hosted by Porsche."
Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy

Gotta hear the details... I may need a stand-in, a surrogate, can you help me?

As usual, makes sense. But the letter does specifically say "driver training and vehicle orientation program at a driving venue on the East Coast. This event will allow customers to test (lol!) their cars and receive professional driving instruction in a controlled environment hosted by Porsche."
I guess that's the gist of it then. Will they be fitting snow tires to the GT2s?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I guess that's the gist of it then. Will they be fitting snow tires to the GT2s?
Studded snows.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Pete-You're welcome to leave it at VIR if you end up close to there in Feb, can roll it in the showroom until the spring thaw...you should come out here anyway and play with us, David Murry Days in Oct? Cole
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

Savy....cool....

Too bad they don't do it during the 48hours of Sebring the 1st week in Feb. More GT3's and Cup cars together than any other place.....

Just leave it in South Florida anyways, the weather is nice in Feb. I'll park the GT3 outside ;-)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by cscrogham
Pete-You're welcome to leave it at VIR if you end up close to there in Feb, can roll it in the showroom until the spring thaw...you should come out here anyway and play with us, David Murry Days in Oct? Cole
Hi Cole, a very kind offer, let's see where they do the intro? And what kind of winter we have this year /

Would you believe I have already have four booked track events in Oct? Seriously, can meth really be more addictive? Oh my...

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Savy....cool....

Too bad they don't do it during the 48hours of Sebring the 1st week in Feb. More GT3's and Cup cars together than any other place.....

Just leave it in South Florida anyways, the weather is nice in Feb. I'll park the GT3 outside ;-)
Hi Peter- Maybe it will be Sebring? Feb would be good to drive in FL, cool and lower humidity. Hmmm, how can I figure out a two month SE vacation? I have a place to park it (Peter's house) maybe fly back/forth? If we could find somebody to drive it for me to keep the battery up that would be great...

From a fine gentleman's postings on another forum (of which we must not speak), I gather Porsche is actually doing separate east and west coast track events in the same week. Maybe I can do the west one instead. We will see how it all shakes out.

Delivery in Monterey/Laguna Seca and then to park it in Thusly's garage at Spring Mountain until the spring thaw here...hmmm...let me see...hmmmm Lol! What do you think Fred??? (he has no room for another car...haha!)

CarreraGT is making noises about buying a stacker trailer, maybe he can make a home for it?

I am waiting for other prospective buyers to show themselves in this thread? Hey folks, come on out? What is your spec?

Quick Reply: GT2RS- Mass US Delivery Feb 11-14