Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 rs MK I what mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 rs MK I what mods?

Id like to know your opinions what is good to make to improve the car performance. According to my experience of 6gt3 i think:

1. exhaust- saving 15-20 kg, give 15-20ps, which do you recommend?
2 ECU
3. Regearing 3,4,5,6
4 may be 3,9L conversion
5 suspension?

I wonder your experience?

ps one question: is it possible to put 18' wheels on the car with PCCB?

thanks
Marcin

Last edited by MM-Racing; 08-19-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hire a professional driving coach.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The 997 GT3 Rs MKI is alot of car from the factory...I suggest getting a good shop to do an alignement for the track and then drive it as much as you can for a while before going wild with mods.
Car comes with 19" from factory but in case you,re asking about 18" the answer is yes
Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

trade it in for a TT
Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Hire a professional driving coach.
yes, man learns all life

malmasri
thx 18" thats what I meant
Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by MM-Racing
Id like to know your opinions what is good to make to improve the car performance. According to my experience of 6gt3 i think:

1. exhaust- saving 15-20 kg, give 15-20ps, which do you recommend?
2 ECU
3. Regearing 3,4,5,6
4 may be 3,9L conversion
5 suspension?

I wonder your experience?

ps one question: is it possible to put 19' wheels on the car with PCCB?

thanks
Marcin
- replace the rear swaybar for the GT2 OEM part, dial out some of that understeer
- install the cup front splitter
- if you must, replace ctr or all of rear exhaust with lighter system
- Alex at Sharkwerks would happily install their EvoMSit ECU software, or Cargraphics
- pop a roll bar or cage in it, better seats and harnesses ...
- better track rubber

that's about it ... I will save you some money...

while you could regear the transmission, what exactly is your goal in doing so, and how will the overall drivability be effected?

You could do a 3.9L conversion, and if I let anyone do that it would be Sharkwerks or Manthey who are closer to you, but you might be cheaper just buying a 3.8L car.

As to the suspension, there are many great systems out there from KW, Moton etc, the issue for me at least is that finding someone with the track experience to properly spring, valve and adjust the suspension to improve the car is like finding a needle in a haystack ... and now we are looking at $30k+ of work on a car that you will *never* recover when you come to sell it, and the incremental value of all this to your driving experience is measured in what?
2-5 secs a lap at your favorite track ...

If you think you have exceeded the performance envelope of your .1, my advice is sell it and buy a 2010 or 2011 GT3 RS while you can.

At the end of the day, you may well spend less, you will get an equal or better car, and it will retain its resale much better ... spend the rest on driving coaching ...

Of course all this applies if you a an "occasional" track day participant, if you are "racing" in some series these modifications you suggest may make sense in that context.

Enjoy

Last edited by Larry Cable; 08-19-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

The two biggest difference makers on the car in terms of on-track performance are simple- proper alignment with a few mm lowering from factory ride height- something around 9 or 10mm. next is upgraded toe adjustment arms so the rear toe stays what it's set at.

the exhaust stuff is really just for noise unless you get a full on system that loses 30 or 40 lbs and the mufflers. but then you'd probably get arrested for being too loud I'm guessing?

a +30-55hp 3.9 kit or whatever will cost a TON of money and personally I'd rather not, but hey it's your money.

ECU tuning might get you 7 or 8 hp. might lose you 7 or 8 hp. I'd only do that if you're getting the full 3.9 and exhaust combo otherwise it's kind of a waste of money and expectations.

shorter gears will give you a lot quicker acceleration feel for the track

suspension only needs to be modified by alignment and ride height unless you're REALLY tracking heavily and even then it's really only harder springs that I would suggest as the other stuff is really overkill on a mixed use car.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

^
What he said. Plus lose weight (both you and the car) and learn to drive it!

Oh and Rennline pedals.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

So Marcin, you will not keep the 6 and do the 3.9 after all?

John

Last edited by 911SLOW; 08-19-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2010, 03:18 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said the GT3 RS is a very stout track weapon from the factory. The only things I would suggest are as follows.

Suspension- Adjustable rear toe links (I use TPC Racing). Shims will be required for the frt lower control arms to get the desired alignment settings and also plan on swapping the frt control arms side to side to achieve the correct castor settings.

Sure you can spend an additional $2K+USD on all sorts of suspension stuff but I would suggest start modestly and get a baseline on the car before you go crazy.

I use 18" CCW C10 wheels (9" front & 12" rear) and they fit fine over the 380mm/350mm PCCB rotors and calipers.

Have fun while you are at it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
So Marcin, you want keep the 6 and do the 3.9 after all?

John
Manthey or Cargraphic?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

He is a Manthey fan I think.
I will do mine in RS tuning.
Then I ll drive to Poland to compare the cars.
That was the plan until he started asking in the 7gt forum and you guys sold him to consider "upgrading" to a 7.

John
Old 08-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

He is a Manthey fan I think.
I will do mine in RS tuning.
Then I ll drive to Poland to compare the cars.
That was the plan until he started asking in the 7gt forum and you guys sold him to consider "upgrading" to a 7.

John
I thought he already had a 997.1 GT3 or RS ...

RS tuning eh ... better than Parr or JZMachtech or do they not do engine kits?

I recon that Olaf knows a thing or two ...

Honestly its a tough call ... modify the 6 with it's razor sharp handling or upgrade to a .7

if it were me, I would probably spend the cash upgrading to a newer car, reason being that you can recoup some of that cash when/if you resell ....
upgrading the 6 would essentially be throwing the cash away when you come to sell it later ...

ask me about the $30k+ I dropped on my 1996 993 C2S and sold at market value with zero return on the 3.8L engine, LWFW, RS suspension and big red upgrade to name but a few ...

Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I thought he already had a 997.1 GT3 or RS ...

RS tuning eh ... better than Parr or JZMachtech or do they not do engine kits?

I recon that Olaf knows a thing or two ...

Honestly its a tough call ... modify the 6 with it's razor sharp handling or upgrade to a .7

if it were me, I would probably spend the cash upgrading to a newer car, reason being that you can recoup some of that cash when/if you resell ....
upgrading the 6 would essentially be throwing the cash away when you come to sell it later ...

ask me about the $30k+ I dropped on my 1996 993 C2S and sold at market value with zero return on the 3.8L engine, LWFW, RS suspension and big red upgrade to name but a few ...

Marcin has already a lot of mods in his 6 so I think it’s a no brainer to keep it than start from zero again in a 7 gt3 RS or not.
Now if he was thinking to upgrade to a gt3.2 rs then the game changes so does the money involved.

Manthey and Cargraphic/RS tuning are both very good. The others mentioned are resellers.
RS tuning is IMO the best ECU tuner for Porsche in Europe today.
Ask me how I know.

If you don't part the car and sell the mods you will never take any of your money back.
In a 993 C4S i had I stopped and sold it one week before pulling the trigger on the 3.8L although I had already spent enough to learn the lesson (not that I did learn just an expression)..
I have spent so much now on the 6 that I will probably keep the car for ever until I can't stand the noise and ride anymore and then lock it in a basement for my daughter (or her boyfriend ).
Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Marcin has already a lot of mods in his 6 so I think it’s a no brainer to keep it than start from zero again in a 7 gt3 RS or not.
Now if he was thinking to upgrade to a gt3.2 rs then the game changes so does the money involved.
agreed, sounds like a no brainer to me too...since its a 6 and already modded maybe a KW suspension might be called for as an improvement over the stock 6 OEM setup ...

Manthey and Cargraphic/RS tuning are both very good. The others mentioned are resellers.
RS tuning is IMO the best ECU tuner for Porsche in Europe today.
Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

If you don't part the car and sell the mods you will never take any of your money back.
In a 993 C4S i had I stopped and sold it one week before pulling the trigger on the 3.8L although I had already spent enough to learn the lesson (not that I did learn just an expression)..
I think I have pretty much learned from my 993 C2S experience to just buy a better car before taking the engine/transmission apart ... its feckin expensive, it kills the resale and the gains (unless its blown) are typically v.expensive per bhp (or at least it was on my 993) ... I think I have also learned that unless you
have a shop that has a clue about suspension setup dropping an expensive adjustable into a car is not worth it either ...

I have spent so much now on the 6 that I will probably keep the car for ever until I can't stand the noise and ride anymore and then lock it in a basement for my daughter (or her boyfriend ).
She will be one popular girl ... is that really your intention?

Quick Reply: 997 rs MK I what mods?