Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 C4S versus 997.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010 | 12:44 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Default 997.2 C4S versus 997.1 GT3

In a straight line almost the same, considering C4S has PDK

On a twisty road, who has the advantage ? Also very even, right ? C4S has AWD and PDK in its favor, but GT3 is ligther, revs higher and has stickier tyres

So, in the end, both cars are very simmilar, considering ONLY their performance measures ?
Old 08-11-2010 | 12:55 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Same tires and 997.2 with enough front camber would be a drivers race on a road course
On a very highspeed track / long straights - hp will give edge to gt3 (but exhaust and tune for 997.2 would make it equal)
On certain track corners a LSD is a huge advantage however
Old 08-11-2010 | 02:42 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

So, in the end, both cars are very simmilar, considering ONLY their performance measures ?
The two cars are very different, and they cannot be considered ONLY by the numbers.

Spend some seat time on both cars, one will conclude how different the engine characteristics, the transmissions, the suspensions, and the sensations of these two cars offer.

The differences are so significant that there are two camps of owners which favor one over another.

Drive both, and decide.

At the end, both are different flavors yet still a 911. Not much about better or worse, but more like a personal choice.

Regards,
Old 08-11-2010 | 05:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
The two cars are very different, and they cannot be considered ONLY by the numbers.

Spend some seat time on both cars, one will conclude how different the engine characteristics, the transmissions, the suspensions, and the sensations of these two cars offer.

The differences are so significant that there are two camps of owners which favor one over another.

Drive both, and decide.

At the end, both are different flavors yet still a 911. Not much about better or worse, but more like a personal choice.

Regards,
well said ...

Ive driven both a C2S and a GT3 on the nordschleife, the C2S is noticably slower around that track than a GT3 ... not sure how the 4S would do ... cant tell
if the AWD would be a plus or a minus ... the weight of the AWD+PDK would certainly not be an advantage IMHO.
Old 08-11-2010 | 06:47 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Did a short test drive of a .1 GT3 yesterday... on the road. Most noticeable was the shifting action but otherwise, it didn't "blow me away", which was expected... on the road.

However, when I got back in to my .1 C2S, I couldn't believe how "slow and soft" it was.
Old 08-11-2010 | 07:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

They are TWO very different cars.
Drive both, then decide.
Old 08-11-2010 | 09:05 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

I for one can not imagin owning another non-GT 911 again. The list of what is better is just too long.
Old 08-11-2010 | 09:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

The 4wd perplexes the comparison. I for one hate the 4wd system of Porsche any of them since I had driven a 964 4 with it owned a 9934S which was a disaster to the 996 4 system which was like a haldex clutch and to the 997 which was improved but still very unpredictable for any serious fast driving road or track, now I read that the newer Turbo has shorted it out and it’s much better probably the 997.2 has the same I don’t know.
So for me Porsche 911 and 4WD don’t match. I understand the advantages of the 4 if you leave someplace that you would benefit from it but on the other hand why buy a Porsche 911 in such a place? Buy a jeep or something.
C2S PDK vs. GT3 is another matter, beaten to death already. If you care about my opinion I would take a gt3 over it any gt3 in fact.

John
Old 08-11-2010 | 11:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Hey John, I guess your pooch is pretty excited to see you
Old 08-12-2010 | 12:01 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

^ How you know that?
Old 08-12-2010 | 12:44 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Well driving is all about seeing isn't it?
Old 08-13-2010 | 11:28 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by 964C4
In a straight line almost the same, considering C4S has PDK

On a twisty road, who has the advantage ? Also very even, right ? C4S has AWD and PDK in its favor, but GT3 is ligther, revs higher and has stickier tyres

I have had both cars. The GT-3 is noisier by far than the C4S. It is edgier because the factory upgraded the engine for more HP and lightened the car for less mass. On a twisty road or autocross the GT-3 is far superior. On a trip to town or just our touring I would take a regular 911S or 4S everyday of the week. Too many compromises with the GT-3 for "daily" driving.
Old 08-13-2010 | 12:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
^ How you know that?
I guess he's ready to party.
Maybe a three-way with the exhaust cans?

... I'm not judging ...
Old 08-13-2010 | 12:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
The 4wd perplexes the comparison. I for one hate the 4wd system of Porsche any of them since I had driven a 964 4 with it owned a 9934S which was a disaster to the 996 4 system which was like a haldex clutch and to the 997 which was improved but still very unpredictable for any serious fast driving road or track, now I read that the newer Turbo has shorted it out and it’s much better probably the 997.2 has the same I don’t know.
So for me Porsche 911 and 4WD don’t match. I understand the advantages of the 4 if you leave someplace that you would benefit from it but on the other hand why buy a Porsche 911 in such a place? Buy a jeep or something.
C2S PDK vs. GT3 is another matter, beaten to death already. If you care about my opinion I would take a gt3 over it any gt3 in fact.

John
The new AWD technology on the 4 and 4S and Turbo is sensational. I haven't tried "PTV" but I have an '09 C4S Cab and, combined with PDK, it's a rocket sled. The Sport Plus upshifts never get old. The thing you really miss is the "tractability" of the rpm limit in the GT3 and RS -- that's a helluva weapon. PDK shifts are quicker than manual, but quicker still is not having to shift at all and always being close to peak power above 4500 rpm means 4000 rpm to play with up to a very smooth red line.

Having tracked both on decent rubber (not PS2's) the 4S with PDK is not held back by the AWD at all. Driver for driver, on the track, the .1 GT3 will make its superiority known. Amateur against amateur, track or street, I wouldn't want to be placing bets on the GT3 dominating. I still think it should return the better results and be more enjoyable lap after lap, day after day. Then again, the redeeming qualities of PDK are available with every freeway ramp or a few miles of winding mountain roads. Matter of fact ... I think I'll go have some now ... : )
Old 08-13-2010 | 12:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I guess he's ready to party.
Maybe a three-way with the exhaust cans?

... I'm not judging ...
He had a thing for free exhausts really, anyway I made the avatar b&w so its more of art than ****.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The new AWD technology on the 4 and 4S and Turbo is sensational. I haven't tried "PTV" but I have an '09 C4S Cab and, combined with PDK, it's a rocket sled. The Sport Plus upshifts never get old. The thing you really miss is the "tractability" of the rpm limit in the GT3 and RS -- that's a helluva weapon. PDK shifts are quicker than manual, but quicker still is not having to shift at all and always being close to peak power above 4500 rpm means 4000 rpm to play with up to a very smooth red line.

Having tracked both on decent rubber (not PS2's) the 4S with PDK is not held back by the AWD at all. Driver for driver, on the track, the .1 GT3 will make its superiority known. Amateur against amateur, track or street, I wouldn't want to be placing bets on the GT3 dominating. I still think it should return the better results and be more enjoyable lap after lap, day after day. Then again, the redeeming qualities of PDK are available with every freeway ramp or a few miles of winding mountain roads. Matter of fact ... I think I'll go have some now ... : )
I drove pdk 2s and was like a faster v8 m3 great gearbox super fast maybe will allow people to be faster on the track as well when it joins the gt3 later but I ll stick with the manual for now, as I prefer the fun and challenge and dont care to be any faster really cause I am not racing with anyone.

About the 4wd I am glad to hear they fixed it, I didnt like it at all, maybe a car with it would be faster or drivable in bad weather condition but to go fast and enjoy no no it was nerve breaking didnt know if the car would understeer oversteer slide do nothing.
PVT sounds interesting I think it is part of the playstation GTRs 4wd system.

John

Quick Reply: 997.2 C4S versus 997.1 GT3