Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dymag refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a set of Dymags that came with the car (996GT3) when I biught it 3 years ago. I loved the wheels and I used them only on the track, but eventually cracked 3 of the magnesium centers. I contacted Dymag just before they went under, and it was going to be a $5K+ to replace the centers and refurb the barrels. Said thanks but no thanks, and now they're taking up space in the basement, hoping that someday Dymag comes back to life and the wheels can be repaired. Sounds like there is an option now to refurb the CF barrel, but how about replacing the magnesium centers ? Does anyone know of a company who can do that ?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 04:14 PM
chardonet
Racer

Now it can be told.....Since this post was revived, I'd like to share my experience with what was once Dymag, Mr. Bill Koenig (who was the distributor here in the US), and Wheel Enhancement.

My original magnesium spoke Dymag started to make "clickity-clack" noises from one of the rears. I had the local dealer check out the situation, and it was determined that the sound was emanating from the wheel. I contacted Bill, who, SIGHT-UNSEEN, ordered up another BRAND NEW set from Dymag. The cause of the issue was the hardware that mounted the spokes to the CF barrels. When I spoke to Bill, he knew the exact cause, and told me not to do anything "crazy" while the original wheels were still on my GT-3.

Through Bill, Dymag was gracious enough to switch my original grey colored spokes to black, and to the newer concave design rears, at NO additional cost. Dymag replaced the entire wheel, (not just the spokes and hardware), with the new magnalium alloy spokes. The entirely new set of wheels were in within 8 weeks, Fed Exed from England, and Wheel Enhancement switched them out at their cost, since Bill at that time was partnered with them.

Talk about customer service and warranty!! All parties involved were professional in dealing with the issue. At the time the wheels were replaced, Dymag was probably in financial problems. I don't know how many wheels Dymag had to replace under warranty, but obviously, it did not help matters for them and contributed to their folding.

Long live Dymag!!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Since Dymag are no longer in business those of us who have these unique and exotic wheels need to keep them in prime condition.
Refurbishment is not that simple requiring a special tool to be made for dismatling them then the correct materials for carrying out the refurb followed by (I am told) plenty of elbow grease to prepare the CF.
Jasmine who have a big sponsor banner at the top carried out the work and the results are below - tell 'em I sent you

Who is Jasmine ?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

i'm kind of surprised that this group of all groups would be so tolerant of wheels that require such upkeep.

my thing is, if even those wizards in F1 still haven't applied this type of tech in their super racers, who's got the deep multinat corporate pockets to create a viable street product?

not casting aspersion here, just thinking out loud because they're awfully expensive new, require significant upkeep, with no company backing since they do not exist any more, and imho, not particularly good looking.

the idea is undoubtedly cool, but just doesn't sound at all like it's ready for primetime just yet.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

I hear what you're saying but I've had the opportunity to use the Dymags on the track, and I can say that they're a game changer. The irony (at least for me) is that the problems with the wheels had nothing to do with the CF barrel, but rather the magnesium center piece. I've also cracked 2 x Fikse center pieces in the past year so that sort of failure from hard use is not uncommon for light wheels - CF barrels otherwise. It's too bad Dymag went under, but I think there is something to the concept. Pity they couldn't balance the technical and commercial demands of the business. I understand somebody is trying to resurrect the motorcycle side of the Dymag business. Would be great if the auto side of their business got rescued as well.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Marcus Frost
AutoX

Beautiful car Toby, but I have to agree that such upkeep for your wheels require a special type of enthusiasm. I can appreciate the technology behind them, but they are quite "high maintenance".

Quick Reply: Dymag refurbishment