Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Aftermarket Ceramic Rotors (PCCB Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone done up a "real" spreadsheet of operating costs on brakes, pads and tires, etc.?
I just scribbled this one together. It makes all kinds of loose assumptions of course, but it tries to consider the real cost of brakes given rotor lifespan. Obviously in favor of any product with claims of longer life. Given the approximate numbers, it suggests some interesting costs.
For example, if "brakes" cost $5 per lap, let's say that's about the same as fuel per lap. Very round numbers. Which cost will double or triple in the next two years? : )

I think this draws the inescapably logical conclusion that the only reasonable course of action is to reduce fuel costs per lap. It becomes a matter of simple budget and fiscal responsibility to look for the most fuel efficient track car. Therefore, it is simply logical to buy the 918.
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Don't waste your money, go with a proven race system (Stoptech STR or Brembo GTR) with steel rotors, they can be as light as the stock PCCB system, but cheaper to get at first, and cheaper on the long run.

Normal people:
Street and light track use keep oem whatever you have, spend money on much more urgent matters.
Track only forget PCCB and buy a race proven steel system. The cheapest you can find.

Mad money people or perfectionists and big spenders:
Buy the most outrageous kit available regardless of the use and then post here for us to see

John
Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Has anyone done up a "real" spreadsheet of operating costs on brakes, pads and tires, etc.?
I just scribbled this one together. It makes all kinds of loose assumptions of course, but it tries to consider the real cost of brakes given rotor lifespan. Obviously in favor of any product with claims of longer life. Given the approximate numbers, it suggests some interesting costs.
For example, if "brakes" cost $5 per lap, let's say that's about the same as fuel per lap. Very round numbers. Which cost will double or triple in the next two years? : )

I think this draws the inescapably logical conclusion that the only reasonable course of action is to reduce fuel costs per lap. It becomes a matter of simple budget and fiscal responsibility to look for the most fuel efficient track car. Therefore, it is simply logical to buy the 918.
Why you tilted the 18? I cant read I am getting dizzy repost please

John
Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the spreadsheet !!

I use the DE session duration X # of sessions. On a typical East Coast and West Coast track day (PCA, Speed Ventures, BMWCCA, etc), I get 4 sessions of 20 minutes average, or 80 minutes of track time.

With DE use, that could be 50 track days at Laguna Seca for PCCB. At 5 track days per year, stock PCCB rotors should be good for 10 years. However, once we start dealing with long track time (some clubs run up to 4 hours of track time or 240 minutes), the same stock PCCB would barely last 10 days, and if we are running that many events per year or more, PCCB can be very expensive.

I like the MovIT rotors re-using the stock Porsche hats and fasteners, but I like the Brembo GTR and Stoptech STR much more (more efficient, consistent, and cheaper).

Here is some more information on MovIt ceramic brakes from RBM (Bob) at f-chat from January 2010:

"I am collecting wear data on Movit CER (carbon ceramic) brakes for the Manufacturer (Movit). Here's an excerpt I thought may be of interest on this thread:

"I finally had to change the first set of front Sport pads on the CER rotors. Here’s the data:

New pad thickness = 10mm

Use = 19 track days; 2644.8 miles
(Texas World Speedway, 2.9 miles, average = 4x 24-minute track sessions per day, 12 laps per session, 139.2 miles per day)

Thickness remaining on worn Sport pads:
Rear
Right Rear Inner = 7-8mm*
Right Rear Outer = 8-8.5mm*
Left Rear Inner = 8mm
Left Rear Outer = 8-9mm*

Front
Right Front Inner = 5-6mm*
Right Front Outer = 5-6mm*
Left Front Inner = 5-6mm*
Left Front Outer = 6-7mm*

*pads were tapered at leading edge

No measurable wear on rotors.
I replaced the front pads. I anticipate another 2500 miles of track use from the rear pads. Front Sport pad wear has been significantly better than PCCB pad, which averaged 6 track days per set "

CER rotors are 350mm x 34mm front; 350mm x 28mm rear. Car is 3500 pounds (Porsche 996 Turbo, full wet w/driver). CER rotors are made from same carbon-ceramic material as Ferrari and Porsche PCCB rotors; Panox from Carbon SGL in Germany. But the construction method is different; hence the better wear characteristics."
Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Love the spreadsheet !!

I use the DE session duration X # of sessions. On a typical East Coast and West Coast track day (PCA, Speed Ventures, BMWCCA, etc), I get 4 sessions of 20 minutes average, or 80 minutes of track time.

With DE use, that could be 50 track days at Laguna Seca for PCCB. At 5 track days per year, stock PCCB rotors should be good for 10 years. However, once we start dealing with long track time (some clubs run up to 4 hours of track time or 240 minutes), the same stock PCCB would barely last 10 days, and if we are running that many events per year or more, PCCB can be very expensive.

I like the MovIT rotors re-using the stock Porsche hats and fasteners, but I like the Brembo GTR and Stoptech STR much more (more efficient, consistent, and cheaper).

Here is some more information on MovIt ceramic brakes from RBM (Bob) at f-chat from January 2010:

"I am collecting wear data on Movit CER (carbon ceramic) brakes for the Manufacturer (Movit). Here's an excerpt I thought may be of interest on this thread:

"I finally had to change the first set of front Sport pads on the CER rotors. Here’s the data:

New pad thickness = 10mm

Use = 19 track days; 2644.8 miles
(Texas World Speedway, 2.9 miles, average = 4x 24-minute track sessions per day, 12 laps per session, 139.2 miles per day)

Thickness remaining on worn Sport pads:
Rear
Right Rear Inner = 7-8mm*
Right Rear Outer = 8-8.5mm*
Left Rear Inner = 8mm
Left Rear Outer = 8-9mm*

Front
Right Front Inner = 5-6mm*
Right Front Outer = 5-6mm*
Left Front Inner = 5-6mm*
Left Front Outer = 6-7mm*

*pads were tapered at leading edge

No measurable wear on rotors.
I replaced the front pads. I anticipate another 2500 miles of track use from the rear pads. Front Sport pad wear has been significantly better than PCCB pad, which averaged 6 track days per set "

CER rotors are 350mm x 34mm front; 350mm x 28mm rear. Car is 3500 pounds (Porsche 996 Turbo, full wet w/driver). CER rotors are made from same carbon-ceramic material as Ferrari and Porsche PCCB rotors; Panox from Carbon SGL in Germany. But the construction method is different; hence the better wear characteristics."
That sounds like the Movit "Gen 1" or "Gen 2" product. Aside from the 380 and 396 sizes, the Gen 3 rotor composition and pad material are claimed to be much more durable.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a chance to talk to Bob a time or two as he has been hammering the Movit brakes at TWS. Last time we spoke (a year ago), we discussed the life difference between the Porsche and Movit CCB systems. If you look at your Porsche rotors from the side, you can see that there is a (literally) paper thin braking surface laminated on the structural substrate. That is why they are delicate, and can be ruined easily - if you wear or knock a hole through the braking layer, the rotor starts to degrade rapidly, because the thick structural layer does not work well as a friction surface.

The Movit rotor is a monolithic, single material. If you wear it down, the material below the surface is the same as the surface. This should provide ridiculously long life (approaching the life of the car, even with track use). It was thought that you could even fix an uneven face (if you wore through the pad or caught a rock) by grinding it smooth again.

Before you rush to spend $25k, please keep in mind that this is my recollection of a trackside conversation. You might want to verify the facts.....
Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone has a movit question that is not being answered feel free to PM me...I can contact the owners.
Cheers
Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by LA964RS
If anyone has a movit question that is not being answered feel free to PM me...I can contact the owners.
Cheers
What's their Rennlist discount? (please don't reply if less than 25%)

Notwithstanding the above, do they make a kit for 993's? : )
Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I have no idea what their rennlist discount is as I don't work for them....I don't think they are very well situated in US yet. Quite popular in Europe though and their bits are quite impressive as I have seen them first hand. An extremely reliable and trusted source said he preferred the movit to the stock ceramic Porsche bits.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LA964RS
I have no idea what their rennlist discount is as I don't work for them....I don't think they are very well situated in US yet. Quite popular in Europe though and their bits are quite impressive as I have seen them first hand. An extremely reliable and trusted source said he preferred the movit to the stock ceramic Porsche bits.
Right. Well. If you want to ask the owners about 993 applications, that would be interesting. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 AM
_rocket
Racer

AFAIK, Movit ceramic rotors are manufactured by ST Systems in the UK.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by _rocket
AFAIK, Movit ceramic rotors are manufactured by ST Systems in the UK.
Did you mean by chance Surface Transforms? http://www.surface-transforms.com/

That is who MovIt liscensed the rotor manfacturing technology from is my understanding.

This is likely the link you intended: http://www.systemst.com/

Here is a neat little .swf movie from the site: http://www.systemst.com/flash/Carbon...vs-Ceramic.swf

System ST appears to be a competitor company to MovIt and also uses the CSC rotors from Surface Transforms. SystemST also links on it's site to MovIt which is a bit perplexing.

Cheers-
Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy

That is who MovIt liscensed the rotor manfacturing technology from is my understanding.

Here is a neat little .swf movie from the site: http://www.systemst.com/flash/Carbon...vs-Ceramic.swf

System ST appears to be a competitor company to MovIt and also uses the CSC rotors from Surface Transforms. SystemST also links on it's site to MovIt which is a bit perplexing.

Cheers-
Amazing stuff out there. Imagine dropping off the Koenigsegg for a "brake job" at the local dealer ... yikes!

ps. Savvy -- You are hereby appointed to the honorable position of Hey Wait for Me Racing "Chief Executive Researcher"
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Amazing stuff out there. Imagine dropping off the Koenigsegg for a "brake job" at the local dealer ... yikes!

ps. Savvy -- You are hereby appointed to the honorable position of Hey Wait for Me Racing "Chief Executive Researcher"
Hehe...I saw that pic too and though, ummmm.

I love to explore the possibilities!

Wow! I accept your appointment with enthusiasm. This is my very first appointment ever and it is very exciting
Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 AM
_rocket
Racer

Originally Posted by savyboy

Whoops. Yes, you're right I meant Surface Transforms.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Ceramic Rotors (PCCB Replacement)