Next GT3 Specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next GT3 Specs

Hi Guys,
Just reading a thread re PDK vs manual shifts. Interesting that quite a few people are saying that PDK is quicker than manual box on track.
With this in mind, since the current GT3 engine cannot be mated to the PDK, do you think the next gen GT3 will go to the new DFI engine?????
I know the DFI has less parts and is more efficient. Maybe Porsche will use this engine in the 991 series GT3.
Food for thought

Krash
Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

it will be a first if we see the road gt3 with new engine before the engine goes to the track in the cups. but with vw on the wheel anything goes. they love cost efficiency.
and also the pdk will they race it or keep the seq.?
but i cant even imagine selling to us a dfi gt3 with pdk and racing the gt1 block, this will be the end of the gt3 as we know it.
one thing for sure is, the typical output increase of around +30hp/nm on the next gt3.

John
Old 07-30-2010, 01:03 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,
What you say is true. However i'm just wondering, since the cup cars are sequential, will they introduce similar setup for the street? I drive a 997 cup, and I can tell you that there is no way you could drive a sequential on the street. It is way too violent for street.
So this has got me thinking if Porsche will go the PDK way.
Are they developing a new DFI motor for racing????

Regards

Krash
Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

There's a lot to be said about the feelin of a perfect shift on a manual-6, but from first hand experience your yester-year mechanical shifters are already noticeably faster on track. Dual-clutches are in a different league when it come to seamlessness--it is really a continuous wall of torque on the upshift--10 laps on a twisty track in a DFI Turbo w/ PDK last month practically left my jaws in the footwell!

Then again, I'm sloppy with my heel-n-toe and have been "working" on better weight transfers for years. A PDK GT3 will appeal to a leadfoot like me...

p.s. I just made my 100th post!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:20 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly, the 6-speed manul gearbox is one of the major reasons I chose the GT3.

The GT3's engine and gearbox are such a wonderful mate, and is an unique & enjoyable sensation to drive.

If I were want to flip a paddle and let the computer shifts perfectly for me, I wouldn't have chosen the GT3 in the beginning. In fact, as soon as Porsche stops offering the manual gearbox in the GT3, I will start shopping for other alternatives.

Regards,
Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

I'd always prefer a manual for the street but there's no question the PDK and similar are faster round a track. See article p91 in June Excellence as an example. With the competition constantly raising the bar Porsche will likely be forced to at least offer the option for those more focused on pure lap times. Personally, I think a great compromise would be the clutch-operated sequential shifter offered by Cargraphics. My understanding is that Porsche has tested this set-up as a potential alternative.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I'd always prefer a manual for the street but there's no question the PDK and similar are faster round a track.
I think it will be time to speak 'PDK' and 'track' together when porsche will replace manual sequential tranny in a cup car with PDK. or at least will offer it as an option. for quite some reason it ain`t happening despite all the great PDK reviews. plus some people in 997.2 cars report about pdk overheating on a track.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd always prefer a manual for the street but there's no question the PDK and similar are faster round a track. See article p91 in June Excellence as an example. With the competition constantly raising the bar Porsche will likely be forced to at least offer the option for those more focused on pure lap times. Personally, I think a great compromise would be the clutch-operated sequential shifter offered by Cargraphics. My understanding is that Porsche has tested this set-up as a potential alternative.

DanH a member here recently told me that Andreas Preuninger had same setup (oakley, cargraphic etc) on a test car but Porsche decided not to offer it for same reasons.
btw originally and for some time Porsche had bought the copyright for it.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

PHP Code:
Franklythe 6-speed manul gearbox is one of the major reasons I chose the GT3.

The GT3's engine and gearbox are such a wonderful mate, and is an unique & enjoyable sensation to drive.

If I were want to flip a paddle and let the computer shifts perfectly for me, I wouldn'
t have chosen the GT3 in the beginningIn fact, as soon as Porsche stops offering the manual gearbox in the GT3I will start shopping for other alternatives
This is exactly why have chosen the 2011 GT3 and placed my order for one a month ago. Delivery in December and can't wait.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I think it will be time to speak 'PDK' and 'track' together when porsche will replace manual sequential tranny in a cup car with PDK. or at least will offer it as an option. for quite some reason it ain`t happening despite all the great PDK reviews. plus some people in 997.2 cars report about pdk overheating on a track.
I would expect them to stay with sequential regardless of what happens with PDK. Perhaps the Supercup would. One of the reasons it not(of many I am sure) the current builder of the PDK limits the RPM to 8,000.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:05 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

And what about the weight how much it would add to the next GT3 over the current manual?

John
Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Originally Posted by roberga
I would expect them to stay with sequential regardless of what happens with PDK. Perhaps the Supercup would. One of the reasons it not(of many I am sure) the current builder of the PDK limits the RPM to 8,000.
Bear in mind that the development and first successful application of PDK was on the 956 used at Le Mans in 1983. In my view that renders all the arguments against using PDK for HP/durability limitations as somewhat specious, especially now that Ferrari is using it on higher RPM/HP cars like the 458.

I suspect the decision, as always with Porsche, is cost vs benefit, not technological limitations.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I love the current GT3 street maunal gearbox, however in order to go faster it is time to go paddle shift like that of the ferrari.

when porsche develops a GT3 with a clutchless no lift shift im placing my order to replace my current RS as my next track/competition toy.

until then, im enjoying the 60's technology
Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Bear in mind that the development and first successful application of PDK was on the 956 used at Le Mans in 1983. In my view that renders all the arguments against using PDK for HP/durability limitations as somewhat specious, especially now that Ferrari is using it on higher RPM/HP cars like the 458.

I suspect the decision, as always with Porsche, is cost vs benefit, not technological limitations.
Porsche first tested in a prototype 956 but it was audi and Walter Rohrl who developed and raced it source "Walter Rohrl Diary: Memories of a World Champion
by Waiter Rohrl" http://www.urquattro.fr/Web/Pages/Jo...gers/JE08.html

John
Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I love the 6 spd manual. But sequential/pdk is the future.
The clutch pedal in cup car should b eliminated. Flat up/down shift. When that comes I shall rob a bank and spring for one.

Quick Reply: Next GT3 Specs