Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

new replacement for ps2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 PM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question; I understand that N rating not available yet. Does that mean that its best not to put those new supersports on a 997tt yet? Will the N rated ones coming in 2011 going to be much different than the ones available now for porsches?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by GT
Quick question; I understand that N rating not available yet. Does that mean that its best not to put those new supersports on a 997tt yet? Will the N rated ones coming in 2011 going to be much different than the ones available now for porsches?
If Michelin are to be believed and I believe their pilots work very closely with the Porsche drivers and suspension engineers, then the N spec tyres are significant different than their counterparts especially for the TT cars ...

It won't be dangerous, but the N spec will handle better than the non homologation tires ...

If you can wait, wait, if not try them anyway ... And await the N specs

Sorry to be less an unequivocal on this...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
It won't be dangerous, but the N spec will handle better than the non homologation tires ...
Could someone please explain why? I just don't get it
Old 12-01-2010, 10:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
PAG has always stated that the N-spec version is always different from the generic version. Some people deride that as a marketing ploy. I actually think it is not, and it truly reflects a tire design that was optimized between Weissach and Michelin.

As Larry said the difference may not be a big one but why not not get the N-rating? At TireRack I noticed that often the N-rated tire is slightly cheaper than the generic one, and it is never significantly more expensive. Now there are tires that do not have the N-rating and people swear by. It does not mean they are bad, of course, just that they were not considered by Weissach.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Simple Michelin tire engineers and test drivers get together with Porsche suspension engineers and test drivers and tune the tires construction to optimize it for the 911 ... They might play with the stiffness of the sidewall, or play with the composition of the rubber to change the grip to account for the rear weight bias of the car ...

It's really no different than playing with other components of either your suspension, the geometry, or braking system bias etc ...its just a little harder since you are playing with the construction and nature of the tire ...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
PAG has always stated that the N-spec version is always different from the generic version. Some people deride that as a marketing ploy. I actually think it is not, and it truly reflects a tire design that was optimized between Weissach and Michelin.

As Larry said the difference may not be a big one but why not not get the N-rating? At TireRack I noticed that often the N-rated tire is slightly cheaper than the generic one, and it is never significantly more expensive. Now there are tires that do not have the N-rating and people swear by. It does not mean they are bad, of course, just that they were not considered by Weissach.
That's certainly what the Michelin test pilot says; Porsche works very closely with michelin drivers and tire engineers to tune the tire completion for the suspension system of the 911 and the sort of handling they want from the car... The non N spec has none of that R&D in it ...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
... They might play with the stiffness of the sidewall, or play with the composition of the rubber to change the grip to account for the rear weight bias of the car ...
Certainly the main consideration. And tires are an integral part of the suspension "system". But simply calling it N-spec tends to trivialize the difference IMHO.

It would be nice if tire manufacturers spelled out the differences instead of effusively saying "optimized" for Porsche or some other platitudes.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 PM
GT
Instructor

Ok so given the above information (thanks to all btw!) I have the following question that I don't get; if the N rated michelins will be better than the non N rated for porsches, then how come michelin did those comparison tests against competition incl GT3, C2S and TT using the non N rated tires? I read a full comp review that said that the porsches behave really well with those non N tires..
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
GT
Instructor

Ok so given the above information (thanks to all btw!) I have the following question that I don't get; if the N rated michelins will be better than the non N rated for porsches, then how come michelin did those comparison tests against competition incl GT3, C2S and TT using the non N rated tires? I read a full comp review that said that the porsches behave really well with those non N tires..
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well the new Toyo Proxes 1s are out and in stock apparently, I am going to pick up a set this weekend and give them a shot.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-1

Quick Reply: new replacement for ps2