Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Crossing 8' at the Ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:35 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossing 8' at the Ring

Call me slow, but it took me a little more than 200 laps to crack the 8 minutes threshold at the Ring. Fastest lap in 7'53" thus far with Sean-Paul Breslin as coach on board.

And we're obviously talking Bridge-To-Gantry, so add another 25 secs to translate into common Nordschleife marketing speak and trivialized manufacturer claims. So I am still a good 35-40 seconds slower than a reference time from Mr R or Von Saurma that I'll never come close to. The good news is that I still have a few seasons where I'll be able to measure progress in seconds.
And I am still running Corsa Systems so there's probably a few secs in the tires too.

Enjoy the videos ...with or without A-pilar !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lo2kCFElMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubYIgCT3lZ8

... and a few pretty pictures on location from a prior visit:

Old 07-19-2010, 05:59 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

awesome! congrats!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Very inspiring.. I can only dream of getting 200 laps on the Ring!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Tango635
Racer

200 laps at the 'ring, not too many folks can even say that!! Very cool!!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations on 200 laps and getting under 8 B2G. I've had several friends comment that it requires respectable levels of skill and bravery.
From the video, I can't comment on the driving to any useful degree but I'd suggest you consider a roll bar and harnesses to save your neck (along with a HANS device) and a real seat with harnesses so you've in the car, not bouncing around on top of a leather cushion. : )
Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

Thanks to all ! I think that going fast early on the Ring requires a lot of bravery and tons of skills, and I have neither.
Taking one's time, investing in proper education and lettings times drop naturally builds on knowledge of terrain more than anything else. Still, today, I still have to remind myself not to brake or not to lift on certain stretches while my instincts tell me otherwise. Folks who have thousands of laps and stopped counting say that 200 is a new beginning ...

Roll cage, harness and seats have been on my list for a while, both for safety and comfort, but US GT3s (I bought my car in the Bay Area while living there) are just too cumbersome to convert. No mounting plates for the clubsport cage, fit issues with the sunroof, it all looked like an expensive project for a compromised result. Came close to buying an mkII, but the trade-in value for my car was just too laughable. It aches to pay list in Europe after you've tasted US MSRP.

I'll be back up there on 08/16 for an open pitlane day with Manthey Racing and a long to-do list of things to try and improve.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Sounds Awesome Well done!!

I would suggest sticking to a limit that you are comfortable with. Sure you can go faster, however this also means that you will get closer to the cars limit. At the end of the day, it's not a race so therefore it's better to remain safe.

The only points that I noticed where you can make up time is Brake harder and deeper and stay on the throttle longer. Both take big you know whats....

Good luck with your next days out there.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ze_shark
Thanks to all ! I think that going fast early on the Ring requires a lot of bravery and tons of skills, and I have neither.
Taking one's time, investing in proper education and lettings times drop naturally builds on knowledge of terrain more than anything else. Still, today, I still have to remind myself not to brake or not to lift on certain stretches while my instincts tell me otherwise. Folks who have thousands of laps and stopped counting say that 200 is a new beginning ...

Roll cage, harness and seats have been on my list for a while, both for safety and comfort, but US GT3s (I bought my car in the Bay Area while living there) are just too cumbersome to convert. No mounting plates for the clubsport cage, fit issues with the sunroof, it all looked like an expensive project for a compromised result. Came close to buying an mkII, but the trade-in value for my car was just too laughable. It aches to pay list in Europe after you've tasted US MSRP.

I'll be back up there on 08/16 for an open pitlane day with Manthey Racing and a long to-do list of things to try and improve.
Manthey has the procedure sorted out. I'm having my cage installed with their help. Maybe a call over to them can help get the ball rolling. i know they are pretty much fully booked up to their track day. i was hoping to come out for it, but looks like work is going to hurt the chances. you should come out for the bmw school in early august with a couple of us and double your laps in a weekend
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
ze_shark
Instructor

What is the format of the BMW school ? sectional training or open pitlane ? do they tolerate Porsches ?
Always interested in alternatives (pm if necessary), Manthey just changed their program to 10-17 instead of 8-17. At 800 € and change, it's a bummer.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

What is the format of the BMW school ? sectional training or open pitlane ? do they tolerate Porsches ?
Always interested in alternatives (pm if necessary), Manthey just changed their program to 10-17 instead of 8-17. At 800 € and change, it's a bummer.
3 days Aug 2-4. divided into 3 sections. i think entire last day is entire track.

register here:http://www.fahrerlehrgang.info/englisch_version.html

its 1450 including VAT so if you can get out of the tax its quite a deal for 3 full days.

non-bmw's are welcome. half the instructor staff and participants will be running porsches it seems. There will be at least 2 997.2 RS including mine.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

As Jim said, it's 3 days; as far as I know this year (8/2-4) the 1st day will be sectional lead follow, 2nd day will be a combination of full lap lead/follow and open lapping, 3rd day will be open lapping, graded laps, then open lapping again ...

I highly recommend it, I have been to the school about 6 times now and it never gets old (well ok, kesselchen to klostertal lead/follows do) ...

I also have about 300+ laps and agree that it takes (at least for me also) about a couple of hundred to get to the point where you can attack the 8min BtoG time with confidence (and a clear track!).

I know Sean Paul too ... he's a great driver and coach!

why not come along to the school this year ... there are still spaces I believe!

Porsche's welcome ...

my 1st year I stuck a BMW roundel on the hood/bonnet and an "M" badge on the back of my 1999 GT3 CS for grins ... told anyone who asked it was a factory mule for a new GT3M car!

If you dont make the school why not come along and meet up with Jim and I anyway ... always good to meet more rennlisters!

p.s
next time you are in the bay area ... grab a beer!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

Sound enticing. I have sent emails to the organizers to see if they still have room available.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Sound enticing. I have sent emails to the organizers to see if they still have room available.
they should do, and if you want english speaking you could request the N.A groups of which there are 2 currently.

hope to see you there

- Larry
Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

and asked if you can join the Neuhaus (former Porsche test driver) group...mostly Porsche cars (incl my brand new RS) and nice group (many from a german internet forum but also some english chaps).

hope to see you there.

another option is a session (instructed by Ring "Gods") in Sept 4-5(i think?)...organised by sportauto (German car magazine doing supertests which incl full ring lap times as a benchmark eg new RS 7:30).

Markus
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
YearOne
Racer

Congratulations and glad you are enjoying it.

This is my 15th ever lap, no training, no helmet and traffic on a public day, 8mins 6sec, I do race though and learn tracks very quickly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9jpKy7Its

Quick Reply: Crossing 8' at the Ring