Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 challenge Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
I was kidding. Though sweet at first, coolant's aftertaste is quite bitter.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mooty was in and out of the video, what kind of times do you run mooty
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Mooty did 1:59 on kuhmos over the top but on another day. Gglc was 1st day out. I think he did 2 with bypass on hoo hoos. Tony was there he did 1:57. Me thinks it will be 156 over the top and 154 bypass after a few track events. Mike
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by micahbones
Are most folks running water wetter, or still using coolant? Too many reports of blown coolant hose/fitting issues and subsequent offs/spins to justify keeping real coolant in a GT3 run on the track IMO.

Very easy "mod":

1. purchase water wetter & distilled water
2. drain coolant, store in secure leak proof container (clean up any spilled coolant, especially if you have pets)
3. fill with water + water wetter
4. take old coolant to recycling center
5. go have fun at the track : )
Good suggestion. Wonder if I shoould get the pre-mixed stuff instead. It's OK on our engine and water pump right?

Originally Posted by Serge944
I find that neighborhood cats are a good way of disposing used coolant. They love that stuff!
Chairman meow is the only person I would share the coolant with ... they are kind of bitter but makes you forget how wonderful capitalism can be

Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Looks like a good fun track!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
micahbones
Racer

Originally Posted by mikymu
Good suggestion. Wonder if I shoould get the pre-mixed stuff instead. It's OK on our engine and water pump right?
Never used the pre-mixed, but it looks just as good provided that it fits the GT3 cooling system capacity. I would buy 2 bottles just in case...

As for water pump, I have never seen issues among folks using it. To the extent that advertised claims can be believed (in my experience it is indeed more effective than antifreeze in terms of cooling ability), I also do not see potential problems resulting:

-Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
-Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
-Cleans and lubricates water pump seals

And even if it does adversely impact water pump life, the cost of replacing a water pump is much less than repairing bent body/suspension parts from an off or car-car contact resulting from coolant on the track surface. : )
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just remember to take either product out and replace with appropriate coolant/anti-freeze in the winter as indicated and or if transporting over mountainous wintery regions, to pull case plugs as indicated.

a small but potentially expen$ive thing to forget about
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

^ i am in CA. what is "winter", how do i know winter is here?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:41 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by micahbones
Never used the pre-mixed, but it looks just as good provided that it fits the GT3 cooling system capacity. I would buy 2 bottles just in case...

As for water pump, I have never seen issues among folks using it. To the extent that advertised claims can be believed (in my experience it is indeed more effective than antifreeze in terms of cooling ability), I also do not see potential problems resulting:

-Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
-Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
-Cleans and lubricates water pump seals

And even if it does adversely impact water pump life, the cost of replacing a water pump is much less than repairing bent body/suspension parts from an off or car-car contact resulting from coolant on the track surface. : )
Very true .. only if every car on the track use the same stuff instead of coolant

Originally Posted by leif997
just remember to take either product out and replace with appropriate coolant/anti-freeze in the winter as indicated and or if transporting over mountainous wintery regions, to pull case plugs as indicated.

a small but potentially expen$ive thing to forget about
Global warming started in Califonia ... we OK here

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i am in CA. what is "winter", how do i know winter is here?
What do you mean? It is freaking winter everyday at San Francisco. I froze my skinny *** off everyday when I lived there briefly and quickly moved away
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM
micahbones
Racer

Originally Posted by mikymu

Originally Posted by mooty
Global warming started in Califonia ... we OK here
What do you mean? It is freaking winter everyday at San Francisco. I froze my skinny *** off everyday when I lived there briefly and quickly moved away
I just moved to the SF Bay area from Colorado...y'all have no idea what a real winter is. : )
Old 07-24-2010, 05:26 AM
irysfan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice vid, it turned out great and interesting to watch. Thanks for sharing. Glad that you survived the "incidents" unscathed. I noticed that you drove back across the track after the spin and back on again with a few cars passing by at speed. Somehow that reminded me of a pedestrian crossing the highway

Quick Reply: GT3 challenge Thunderhill