Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

failure of rear caliper bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

All,

I have the new pads in, but I have not torqued the new caliper bolts yet. An earlier post asked if the OP used loctite on the caliper bolts? Should I use, and if so, what color / type? Red requires heating to remove? Wouldn't the normal heat from the brakes run the risk of heating the loctite up to that temp?

As always, thanks.

Thanks,
Allen
Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

no loktite, clean threads and 63 ft/lbs.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
no loktite, clean threads and 63 ft/lbs.
Agreed. In those conditions, loctite would be only useful if the dealer service manager could show me the page in the service doc instructions calling for its use.

By the way, I had the dealer replace my pads with greens for the cost of the bolts and an hour of labor as a "good customer" charge. And this way, as I explained to them in lucid detail, if there's any problem with those rear wheel carriers or bolts or threads, there's no opportunity for Mr Porsche to explain how my driving indemnifies them from warranty.

While I'd never normally pay for someone to work on my brakes, in this special case, I think anyone with the budget to have a 997.x GT3 on the track should look at this as an insurance policy. Pathetic to need this kind of nonsense, but there it is.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Terry L;7741992]"Last week, I pulled off of the track at the end of two days at Summit Point, stopped at pit in, and found that the car wouldn't move. The top caliper bolt on the right rear caliper had pulled out - you can still see the aluminum from the threads in the upright contained in the threads of the bolt - and the caliper had tilted forward, bending the bottom caliper bolt, until it started to contact the wheel."

My turn - went to change rotors yesterday in prep for the Glen - the threads came out with 2 of the bolts. Spoke to Bill Dougherty, he said including Terry's they've had 3 cars in last month with this issue. My local shop, Speedsport, run by Spencer *** said happens "all the time" to track cars where calipers are frequently removed to change rotors or pads. Not necessarily related to over torquing or reusing bolts - the design just isn't up to frequent bolt removal. Seems all agree the solution is Timeserts M12x1.5 long (24mm). HPR (cheaper) or Wurth in Ramsey NJ stock the inserts and installation kits. Wurth is as close to me as Speedsport so I will probably go pick up a kit and long inserts and DIY, or at least have kit and inserts as back up if I have another bolt fail at track (hopefully during a rotor change not during use like Terry).

Last edited by obsessedone; 07-28-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Why not studs?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Why not studs?
No disrespect to your stud approach. Timeserts recommended by 2 shops I spoke to, I was in a rush and able to source the timeserts quickly
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Is this failure inevitable then? I mean is this happening on most of the cars that see the track and have frequent pad changes? And if the failure is during warranty, surely it is covered...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

If you track the car; Yes it will happen and no it's not warranty.

Time serts or studs are going to be in your future, you might as well get it done before you strip out an upright bad enough that it needs to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Why not studs?
we need part numbers
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Can one of you guys give the sizes for the Time Serts and the sizes needed then? Oh and where to buy? And you recommend this as a preventitive measure?

Last edited by scott40; 07-28-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will be interesting how this develops over the next year or so.
Customers report trouble with this - not sure about this design nor am I sure of a good way to alleviate the troubles.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Martin_D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Agreed. In those conditions, loctite would be only useful if the dealer service manager could show me the page in the service doc instructions calling for its use.

By the way, I had the dealer replace my pads with greens for the cost of the bolts and an hour of labor as a "good customer" charge. And this way, as I explained to them in lucid detail, if there's any problem with those rear wheel carriers or bolts or threads, there's no opportunity for Mr Porsche to explain how my driving indemnifies them from warranty.

While I'd never normally pay for someone to work on my brakes, in this special case, I think anyone with the budget to have a 997.x GT3 on the track should look at this as an insurance policy. Pathetic to need this kind of nonsense, but there it is.
I have to admit I did the same for the exact same reason. You are lucky to have the "good customer" charge
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scott40
Can one of you guys give the sizes for the Time Serts and the sizes needed then? Oh and where to buy? And you recommend this as a preventitive measure?
As mentioned above "Seems all agree the solution is Timeserts M12x1.5 long (24mm). HPR (cheaper) or Wurth in Ramsey NJ stock the inserts and installation kits. Inserts are only $2 each - installation kit is $85 at Hoerr/HPR & $155 at Wurth so if planning ahead and have time for shipping use HPR/Hoerr Racing. Installation kit comes with 5 short inserts which are ok in an emergency but should get the longer inserts. Timesert site has good installation videos. One suggestion from local shop was drill out old threads with a wrench on drill bit not a power drill - takes a bit longer but easier to ensure you follow the hole straight - was still quick in the relatively soft aluminum. Even if you follow this suggestion, use power drill for drilling the recess in step 2 - that is not quick without power drill. Shop also suggests thin coat of blue Loctite on outside threads of insert - probably not necessary but did it.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 214 Posts

If you track the car; Yes it will happen and no it's not warranty.

Time serts or studs are going to be in your future, you might as well get it done before you strip out an upright bad enough that it needs to be replaced.
I'm curious as to why this would not be a warranty item. Does PCNA claim that the caliper or carrier are normal wear items?

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Will be interesting how this develops over the next year or so.
Customers report trouble with this - not sure about this design nor am I sure of a good way to alleviate the troubles.
Given the safety aspect of this issue, I'm a bit surprised that Porsche isn't stepping up to the plate with at least a recommended fix.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessedone
As mentioned above "Seems all agree the solution is Timeserts M12x1.5 long (24mm). HPR (cheaper) or Wurth in Ramsey NJ stock the inserts and installation kits. Inserts are only $2 each - installation kit is $85 at Hoerr/HPR & $155 at Wurth so if planning ahead and have time for shipping use HPR/Hoerr Racing. Installation kit comes with 5 short inserts which are ok in an emergency but should get the longer inserts. Timesert site has good installation videos. One suggestion from local shop was drill out old threads with a wrench on drill bit not a power drill - takes a bit longer but easier to ensure you follow the hole straight - was still quick in the relatively soft aluminum. Even if you follow this suggestion, use power drill for drilling the recess in step 2 - that is not quick without power drill. Shop also suggests thin coat of blue Loctite on outside threads of insert - probably not necessary but did it.
Did you do all four holes as a preventive measure? Was it doable as a DIY?

Quick Reply: failure of rear caliper bolt