Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: Porsche and MB Museums in Stuttgart

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default OT: Porsche and MB Museums in Stuttgart

Anyone taken tours to these museums? How much time in advance do you need to purchase your tickets? How long to see each one - need to plan my trip? Any really nice hotels in the area? Where can I rent a Porsche in Munich/Stuttgart? thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I have visited the new Porsche museum twice now ... you can buy tickets at the door 8 euro, I also recommend getting the english headset to enable you to listen to the details about the various cars. I dont know if you can buy tickets in advance or what happens when it is "full" ... sorry!

You might also look into taking the english speaking factory tour this you have to arrange before you go via e-mail, see here:

http://www.porsche.com/international...isitorservice/

I would stay in the center, there are a few nice hotels not far from the railway stn... Le Meridien is nice, as is Hotel Am Schlossgarten too ...

make sure your camera has a full charge, a separate flash might be of value if you want to get a great picture ... have lots of film or a large flash card.

I would allow 2 hours from start to finish with time to take in all the details ... lunch at christophorus is also recommended.

You can actually take the S-Bahn from the center of Stutgart to the Porsche Platz now ... very quick and convenient.

You should be able to rent a 911 from avis.de here: http://www.avis.de/Fahrzeuge/Prestige-Flotte

you need to be able to babelfish your wat through the german website ...

If you are in Munich I would also recommend you visit the BMW museum and welt ...

http://www.bmw-welt.com/web/portal/e...x_highend.html

enjoy!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

remember they aren't open on mondays though!

Hotel Am Schlossgarten right off konigstrasse is one of the hotels used for factory delivery clients. very nice.
www.hotelschlossgarten.com

use Avis.de DO NOT go through Avis in the US. they will somehow mess up your order and you will see a big fat S class merc instead of a C2S sitting there. carefully check the tires for feathering or any other signs of track use and point it out to the check out attendant. you don't want to have to fight them about damage you didn't cause. be careful if you decide to take it to the ring. they pay photographers to watch out for their cars. Also pick it up at a location outside of an airport if you can to avoid additional fees.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
remember they aren't open on mondays though!

Hotel Am Schlossgarten right off konigstrasse is one of the hotels used for factory delivery clients. very nice.
www.hotelschlossgarten.com

use Avis.de DO NOT go through Avis in the US. they will somehow mess up your order and you will see a big fat S class merc instead of a C2S sitting there. carefully check the tires for feathering or any other signs of track use and point it out to the check out attendant. you don't want to have to fight them about damage you didn't cause. be careful if you decide to take it to the ring. they pay photographers to watch out for their cars. Also pick it up at a location outside of an airport if you can to avoid additional fees.
good points!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot to both of you - very helpful.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:54 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

No problem. Here are some other ideas too.
If you can make it out there, the nurburgring has a great new museum and shopping center with some nice high end auto manufacturers represented. On most weekdays the GP track has public lapping sessions in the evening. If you go on a weekday, a tour of the Manthey Racing facility is a must as well. Also Hockenheim has public lapping sessions on one thursday per month. They haven't announced August yet but it will be posted on their site soon. Manthey has a private Porsche only trackday at the nurburgring on Aug 16th.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

When I went for European Delivery, we did not get through the MB museum in a whole day. At the time, we went through the P museum in about 20 minutes (it was the old one) , but I would imagine it would take you more than a day if you wanted to do it really well.

We planned to go back to the MB museum the day we dropped the car off, but with the engine all broken in and a week in France and Switzerland with speed limits, we decided the day was better spent on the autobahn.

I think everyone here would agree
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Hotel Am Schlossgarten is outstanding -- I stayed there with my family a few years ago (when visiting the factory) -- great location, fantastic food and the rooms were really nice.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

I hit both while I was there, but over the course of two days and during the week. Walked up to both museums and purchased my ticket w/o reservations.

Give yourself plenty of time for both, especially while at MB. Also, have plenty of space on your memory cards and spare batteries for your digi cam. I took over 350 pics in the Porsche museum alone. By the time I made it to the BMW museum, my camera gave up the ghost.

You are going to enjoy them both, but the Porsche Zentrum was my favorite.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:42 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I just came through the museum and factory tour on this past Thursday.

(1) The Nurburgring24 car driven by Chris Harris has newly arrived in the museum (in all its scratched up glory) - I will post a few iPhone pics in a separate thread.

(2) If they turn you down for the tour, don't give up - there are always some no-shows, so if you arrive at 9am and start asking (and hanging around the podium around 9:45), it is likely they will let you in when the tour starts at 10.

(3) Factory tours are only during weird days, like not Friday or Saturday - check ahead if this is important to you!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re

use Avis.de DO NOT go through Avis in the US. they will somehow mess up your order and you will see a big fat S class merc instead of a C2S sitting there. ...........
Very true for almost all car hire experiences barring a few. Although the few have been the more recent trips so perhaps systems/incentives for distinguishing car needs/Gold cards, etc. are finally all in alignment.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

199 Euros a day base before other charges is dirt frigen cheap! Even for a plane-jane 911 Carrera; non S/4/4S!!! I would be more than happy to pay that here in the States.

Doubt I could take one all the way to Hungary or Yugoslavia next time I have to consult there!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

it was only 249 for a C2S Cab. only thing was the 250km/day limit. at 99 cents per km over it gets expensive fast.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

We can rent a car and drive in Germany with a US license right?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+100! I keep that Avis.de link in my browser (http://www.avis.de/Fahrzeuge/Prestige-Flotte#Porsche) and open through Google Translate. It is a great site and now Avis DE rents 911s (Coupe or Cab), Cayennes, Caymans, Boxsters and even Panameras... The cost per day is inexpensive (199 Euro for 911s), but the expense per km outside the allotted mileage gets pricey.

I have rented 911s in Munich and Frankfurt (3 times past 2 years) and on average spend $1000 US per day. The good news is that it is the same price for a C2/C2S/C4/C4S.... Call in advance to the location once the reservation is made and "request" what you want... Otherwise, it will be random...

Best part is making a day tripd to the BMW, MB or Porsche museums... Great way to travel...

-Blake

Quick Reply: OT: Porsche and MB Museums in Stuttgart