Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

everyday GTR or M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

GTR has absolutely punishing ride quality. Go M3.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 PM
ac27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may not be in the same ball park as you are, but I seriously recommend an e46 M3 competition package. To make it into the car that you truly desire would require some slight modifications however I feel that its probably the most driver oriented everyday/track car available. The new M3 is great, however it lacks that rawness that the e46 had. The GTR is one serious machine, I have never driven it however from what I have seen and heard about it from friends and reviews all seems to be the same: a car with performance capabilities like a race car, however everyone has knocked it on being almost too easy to drive and too "computer" aided.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have the C63 AMG as my DD. Has been my daily driver for a year and a half. I still drive with a grin to and from work each day. Torque is about 450 ft/lbs. I think the torque in the m3 is around 300. Stock rear tires only last about 4000 miles.....and I don't do burnouts!

Tracked the car once at Sebring...my first DE.....same grin only larger. Brakes didn't fade but I didn't know about threshold braking then. Have been out in my friends 09 M3 at Sebring and the brakes faded in 2 laps. Don't get me wrong. I have owned many BMW's and the M3 would be a great DD but......that exhaust note and torque of the C63 make the MB my choice. Drive both and you will see/hear/feel the difference for yourself.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

I like my GT3 as a DD. But given the OP's choice, M3 all the way (but I'd look at C63 and RS5, too).

GTR to me is hideous inside & out.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 AM
U4IA187
Advanced

Even if IM not in my GT3, I still want to have that visceral component to driving (within legal limits of course, Im past my street racing days.) Everyones input has been helpful. Ive driven the M3, and truely enjoyed it. Ive never driven the GTR but I respect it since it has humbled me a couple times at sebring. Personally I need to FEEL the car to enjoy it.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2008 M3 DCT spent 2 years with it. Best DD ever. It does everything right and works great at the limits, reliable, all the amenities you need, space for 4, pretty, and still track capable. It crushes any other Sedan and a few sport cars on a track day if your GT3 is at the shop being serviced.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,121 Likes on 593 Posts

I like the balance and steering of M3's but not too much the brakes nor the pedal feel on any of the 3 pedals. I haven't driven the DCT yet but the SMG was god awful.

My old DD was a RS4...400+hp v8 (8000rpm) 6 speed with an AMAZING interior quality. and carbon fiber stuff! you can pick up a used one in the 30-40k range for an 07 IIRC. only downside was that for a DD fuel econ was rather low as the car is geared shortly and it's so fun to race around in! sounded awesome.

I've driven the GTR and would without hesitation drive one every day over a 997 gen 1 turbo. it's literally the fastest "dumbed down" car I've ever experienced. it's legit 100% although with 20'' wheels the ride quality on bad roads is low- but lets be honest guys...ride quality in anything but a lexus is crap on crap roads.

my new DD is a VW DSG gti. 200hp. about 30mpg highway. plaid seats, hard drive stereo. 25k! if you're gonna beat the crap out of a car, this is perfect as it's easier to park than anything and you can even let friends and girls drive it without worry. imagine your GF driving a GTR or an M3....now imagine her hitting a curb with the front air dam while trying to park.... OUCH.

GTi. save yourself a bunch of money, buy some gold coins or an additional track only car.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:18 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Was seriously thinking about getting an 135 with the M Package and double clutch flipper-flappers!
Funny you mentioned... I was in exactly the same boat a few months ago!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:51 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

just my opinion, but would you seriously spend that kind of coin for two cars with inevitable maintenance issues down the road?

If you're looking at Japanese - I like the Subaru STi (hachback yes, but you can beat the snot out of it and it's great as a daily)

If you want something with some show to it, get a used Aston Martin Vantage V8 - you can pick up an 07 for 70-80k easy and have a hell of a looker, great sound, and knowing that someone lost 70k on the car which you get to drive around for 1/2 that.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

It would be a hard choice for me between a couple of year old Vantage or new GTR..
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by U4IA187
Ok, I dont want this to be a GT3 vs the world thread. I love my GT3 and its the most fun Ive had ever on the track. It will always be more car than I could be driver.

But, as a second-ish daily car for town or a few short lap days, does anyone have experience with the M3 and/or GTR. My concern is that the GTR really isnt a driver intensive car. Personnaly, I love to drive and I love to drive hard, even if Im stuck in and around town. Im afraid a GTR would almost be a boring ride. Conversely the M3 which may be more engaging but still lacks alittle top end grunt.

Which would you prefer as another car to drive around everyday? Of course, understanding that the GT3 rules the roost...
Oh man can I help! I have had both so here are my views (this comes from a person who has raced bikes and knows exactly what your talking about).

M3 (I have had both E46 and E92). Fantastic engine. A comfy car. Inside functional. Turn all the gizmos off and the rear wheel drive is fun (had many a fun time fishtailing down the road...) I put michelin sport cup* tyres on and it transformed handling (and I drove in Blighty winter!!) But a car that is too compromised as old mans car, I always felt its full potential was wasted. CSL version should have come!!!!!!!!!!Steering feel not as direct as I liked and just lacked really good feedback. Brakes rubbish.

GTR.... well that is a totally different story. Fab, fab, fab flippin fab. As a second car for everyday use AND the occasional track bash, personally you could not want a better car. It's mental. Has a mechanical feel to it and sounds it too. Engine just mad and fast as you would want anything. Suspension settings great - soft for every day use excellent, sport mode briliant when you want to be the grand tourisomo racer. F1 paddle excellent. Can have four in the car and the boot is HUGE. Looks mega. Sound system awesome too plus good DVD player. I have raced Audi RS6, Lambo Galar LP 560, 911 turbos on track and NONE have come close. I had car set up in track geometry (as opposed to road use) and it is MUCH better for feel (but still room for improvement and NOTHING like GT3/RS but better than M3. Brakes excellent. Also, unbelievably, playing with distance steering wheel comes out from dash makes HUGE difference. I had it far out but recently moved it closer to dash and its made a huge difference to feel. In my HUMBLE opinion GTR is THREE times the car the M3 is. Better looking, better value, full of character and will whip it's tiny bottom (and most others too) - Ultimately I felt M3 a disappointment as to what it could be, the GTR a car that makes you feel is there any limit.... apart from me.... GET THE GTR and then come thank me
Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 PM
1198r
Pro

PS - I am getting a GT3 RS in Aug not because I don't like GTR, simply cause I can't afford both and for me, track feel is the ultimate. You are blessed having the ability to have two cars - make the most of your blessings and GET THE GTR BE BLESSED
Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

M3 sedan DCT. excellent companion for RS. hard part is having access to both at the same time.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like the OT enjoys lots of sensation from the car. In that case, checkout the 2011 Shelby GT500. You already have a German stud horse, so it can be fun to add an Amercian pony car to the stable.

Just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBK0PORlyBc
Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
PS - I am getting a GT3 RS in Aug not because I don't like GTR, simply cause I can't afford both and for me, track feel is the ultimate. You are blessed having the ability to have two cars - make the most of your blessings and GET THE GTR BE BLESSED

Wow, parallel experiences! Just sold my GTR too! I also really liked it and thought it was a great DD(over 600whp with just exhaust mods and tune all<$5k) but prefer the GT3RS's(also coming in August) more connected feel. Perhaps I should have sold my E90 M3 instead of the GTR. I may reverse that decision next year!

Quick Reply: everyday GTR or M3