Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

everyday GTR or M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:29 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NelsonF
Wow, parallel experiences! Just sold my GTR too! I also really liked it and thought it was a great DD(over 600whp with just exhaust mods and tune all<$5k) but prefer the GT3RS's(also coming in August) more connected feel. Perhaps I should have sold my E90 M3 instead of the GTR. I may reverse that decision next year!
WOW - some things are just weird. Gonna keep in touch with you my friend !

YOU MUST GET THE GTR again.... have you seen what COBB have done.... simply amazing
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 34 Posts

I had an M3 V8, now a GTR, and GTR is better on everything except stereo to my point!!

Performances are far better in the GTR and big torque is great on the road!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,366 Likes on 632 Posts

glad to see the GTR guys chiming in here. I love the car. I'd get one, but I've got 6 cars now and don't need 7
Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyea...rs_10/3_4.html

S65 motor in M3 just got engine of the year for 3.0L-4.0L
The 3.8 block in RS/GT3 placed second.
GTR got 3rd. I guess having all 3 would be the best option. cool how porsche also got 4-6.

I haven't driven any GTR's. Was smitten with the R34. Not sure I would dig all the help from the car, but the power must be addictive…probably good thing I haven't tried one. I picked the M3 because i could get it with 4 doors. I really don't see any other car on the market like it at this point. I really wish Audi would make a new RS4 Avant. I would be first in line to grab one.

Since I'm in germany, I actually am looking at getting a 1 hatchback for a commuter. I think the 123d would be pretty fun. lots of torque and 46MPG when pushing it hard!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Do you like attn? GTR

Do you like going supersonic fast? GTR

I'd take the GTR over M3 every day of the week especially if you're a younger guy, bachelor.
Nothing with a Nissan badge will get you into any panties..
Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,366 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
Nothing with a Nissan badge will get you into any panties..
they make asian panties now
Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

If you don't mind the upkeep expense get the GTR. On the other hand if you want something less expensive get a new Mustang GT. 412hp naturally aspirated, brembo brakes, 3.73 rear end can be had for about $25k. Performance bargain of the century. I had a Cobra R racecar and am seriously thinking about a new GT for the street.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
WOW - some things are just weird. Gonna keep in touch with you my friend !

YOU MUST GET THE GTR again.... have you seen what COBB have done.... simply amazing
Yup, amazing. I had the updated Cobb custom tune and it was just so tractable under all conditions. Mine never had any problems but guys are pushing 900hp and running 9's now. Fast spool turbos and the AW-traction provided killer off the line and out of corner accel/traction. It just didn't not have the top-end pull of some supercars-but that's rarely a problem. I wouldn't push it as far as others in terms of hp mods but want to see how these builds(tranny?) are holding up before jumping in again-amazing car for it's size and weight-and fairly pracitical too! Not a GT3 in terms of feel though.
My E90M3 is also a fun car with a very nice, hi-rev motor, w/DCT-just a little light on tq. 4dr version made it a bit more practical for the family- but again, that may change...

Last edited by NelsonF; 06-24-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

The list is weird, because it listed the 911 Turbo / Turbo S / GT2 as having the same engine (they don't), and list it as 3.6L (Turbo / Turbo S = 3.8L, while GT2 still runs the GT-1 block engine, which is 3.6L..)

Seems like a big mistake for someone who's voting on awards for engines.. no??

Originally Posted by carrering
http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyea...rs_10/3_4.html

S65 motor in M3 just got engine of the year for 3.0L-4.0L
The 3.8 block in RS/GT3 placed second.
GTR got 3rd. I guess having all 3 would be the best option. cool how porsche also got 4-6.

I haven't driven any GTR's. Was smitten with the R34. Not sure I would dig all the help from the car, but the power must be addictive…probably good thing I haven't tried one. I picked the M3 because i could get it with 4 doors. I really don't see any other car on the market like it at this point. I really wish Audi would make a new RS4 Avant. I would be first in line to grab one.

Since I'm in germany, I actually am looking at getting a 1 hatchback for a commuter. I think the 123d would be pretty fun. lots of torque and 46MPG when pushing it hard!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
U4IA187
Advanced

Originally Posted by brim
just my opinion, but would you seriously spend that kind of coin for two cars with inevitable maintenance issues down the road?

If you're looking at Japanese - I like the Subaru STi (hachback yes, but you can beat the snot out of it and it's great as a daily)

If you want something with some show to it, get a used Aston Martin Vantage V8 - you can pick up an 07 for 70-80k easy and have a hell of a looker, great sound, and knowing that someone lost 70k on the car which you get to drive around for 1/2 that.

I actually have an STI right now as well, and yes its a hatchbak. Great car, very responsive. My girlfriend hears the engine note and says its the only car she knows with hairy balzs.

Its probably gonna become a rally machine...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
U4IA187
Advanced

Originally Posted by 008
If you don't mind the upkeep expense get the GTR. On the other hand if you want something less expensive get a new Mustang GT. 412hp naturally aspirated, brembo brakes, 3.73 rear end can be had for about $25k. Performance bargain of the century. I had a Cobra R racecar and am seriously thinking about a new GT for the street.
You know thats a pretty good idea. I just rented a GT last week and enjoyed the ride. They improved the power and apparently the suspension has been significantly upgraded in the GT500. They cut 9 seconds from their VIR time. Not bad at all. I figured everyone would think Id lost it if I said I considered seriously a mustang when comparing it to a GTR and M3.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I went through this 2 years ago. I mean I WAS in EVERY forum, website and showroom.
the C63 was the winner here. The most room, a REAL back seat and trunk and blew the doors off
anything else.
I would see what Audi has but the AMG is hard to beat. Better tranny too.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
thinkingaboutaGT3
1st Gear

have an E46 M3 CS. simply a spectacular DD...that can scream when needed. The CS on the E46 makes a difference so look for it.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

M3
Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 PM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by NelsonF
Yup, amazing. I had the updated Cobb custom tune and it was just so tractable under all conditions. Mine never had any problems but guys are pushing 900hp and running 9's now. Fast spool turbos and the AW-traction provided killer off the line and out of corner accel/traction. It just didn't not have the top-end pull of some supercars-but that's rarely a problem. I wouldn't push it as far as others in terms of hp mods but want to see how these builds(tranny?) are holding up before jumping in again-amazing car for it's size and weight-and fairly pracitical too! Not a GT3 in terms of feel though.
My E90M3 is also a fun car with a very nice, hi-rev motor, w/DCT-just a little light on tq. 4dr version made it a bit more practical for the family- but again, that may change...
Those Cobb dudes are pretty special. Their car has not had much alteration to it's tranny (so I am told) - there is some youtube footage of it's latest runs on the time attack's and its just mental. I want one.... Sensible to wait on tranny upgrades though.

Quick Reply: everyday GTR or M3