Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sound Package Plus on the GT3-How good does it sound?..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My system sounds pretty good compared to my 2 speaker system that came with the first RS. I'm happy with the purchase. Plus I did the ipod integration...or what they call an integration. Not a great system, but a huge improvement over the last one.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 PM
ands8
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also like my choons & have given this a lot of thought since buying into a gt3.

Currently on my 97.1 gt3 i do not have spp, just the default couple of speakers & no amp. The sound quality & bass are about as rubbish as you can get but the volume is the main problem, it just doesnt go loud enough as theres no amp. Most of the time the engine sound drowns out most of it & when cruising on the auto routes a similar problem of you just cant hear anything out the speakers.

The spp includes the amp & 9 speakers. The amp is the main thing as it cannot be retrofitted. By ordering the spp, even if the sound quality is bad, you can swap out the amp & speakers for better quality kit & then replace them with the originals when you sell it. As it would be a straight swap out, theres no drilling of holes etc & should be quite straight forward.

I would like to know the various speaker sizes & amp size etc for when ill be looking at doing this if anyone knows. Otherwise ill be getting my tape measure out next month
Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not a picky audiophile, but I would agree with what most have already said, SPP is not that great.

I ordered it knowing the stock system was not that great and that the SPP would be better. I don't have the basic for reference, but the Plus definitely misses the mark IMHO.

What really made me take note of the system's shortcomings was on a recent road trip over a long weekend. A song started playing and I told my girlfriend I had no idea who the band was nor the song. To my surprise my iPhone displayed it was my favorite band and one of their more common songs.

I think the best way to describe the SPP is it is a more powerful system with more speakers. Like a normal system minus tweeters and woofers (no dynamic range) Sound is simply pushed equally across all of the same sounding speakers.

Now having said that, I still see value for the SPP if you want to attempt to drown out the road noise and quiet the six piped symphony in the back.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,798 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
the stock system is a solid -5. i think the speaker on my iphone actually can be louder.
i use iphone with ear bud on one ear.
if you plan to actually hear anything in the RS with windows down, you have to crank up the stereo and you have tons of distortion and clipping. with ear bud, i can hear low volume.

just me.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Originally Posted by serpico1
Morning all,

Still mulling this over...and I appreciated everyone's remarks last time around on to buy or not to buy....

Can anyone shed some light on how good the sound is with the 9 speakers and 235W.

I am a huge rock and roller, and in the business (concerts). Anyway, I have always added my own high end stereos to my cars.
Alpine CD players, Infinity Kappas seperates, Rockford Fosgate, etc.

But NO, I am not going to touch the GT3 if I get it with anything after Germany finishes and I take delivery.

That said, who has this option and how good does it sound for being "stock", even with the 9 speakers?

Thanks!
I have the same question for my .2RS and finally decided to leave it standard, just use it during treffic jam or some backgound music when driving softy.

Don't upgrade.

The GT1 motor is awesome.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree engine is superb.But sometimes you want to hear something else.
I have replaced sound plus with a JL Audio XD Amp,tiny but plenty of poke.
and 3 way Focal speakers.Sound is so much better,and can all be removed very easily.
Shane
The following users liked this post:
tampa_m5 (02-12-2021)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best only gets to tolerable. The radio is only a little better than the cup holders. Both are fine in a C4S and are just there in a GT3.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have previously done high end audio in my other cars and like yourself did not plan to lay a finger on the gt3. I got the sound package plus and am quite happy with it. Sure it isn't a bass monster and sure it isn't audio perfection but unlike the standard system in the 2007 demo I drove, you can actually hear this system if you turn it up. Does okay in my opinion and I certainly would have kicked myself had I not ordered it.

Well worth it compared to the standard unit IMHO and that from a fellow car audio enthusiast....
Old 06-16-2010, 07:00 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

For $700 you have to do it. It's just enough improvement to not need to go aftermarket. It's a cheap factory upgrade. If yo can call it that.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

It's pretty weak, but as others have said, worth the modest outlay over the base system. For reference, the Bose on my 996 was better than SPP on my 997.2 GT3...and the Bose was mediocre.

I have it off most of the time anyway; the exhaust note is just so sweet and I get my audio thrills on my big rig at home (tubes & horns).
Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the sound plus in the 2010 GT3 is pretty good, especially compared to other sports cars in its class and beyond.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Mine was horrible in the GT3. Couldn't stand to listen to it.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM
hidalgo
Advanced

I went ahead and ordered the sound plus in mine, but I hardly listen to anything but the news and talk radio.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

as bad as BOSE is in the auto industry, it sounded great in my carrera, especially compared to the SPP in the gt3. i cant even imagine what the basic radio sounds like.
on another note, does anyone else's gt3 have speakers that have a lot of static, especially when listening to FM?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

It is avg at best...but I don't care. The motor sound makes up for it and a simple exhaust bypass addition makes any stereo irrelevant anyway

Quick Reply: Sound Package Plus on the GT3-How good does it sound?..