Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 & GT3RS to RSR suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 & GT3RS to RSR suspension

To take the GT2& 3 up to RSR spec is the question.Are the pick up points the same? If not--how are they different? I am asking about the whole corners and not shocks here.How does the end geometry differ-- what effect does that have?
As another comparitve-- also from 996-- same question-- to take to 996 RSR spec--and is it possibe and how to take to 997 RSR?
tia
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Red9
To take the GT2& 3 up to RSR spec is the question.Are the pick up points the same? If not--how are they different? I am asking about the whole corners and not shocks here.How does the end geometry differ-- what effect does that have?
As another comparitve-- also from 996-- same question-- to take to 996 RSR spec--and is it possibe and how to take to 997 RSR?
tia
Oceania?

Anyway, you'd have to contact Porsche Motorsports (through your dealer parts manager is usually easier than trying to get someone there directly.) And check the part numbers. I imagine the rear sub-frame is identical and the front tub is surely the same, so I imagine the anchor points are the same. I'd imagine it's cheaper to use after-market hardware than factory suspension parts to achieve the same geometry. You could check with the high-end race component vendors (Tarett, ERP) or the vendors like GMG to see if they have reproduced the RSR for any wildly cashed up customers ... : )
Old 06-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Oceania?

. : )
Thx for the reply--It is a region--says a lot more than a blank!!

I was hoping to find someone with actual knowledge or experience in the area --I am interested in how much is directly applicable and getting a list of parts is not particularly helpfull-- unless you already know what can be used.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you going to track it 95% of the time? Even then I would go Motons. What is the RSR set up?

IF you go RSR you will ruin your street ride.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

you will dig this thread:

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=62449
Old 06-12-2010, 03:13 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Red9
Thx for the reply--It is a region--says a lot more than a blank!!

I was hoping to find someone with actual knowledge or experience in the area --I am interested in how much is directly applicable and getting a list of parts is not particularly helpfull-- unless you already know what can be used.
The project is in the tens of thousands of dollars, it's really not something you can post to an Internet forum and have someone spoon feed the important stuff. If I had to build such a car, I'd start with contacting the third parties which have proven they can handle this scale of work.

As for Oceania, it's just new and fake bureaucratic term, you may as well offer up a bar code. Either you live in Australia or New Zealand or you live on a Pacific island or you live in Asia. Or the wilds of Borneo.

But nobody lives in "Oceania."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGVgfjnLqc
Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
you will dig this thread:

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=62449
Thankyou-- excellent help. I have searched several times without seeing that thread . Interesting.

FWIW-- I did not invent crazy ideas--I am simply encouraged by the craziness I see here!!

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

You can do almost anything. One could do to a perfectly good suspension upgrade that could cost a few thousand dollars to north of $50,000 and I could put you into something that could cost upwards of $150,000 too. Truth, however, is that, other than for bragging rights and show, the average amateur driver cannot make any significant use of the "ultimate" and, indeed, even the average is unnecessary and/or unusable in most circumstances.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts

+1 to robert- even on a fully dedicated club racer, the 4x adjustable shocks, uprights, springs, hubs, etc to RSR suspension will run you about 10-25k per corner, and good luck learning how to tune them...The car is homologated so technically a GT3RS should have the same basic suspension attachments as the RSR.

problem is- to utilize the super crazy springs and shocks, you'd have to lighten the car significantly, lower it, as well as get michelin, falken, or yokohama slick tires...so you're in for another job (and another 25-75k)...might be easier to just get a used factory car and call it a day- depending on your application.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

And, to be quite blunt, there are but a handfull of people around the world who can set up four way dampers to their full potential. Further, there are almost no amateur racers that can use them to their full potential. Finally, if one wants the best and lightest suspension components, factory parts are not the answer as they are built to meet a budget and, as such, can be quite clumsy.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Red9
Racer

My interest is not confined to factory parts.Certainly a good place to start to see what can be done and the effect.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Please do not misunderstand me. Factory parts can be quite good -- and, in most instances, quite sufficient, and most amateur drivers and those who set up their cars cannot even take full advantage of what the factory has to offer. Indeed, I would generally not waste money on a four-way damper for non professional use. One other thing, oftentimes people equate stiff suspension with excellent race suspension. Generally, the more compliant suspension wins in the hands of the right drivers.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
And, to be quite blunt, there are but a handfull of people around the world who can set up four way dampers to their full potential. Further, there are almost no amateur racers that can use them to their full potential. Finally, if one wants the best and lightest suspension components, factory parts are not the answer as they are built to meet a budget and, as such, can be quite clumsy.
+1

one will rack their brains trying figure it out.
without factory support and a suspension dyno you can pretty much forget about it.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

So true. And, as such, many people can save considerable sums of money by not buying certain components (be they Porsche Racing or aftermarket).
Old 06-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Buy a cup car. It will be cheaper.

Quick Reply: GT2 & GT3RS to RSR suspension