http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=202946
Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Anyone seen this or has it installed?

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=202946
we are still kinda afraid of this roll bar......... until testing is performed with real cars to ensure the anti-splinter tech. works..... not many people wish to learn the hard way.

porsche motorsports looked at this technology for CUP cars.... but i have yet to see it in the CUPs'....

sooooo...................... hmmmmmm..........
Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,671 Likes on 2,333 Posts

i dont know if you fit. but if you do, the factory RS clubsport rear bar is the best. all the others mentioned are not as well designed as the clubsport.

welding a plate to the tub is no biggie. the RS is much uglier than you think. it's a metal tub with lots of ugly welds covered up by leather, plastic and carpet. so just weld the damn plate and put the carpet bk it looks great

CF roll bar? have you crashed a CF bike frame? one impact and you are done.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent guys. Thanks for you help!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont know if you fit. but if you do, the factory RS clubsport rear bar is the best. all the others mentioned are not as well designed as the clubsport.

welding a plate to the tub is no biggie. the RS is much uglier than you think. it's a metal tub with lots of ugly welds covered up by leather, plastic and carpet. so just weld the damn plate and put the carpet bk it looks great

CF roll bar? have you crashed a CF bike frame? one impact and you are done.
I agree there's no big deal getting some weld plates. I used to cringe at the thought of having even a skilled Tig welder go into the car, but once you've done it once, well, you realize it's fear of the unknown more than any real issue. I'd still have to "close my eyes and think of England" but I've seen at least one car where it was done properly and the result is as good (or far beefier) than factory with the same look of paint over sealant.

I keep seeing all these reminders of the reality of being on the track. I think I have to put a full cage in this one. I think it's tempting fate to ignore the reality of what can go wrong.

Anyway, the CF in structural frames like roll bars is a matrix -- very similar to a Chromium-Molybdenum "Cro-Moly" alloy in strength and no doubt wildly expensive in terms of fabrication and testing. And it might make a decent bike frame ... anyway, I'm no svelte athlete, but my "beater" mountain bike is a carbon "Y" bike from the mid-90's which has seen me snap cranks, shred clusters, fold handle bars and taco wheels aplenty riding single track, bombing downhill at Downieville and curb hopping my commute for years ... some of the carbon frames, the glue holds together, some of them, not so much ... ) Not that I'd ever get a CF cage! Cro-Mo is just not that heavy ... and I'd like to get a Ruf IRC -- I think that's the real option that Porsche should offer ... not their "trinket" factory cages.

Anyway, where is the bolt-together factory Clubsport superior to the DAS? I can see where it's inferior (like having sharp-edged buts right next to the occupants' heads ...) and the toy-like thru-bolts. The advantage of the factory item would be as a weld-in with the front A-pillar sections, but by then, once I'm welding into the frame, I think I want a proper cage.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
we are still kinda afraid of this roll bar......... until testing is performed with real cars to ensure the anti-splinter tech. works..... not many people wish to learn the hard way.

porsche motorsports looked at this technology for CUP cars.... but i have yet to see it in the CUPs'....

sooooo...................... hmmmmmm..........
Agreed. When the race teams say it's the right call, I'll reconsider. For now. Like CF wheels, no thanks. I'm sure it's fine, but I'm just not interested.

ps. I see you fixed the typo in your signature ... : )
Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Agreed. When the race teams say it's the right call, I'll reconsider. For now. Like CF wheels, no thanks. I'm sure it's fine, but I'm just not interested.

ps. I see you fixed the typo in your signature ... : )
hehe the devil is in the details! thx!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree there's no big deal getting some weld plates. I used to cringe at the thought of having even a skilled Tig welder go into the car, but once you've done it once, well, you realize it's fear of the unknown more than any real issue. I'd still have to "close my eyes and think of England" but I've seen at least one car where it was done properly and the result is as good (or far beefier) than factory with the same look of paint over sealant.

I keep seeing all these reminders of the reality of being on the track. I think I have to put a full cage in this one. I think it's tempting fate to ignore the reality of what can go wrong.

Anyway, the CF in structural frames like roll bars is a matrix -- very similar to a Chromium-Molybdenum "Cro-Moly" alloy in strength and no doubt wildly expensive in terms of fabrication and testing. And it might make a decent bike frame ... anyway, I'm no svelte athlete, but my "beater" mountain bike is a carbon "Y" bike from the mid-90's which has seen me snap cranks, shred clusters, fold handle bars and taco wheels aplenty riding single track, bombing downhill at Downieville and curb hopping my commute for years ... some of the carbon frames, the glue holds together, some of them, not so much ... ) Not that I'd ever get a CF cage! Cro-Mo is just not that heavy ... and I'd like to get a Ruf IRC -- I think that's the real option that Porsche should offer ... not their "trinket" factory cages.

Anyway, where is the bolt-together factory Clubsport superior to the DAS? I can see where it's inferior (like having sharp-edged buts right next to the occupants' heads ...) and the toy-like thru-bolts. The advantage of the factory item would be as a weld-in with the front A-pillar sections, but by then, once I'm welding into the frame, I think I want a proper cage.
the protruding tab near passenger and driver head can be sawed off. but if you want full cage, then you will have to keep it.

the front leg attachement through welded plate is better on clubsport bar than DAS. the large plate for DAS is better than all others that simply bolt to the seat belt bolt (yes, it's strong, but could be stronger). now if DAS' plate was welded to tub then it's on par with clubsport. but i haven't see a DAS plate welded. but i suppose it can be done.

the through bolt on clubsport is indeed it's weakest point in that the tube over tube connection will eventually rattle.

so i guess they are "tie". but if it's tie, i would stay with oem.

let me know when you cage your RS. my 6 is being caged as we speak.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

the protruding tab near passenger and driver head can be sawed off. but if you want full cage, then you will have to keep it.

the front leg attachement through welded plate is better on clubsport bar than DAS. the large plate for DAS is better than all others that simply bolt to the seat belt bolt (yes, it's strong, but could be stronger). now if DAS' plate was welded to tub then it's on par with clubsport. but i haven't see a DAS plate welded. but i suppose it can be done.

the through bolt on clubsport is indeed it's weakest point in that the tube over tube connection will eventually rattle.

so i guess they are "tie". but if it's tie, i would stay with oem.

let me know when you cage your RS. my 6 is being caged as we speak.
I still don't like the OEM geometry or the number of thru-bolts and tabs.

The DAS bar offers weld-plate feet instead of the anti-puncture feet.

I wonder if Tony could do an Integrated Roll Cage? Has anyone ever ... gulp ... paid Ruf to put in an IRC? Has anyone ever seen an IRC put to the test?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Mooty, aren't you a big fan of the TCD bar?! Surprised that you didn't recommend that one!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:28 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

The DAS bar offers weld-plate feet instead of the anti-puncture feet.
if so, then DAS is better than OEM

I wonder if Tony could do an Integrated Roll Cage? Has anyone ever ... gulp ... paid Ruf to put in an IRC? Has anyone ever seen an IRC put to the test?
for $20k, i think you can convince him.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:28 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cfjan
Mooty, aren't you a big fan of the TCD bar?! Surprised that you didn't recommend that one!
i would if you are in SF bay area.
and that's what will go in my car when i get to it.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

if so, then DAS is better than OEM.
I think a DAS bar in cro-mo with a-pillar legs like the factory (dual tube) front section is probably as good as I can expect. It raises the specter of a bespoke track car.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Where is the best place to get DAS?

I think that is the one I will get
Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I do see the OEM RS ClubSport bar having the advantage of allowing one to add the front section later..

Quick Reply: Final thoughts on half cage...