Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Final thoughts on half cage...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What everybody has left out is that the man is 6'2". I just put a RSS bar in a 997 and the passenger seat can't go far enough back for me to sit there and the driver side barely makes it. Also, what's wrong with the GMG WC bar?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Any thoughts on the new RSS 1.75" Cro-Moly bar?
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM bar with CGT seats leaves more than ample adjustment room for my 6'2" 260 lbs. Not sure how they would fit with the new CF seats as I am sure there is a dimensional thickness the must be accounted for. Only thing with the CGT seats is that they seem to sit higher than I like...anyone else with this impression?

That RSS bar looks nice.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
OEM bar with CGT seats leaves more than ample adjustment room for my 6'2" 260 lbs. Not sure how they would fit with the new CF seats as I am sure there is a dimensional thickness the must be accounted for. Only thing with the CGT seats is that they seem to sit higher than I like...anyone else with this impression?

That RSS bar looks nice.
I agree the shell seats sit a bit high. You can slot the side brackets. I just take the cushion out -- better feel for the car that way, too.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

again, for not only safety and leg room but for RESALE purposes, stick with the clubsport cage.

anybody who has ever tried to sell or trade in a car with a aftermarket roll bar knows what im talking about.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:37 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
again, for not only safety and leg room but for RESALE purposes, stick with the clubsport cage.

anybody who has ever tried to sell or trade in a car with a aftermarket roll bar knows what im talking about.
Why wouldn't you take it out? My car will be reverted to stock when the time comes.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I agree the shell seats sit a bit high. You can slot the side brackets. I just take the cushion out -- better feel for the car that way, too.
I took a look at slotting the brackets. The way the bucket of the seat comes down, I don't think it is possible. The seat will get into the bracket on the bottom before it gets any lower. Perhaps I can lift the front a little to recline some.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again guys. Sorry I've been so silent. I'm in Morocco and the connection isn't good for internet.

I think the DAS is hard to beat. By the time I pay for outside US shipping for OEM, the DAS may be about a third of the price. I had the RSS bar in the 996 and it does restrict the passenger side way too much. Thanks so much! Now on to rims...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought the RSS Club Race 1 3/4" chrome moly...but waiting for the car.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I took a look at slotting the brackets. The way the bucket of the seat comes down, I don't think it is possible. The seat will get into the bracket on the bottom before it gets any lower. Perhaps I can lift the front a little to recline some.
Right, there's only half an inch in it. If you wanted to relocate the computers, you could get the "rump" of the bucket down into the tub. Definitely need to angle the seat back a little -- not "Ferrari straight arms" but comfortable. Unless you have long legs, then, at least the new RS has the steering wheel adjustment.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atr911
Why wouldn't you take it out? My car will be reverted to stock when the time comes.

Cars that had after market roll bar installed is what some buyers refer to as"molested".

The logic behind that is how the bar was installed. Some are bolted to floor, others are welded etc....

It can leave a car floor butchered.

This is why a OEM roll bar has little to no questions durung resale.

My advice to anybody here who elects to use anything but OEM, is to make sure you get detailed photos of the install so when the timecomes to sell you can assure the buyers that the car was done properly.

I personally would never buy another RS that had an aftermarket roll bar.

Saving a couple of bucks over buying OEM will comeback to you on the resale everytime.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:42 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand your viewpoint but having just visited RSS in Costa Mesa, and viewed their shop, products and installs, I would have no qualms... In fact, it will probably be lighter and quieter than the OEM bar. Their new 1.75" Cro-Moly bar is awesome and there is no evidence of cars being butchered there. They even had a 2010 GT3 of their own for R&D and the fit and finish of their install in a customer RS was flawless... Nice to know that your car is not a Guinea Pig when you go there!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if I'd go that far.. I am a fan of the OEM CS bar, but it would be a lot easier to mess up (molested?) a OEM roll bar install (require welding plates to the chassis) vs. something that's bolt-on to the seat belt anchors.

If the welding plates to the chassis is not a big deal, then the concern of molesting is not an issue then.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Cars that had after market roll bar installed is what some buyers refer to as"molested".

The logic behind that is how the bar was installed. Some are bolted to floor, others are welded etc....

It can leave a car floor butchered.

This is why a OEM roll bar has little to no questions durung resale.

My advice to anybody here who elects to use anything but OEM, is to make sure you get detailed photos of the install so when the timecomes to sell you can assure the buyers that the car was done properly.

I personally would never buy another RS that had an aftermarket roll bar.

Saving a couple of bucks over buying OEM will comeback to you on the resale everytime.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
I don't know if I'd go that far.. I am a fan of the OEM CS bar, but it would be a lot easier to mess up (molested?) a OEM roll bar install (require welding plates to the chassis) vs. something that's bolt-on to the seat belt anchors.

If the welding plates to the chassis is not a big deal, then the concern of molesting is not an issue then.

yes, a seat anchor bar is a clean way to install a bar without negitive side effects of floor modifications.

but any car with floor modifications for anything other thn OEM bar is a going to have effect on resale for most buyers.

another problem with removing a non OEM bar is the holes left in the upper package tray carpet...... they also tend to be bigger holes then OEM bar holes.....
Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Does the RSS bar require any welding??? what is the price on it??

Quick Reply: Final thoughts on half cage...