Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.2 GT3 First Alignment - This Work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .2 GT3 First Alignment - This Work?

More to follow as my .2 GT3 finished up prep work for DE this year (rollbar, harness, new fluids, fire extinguisher etc) but struggled a but on alignment settings. Reading the usual places, doesnt seem to be much agreement beyond factory settings.

So, from the factory my car was at:
front
left: camber -1.3, toe 0.03 right: camber -1.2, toe 0.03
caster 7.7" caster 8.0"

rear
left: camber -1.8, toe 0.17 right: camber -1.5, toe 0.18

tires: oem pirelli corsas

With these settings, I'm turning consistent 2:15 lap times at VIR (have been there for 7 DE days..I know I know, the car will go a lot quicker but the driver isnt ready yet!), and drive in the intermediate group. Car felt like it had a bit of understeer (more than I expected - this is my first GT3), and under heavy breaking in a straight line from high speeds (eg. turn 1) the rear felt loose. Im trying to establish a neutral baseline and then adjust through the year from there.

Alignment tech at the dealer recommended and then set the following:

front
left: camber -1.5, toe 0.00 right: camber -1.5, toe 0.00
caster 7.7" caster 8.0"

rear
left: camber -1.2, toe 0.21 right: camber -1.2, toe 0.21

I thought that the camber could be more aggressive, and the rear toe looked more than most I've read about in the forums, but went with his judgement as the resident expert.

Thought folks may be interested in what the car came set at from the factory.

Also appreciate feedback on my new alignment settings - know there are plenty of experts here (Ive googled this topic and have plenty of data now, but Im not the expert). Car usage is 75% track, 25% street.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default alignment

You'll be much happer at Front -3.0 and Rear -2.3/2.4

Keep front toe close to zero - and the rear toe from the factory will probably work best.

Have fun!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:40 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your tech is far too conservative. My car came -1.5 on all 4 corners. With Corsas I would not advise going -3/-2.4 for a couple of reasons on this car. First, this car has a lot more power than the previous versions had and less camber will keep traction when powering out of corners. With Corsas go a more conservative than MPSCs or R888s. Corsas have much stiffer sidewalls and don't roll over anywhere near as much. I would not recommend going more than -2.5/-2.0 or you will be wearing your inside edges out. BTW, I learned this running corsas on my previous 996. I actually corded the inside edges of the rear running -2.2 camber at the track. No problem running more aggressive camber with MPSCs or R888s though.

My car also came with Corsas and I have 2 spare sets of Corsas waiting to go on when these wear out. I went -2.3 front and -1.8 rear. I stayed with the stock toe and it is dead straight under braking. I have been watching my temps and wear. They are wearing dead even inside to outside on both ends and inside to outside tread temps are very even.

I have my front bar set full soft and rear bar medium. The car understeers in low speed corners and has slight oversteer on high corners. I am going to readjust the rear car to full hard before going out next time to try to get tighter on the lower speed corners. I am also planning on getting adjustable end links as I noticed when I adjusted the front bar that one side was more pre-loaded than the other.

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 First Alignment - This Work?