Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any reason why a dealer won't CPO a car, other than...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts
Question Any reason why a dealer won't CPO a car, other than...?

Im about to add another P-car to the garage. Price has been negotiated. The car is a 2008 with low miles. They state "no accidents or paintwork and welcome PPI", but wont CPO the car, even though I'd pay for the CPO.

Whenever I have PPI done on cars, I get find a local Porsche specialized shop to do a real thorough PPI (body, paint, suspension, etc), not just mechanical.

Its also my understanding that dealer wont CPO cars with "stories"...... so I thought if it could be CPO, I wont really need to do a PPI, and would've been money better spent.

Do the original dealer that does the CPO, get charge for warranty work needed , if any, in the future, and thats why they wont CPO (if its clean)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just search for CPO on the 996, 997 and GT forums. Dealers will CPO anything that can roll off the lot. Well, I'm exaggerating, but that's the state of things - a panel or two of repairs is no impediment to profit. If a private seller won't CPO, then walk away from the car. If the dealer won't CPO, then it's clearly a disastrous history, so again, you have to walk. And price simply can't be negotiated prior to the car being ready for sale, so, as ever, you as the buyer have the upper hand. As an '08, there's no such thing as a unique or irreplaceable example of any 911, so you have to just scratch that seller and that dealer from your itinerary and keep looking.

For the benefit of the rest of us, I suggest you post the vin of the car and the name of the dealer.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Something is very wrong with the car or the Porsche dealership, or both !
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Re Carrera GT's : "If a private seller won't CPO, then walk away from the car". A private seller can't have a vehicle CPO at will. It is my understanding that only a qualifying Porsche vehicle (certainly a '08 gt3) 'owned' by a Porsche dealer can be CPO by PCNA. Sometimes private sellers will use a Porsche dealer as an intermediary just to have the car CPO for a buyer, if they can find a dealer willing to get involved for a small commission. In that case the seller of record is the dealer and not the private party. But back to OP's question. If a dealer is unwilling to CPO a 2008 gt3 that he owns, there is something wrong and...buyer beware. Even now if they agree to a CPO, I would do an independent PPI outside the dealership to verify the integrity of the vehicle. In principle, Porsche could CPO a car that has had an accident if it has been correctly repaired. You, on the other hand, might not want such a car. z356
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

For the benefit of the rest of us, I suggest you post the vin of the car and the name of the dealer.
Thanks for the input everyone. This is the car: http://www.porscheofnorthhouston.com...-Houston-Texas
Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Overrevs

Mods

Accident damage....

are reasons a Dealer won't certify. That is why it is ludicrous that some here post that they will put their cars back to stock before selling, or warranty work. If you know anything about ECUs, it can't be done (back to stock)..the changes are monitored and can be found, if sought..

If a Dealer can't CPO a car, then you don't want that car...just like Carrera GT pointed out!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

I just noticed, in the pics, it has a plastic intake box from a turbo, not the carbon GT2 one. Probably a rear accident....

Thanks guys. I had a bad feeling....

On to the next...
Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JMD0977
I just noticed, in the pics, it has a plastic intake box from a turbo, not the carbon GT2 one. Probably a rear accident....

Thanks guys. I had a bad feeling....

On to the next...
It does look like a very nice example, but I think you're right to take the buyer's prerogative ... and walk. : )
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently bought a CPOed car and went through the book thoroughly. If the car has any after market products on it or anything is missing from the car as stock, it can not be CPOed. Examples include radio, sat radio, springs, anything.

Also, they allow one panel to be repaired or replaced but no more than that.

They should be able to disclose why they are unable to do so. It may be no big deal and you would still be able to get a quality after market warranty for about the same price.

Stu

Last edited by smf32s; 05-20-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: bad spelling!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM
PCH
Instructor

According to the salesman I spoke with the front bumper, rear quarter and rear bumper have had paint work. Although he states minimal damage they are unable to produce RO's for the front and rear bumper damage. Further, he couldn't account as to why it had the incorrect air-box. All that and the fact that they refuse to CPO the car is more then enough to stay far away. Scary that an authorized dealer would attempt to retail a car like this.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

That's one of the benefits of buying a used car directly from an original owner... Assuming the seller kept all of the records, you'll know the car's complete maintenance and repair history.

Quick Reply: Any reason why a dealer won't CPO a car, other than...?