Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sport Chrono ... goodness ... srsly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sport Chrono ... goodness ... srsly?

It might be possible that the Sport Chrono has a redeaming quality after all.

I'm told Sport Chrono now (2009 or maybe 2010 model year) records a lot more vehicle data for download (steering position, etc.) Someone with insider access might check into the specifics and make this information known to the great unwashed.

If someone wants that data after a driver-education day without paying for a data acq. product like SmartyCam, then it might be really interesting to have things like a comparison of brake and steering angle regardless of seeing where you are on the track (it won't be hard to figure out from the data anyway.)
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read this also, I has been difficult for me to figure out how to get it to record lap times, having to flick the switch more then once, and I'm not looking down at 120mph!

I also read that if you have nav it can chart out the track with it, but can we set the start finish line so the chrono automatically records your lap time?

Or do we keep it running and just check the data? If anyone knows please explain how I can actually use this.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

As long as it still requires you to flick the paddle (twice) with tenth-of-a-second precision on each lap I think it's still worthless. I'm embarrassed for Porsche that they still sell the thing.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

"tic-toc" dash piece. not into it.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
As long as it still requires you to flick the paddle (twice) with tenth-of-a-second precision on each lap I think it's still worthless. I'm embarrassed for Porsche that they still sell the thing.
I've used it in a C4S and while it's absurdly complicated, you can easily achieve 1/10th sec accuracy with very calm moves -- it doesn't require any special skills.

A useful trick is to forget trying to time at start/finish (usually at a high speed, so time-distance has a high error margin) instead, time at the slowest constant speed (pick a long "maintenance" sweeper and line up two landmarks off track, one near the track as it lines up with a point far from track to mark a point on track with reasonably precise consistency.) It's not Le Mans dispute resolution, it's just an idea of whether you're putting down consistent laps. Once you progress to the point of wanting segment times and apex speeds, Sport Chrono is strictly a teenager's worst pimple.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I'm told Sport Chrono now (2009 or maybe 2010 model year) records a lot more vehicle data for download (steering position, etc.) Someone with insider access might check into the specifics and make this information known to the great unwashed.

If someone wants that data after a driver-education day without paying for a data acq. product like SmartyCam, then it might be really interesting to have things like a comparison of brake and steering angle regardless of seeing where you are on the track (it won't be hard to figure out from the data anyway.)
is this SC+ that requires PCM?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

As in that Chronolyze website that one dude came up with?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I totally agree. It's a bull**** option Porsche has
And it's even more BS that all the dealers who place spec orders include this option.

I absolutely refuse to accept it on any of my cars which is why I'll never buy a Turbo as presently offered by Porsche

Originally Posted by Nugget
Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GJ
I absolutely refuse to accept it on any of my cars which is why I'll never buy a Turbo as presently offered by Porsche
I think Porsche made it clear that's perfectly fine by them.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I think it's pretty harmless really ... I specced it on my '07 and used it while I was in Germany, and never again thereafter ... I dont miss it on my '10 ... but it would not alone cause me to buy or not
a 911 that I wanted ... unless of course someone had specced it with a red face!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
RS_dreams
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I just snatched up a dealer spec 2010. Yes, it has Sport Chrono Plus, and yesss it is even the vomit inducing (kidding) guards red. It seems like a good option for recording times, but I am no expert. If the experts don't appreciate it, then I'm sure it's of little value to them.

There are a few other options I would have passed on, but since this is my first track car that will be used on city streets more than half the time I didn't care. I just wanted the car. I even settled for Carrara white to get it.

I have a performance driving lesson next week and I look forward to learning the basics about track driving.

I can't wait to see the look on the instructors face when this beginner rolls up in an RS. Hehehe. What can I say, though? I want to learn how to drive a race car! So I bought a race car!

_RS_dreams
Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

So long as your feet can reach the pedals you can learn to ride any size "bicycle" you want.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_dreams
I just snatched up a dealer spec 2010. Yes, it has Sport Chrono Plus, and yesss it is even the vomit inducing (kidding) guards red. It seems like a good option for recording times, but I am no expert. If the experts don't appreciate it, then I'm sure it's of little value to them.

There are a few other options I would have passed on, but since this is my first track car that will be used on city streets more than half the time I didn't care. I just wanted the car. I even settled for Carrara white to get it.

I have a performance driving lesson next week and I look forward to learning the basics about track driving.

I can't wait to see the look on the instructors face when this beginner rolls up in an RS. Hehehe. What can I say, though? I want to learn how to drive a race car! So I bought a race car!

_RS_dreams

I did the same!

i just completed my first novice track day in my RS!

super fun! and the RS makes it easy! great grip, brakes and exceleration!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Be careful Guys!

Now that you have caught the Bug, it's going to start getting expensive!!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

RS_dreans, Congrats on the White RS and the performance driving lesson!

I could have saved a lot of $$ by starting with an RS, great, easy cars to drive. I wish I would have bought a GT3 to start with.

Some guys are of the opinion you should learn in a slower car with lower limits first. It can't hurt, but I see nothing wrong with starting with the weapon of choice!

Just make sure you keep an instructor in the car for a while, the limits are very high and the speeds are higher than other "beginner" cars.

You might be fine and get away with a lot before it goes wrong, but you stop learning to become a better safer driver if you go on your own to soon.

Please post after your first day... Set up a secret PO Box, slush fund and start buying presents for the wife. It's a slippery slope

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono ... goodness ... srsly?