Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First oil change.

I'm sure it has been discussed at length before but I would like to know other's opinions regarding the mileage for the initial oil change. I have done it at or about 2k on my other 911s. I am approaching 1100 miles on my .2 GT3 and am considering one very soon. After the first, I'll likely change it once a year or every 5k whichever arrives first. Thoughts?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

1600km (1000 miles) and getting it done next week. Both engine with filter and gearbox oil. Just to get any metal and assembly contaminants outs. Thereafter every 5k-7.5k km depending on the number of track days....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I changed mine at 2k and performed oil analysis. I've read several posts that feel 1k is a "better" change point. Another simple option may be to change the filter only at 1K.

Personally, I think the first 1K or 2K are both safe zone to change oil, assuming normal driving, i.e., no track time.

Going forward, I plan on following your same interval, yearly or 5K miles.

Worth noting, if you ever use any fuel cleaner products, be sure to use them just prior to an oil change. According to some of the oil analysis reports I've had in the past, the cleaner products dilute the oil (layman's terms here).

Have you given thought to changing the transmission oil after break-in? I'm leaning that way, but have not done it yet (2,6xx miles)
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

I did one track day within those first 1000 miles. Offered by dealer and they were not phased as cars are dynoed to max rpm at factory. Car was fully warmed before each session and cooled for a lap or two before coming in. Limited rpms to about 7k per the head motorsport technician there. Car runs magic, no smoke on start up and no oil consumption... ps. our ROW manuals do not limit rpms to 4200 rpm during break in period. Just no WOT and high rpms when cold...

Just noticed i hit 500 posts woohoo!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I did one track day within those first 1000 miles. Offered by dealer and they were not phased as cars are dynoed to max rpm at factory. Car was fully warmed before each session and cooled for a lap or two before coming in. Limited rpms to about 7k per the head motorsport technician there. Car runs magic, no smoke on start up and no oil consumption... ps. our ROW manuals do not limit rpms to 4200 rpm during break in period. Just no WOT and high rpms when cold...

Just noticed i hit 500 posts woohoo!
Of course that first oil change is ever important. Going for as well to the tranny fluid, always observe the drain bolt for it is magnetic and will grab any ferrous material that has splintered off the internal bits of transmission parts. Thus why it was previously mentioned to change the tranny fluid too!

By the way what did the Fluid Analysis prove from the posting above, can the results be posted?

Anywhere between one and three thousand miles the oil should be changed just as long as no track days were thrown in. I would however always change the oil after the cars first track day, goes for tranny too as well again. Just don't want that "Foreign Object Debris" floating around in the transmission fluid. I've seen where metal "shavings" have been far more of a detriment to the transmission than to the engine due to the method of fluid filtering.

And congrats on five hundred post. Here's a little something I have digged up off the outernet. Was looking for a jpg declaring "only girls celebrate post count", but since I cannot locate it I figured the following image would suffice...

Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
By the way what did the Fluid Analysis prove from the posting above, can the results be posted?
Below is the analysis from my post break-in oil with 2k miles (break-in was by the book). The metal counts were certainly higher than the norm and according to BlackStone, the oil change was warranted.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I'm sure it has been discussed at length before but I would like to know other's opinions regarding the mileage for the initial oil change. I have done it at or about 2k on my other 911s. I am approaching 1100 miles on my .2 GT3 and am considering one very soon. After the first, I'll likely change it once a year or every 5k whichever arrives first. Thoughts?
Changed the oil in my new 08 Cayman S at 750 miles. Glad I did. See pic. That oil drain pan perfectly clean and the only stuff in the pan is what came out of the oil filter housing.

Since the amount of trash in the oil high -- though very fine -- I decided to change the oil/filter again at 1500 miles. Changed it early -- 1300 miles -- and not even enough "color" in the oil to bother photographing.

Then at 2000 miles -- end of "break in" -- the oil was changed again, this time at the dealership. I see not good arising from at 2K miles suddenly hammering on the engine with dirty oil in it.

1000 miles is as good as time as any to change the oil/filter and I'd be tempted to change it again at 2K miles then at 3K miles and every 5K miles after. If you track the car you might want to consider changing the oil before every track day.

I followed a similar oil change schedule for my 02 Boxster and just the other day the odometer rolled over 231K miles. Engine still feels as good as the day I brought the car home new from the dealer.

You can change the tranny/diff fluid early too. Especially if you're going to track the car. Change the tranny/diff fluid when you have the 2K oil/filter seviced. Kill two birds with one stone.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster
If you track the car you might want to consider changing the oil before every track day.
Solid input at as always, Macster. Thanks!

Worth noting, I experimented with oil change intervals for track days using oil analysis (same oil/filter used each time). I found that a good general change interval of ~3-4 track days. Similarly, going based on mileage meant cutting the normal interval (5K for me) in half, i.e., 2.5K for track duty.

In my case I drive the car to/from events and around town (short trips), so that was an added wear factor.

Last edited by Clifton; 05-13-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to all. I have an oil and filter change scheduled early next week. The mileage will may be around 1200-1400, maybe less, by that time, but it still good.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Oil change before EVERY track day?! Isn't that excessive?

I guess it is probably because I'm a beginner so I don't drive the car as hard as many here.. (you got blocked by other car, so you are coasting sometimes.. etc.)
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 1200mls: engine, trans and diff oil.
At 3000mls: engine oil.
after that every 5000mls for engine oil and change trans and diff oil when required.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Oil change before EVERY track day?! Isn't that excessive?

I guess it is probably because I'm a beginner so I don't drive the car as hard as many here.. (you got blocked by other car, so you are coasting sometimes.. etc.)
Oil's cheaper than a new engine. When I auto-x'd I was taught by my mechanic friends who also participated that part of the cost of doing this kind of thing with a dual purpose car was more frequent services: oil/filter; brake fluid; tranny/diff fluid; etc.

Now it depends too upon how often you track a car. Once or twice a year I see no big deal out of arranging to show up with fresh oil in the engine.

A real concern to me would someone who uses his car on the street between track days then shows up with this oil in the engine.

If one is using the car for a dedicated track car and not driving it much if at all at other times, he may be safe to change the oil/filter every 2nd, 3rd, or some interval of track day.

A beginner driver may be harder on the car than an experienced driver. Experienced drivers are usually smoother drivers and while still fast, very fast, they can be easier on the car.

The car represents considerable money. That the engine remains healthy and sound means one can derive considerable pleasure from the car. The last thing I would think one would want to fret about is a few quarts of oil.

If the oil looks that good when you drain it and you can not bear to recycle it then save the oil to a clean container and use it in another car, one's daily "beater".

Also, how much fun can it be thinking instead of about one's track lines, brake points, other traffic on the track, to also have in the back of his mind whether the oil should have been changed before the track day?

Even with a $1000 Datsun 510 for my auto-xing I wanted to avoid worrying about the engine and instead concentrate on my driving.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't disagree w/ changing oil more frequently when used at track, but I guess my point was just that it seems excessive to change oil for every 80-100 track miles (1 track day for me) + a few hundred street miles...
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

And congrats on five hundred post. Here's a little something I have digged up off the outernet. Was looking for a jpg declaring "only girls celebrate post count", but since I cannot locate it I figured the following image would suffice...

Thanks for the pat on the back Tacet... I think Wasn't a celebration so much as surprise that I've enjoyed being part of a forum for such a long time. Many cool and helpful guys on this gt2/gt3 forum and I'm enjoying being part of the community!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up car Friday. Track day Monday (4k rev limit, taking it very easy). Oil & transmission fluids and filters change Friday at ~600 miles on the odomoeter. Expect majority of breakin debris and contaminents flushed now. Porsche motorsport and local techs agreed.

Quick Reply: First oil change.