Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my first oil change at 1,000 miles. Not solely for the oil change itself, but 1,000 miles is a good time to bring the car back to the dealer for an overall post-delivery checkup.

Turned out my alignment (front wheels toe) was off from factory specification, and my dealer had the alignment corrected under warranty.

My dealer also checked if there were any bulletins or recalls on my VIN. There was none, and that was a peace of mind.

I also walked over to the parts depatment to get a couple quarts of spare motor oils and some accessaries for my car. And the folks over there gave me a nice discount.

They also gave me a Mercedes C300 4-Matic as a loaner car for the day. All for a hundred some dollars (sorry, forgot the exact amount), overall not bad for the money spent.

Just my experience.

With best regards,
Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 AM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An oil change only cost you a hundred some dollars? I would have to pay more than three hundred where I live.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
I don't disagree w/ changing oil more frequently when used at track, but I guess my point was just that it seems excessive to change oil for every 80-100 track miles (1 track day for me) + a few hundred street miles...
If a track day for you is around 100 miles and you have only added a few hundred street miles, then a change before every track day is excessive.

In this case you could certainly get by and not just squeak by either following an oil/filter service after a few track days.

Maybe. Depends upon those street miles to some extent.

If the street miles are accumulated from taking the car on very short trips that don't see the engine get nice and hot for a while during which the water (and unburned fuel) are evaporated out of the oil then the last track day or two might be with oil that has a goodly amount of water/unburned fuel in it.

Both of these of course lower the oil's viscosity and this is not what you want for an engine being subjected to the rigors of track driving.

Oil is the expendable item in the engine/oil combination. Oil is used and discarded before it's time in order to ensure the engine remains healthy.

A problem is the decline in an oil's abiity to protect an engine may not be linear. The oil's condition may remain good and stable for a while followed by at some point a rapid fall off in the oil's ability to adequately protect the engine. While on the street this fall off may not result in any engine wear/tear on the track this may not be the case. An early oil/filter change removes the worry about the engine's oil and its condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I had my first oil change at 1,000 miles. Not solely for the oil change itself, but 1,000 miles is a good time to bring the car back to the dealer for an overall post-delivery checkup.

Turned out my alignment (front wheels toe) was off from factory specification, and my dealer had the alignment corrected under warranty.

My dealer also checked if there were any bulletins or recalls on my VIN. There was none, and that was a peace of mind.

I also walked over to the parts depatment to get a couple quarts of spare motor oils and some accessaries for my car. And the folks over there gave me a nice discount.

They also gave me a Mercedes C300 4-Matic as a loaner car for the day. All for a hundred some dollars (sorry, forgot the exact amount), overall not bad for the money spent.

Just my experience.

With best regards,
Is that at Rector Porsche in Burlingame? I've used that dealer a few times. Good dealer. Good service. Good people.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:22 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Over here (Porsche dealership) they claim that the first engine oil contains special additives to help break-in. They strongly advised against an early oilchange at 1000 or 2000 miles because you loose those additives too early then. Also dirt and metal parts are caught by the oil filter, that is what it is for anyway. What they did suggest is to change the oil every 10.000km instead of every 20.000 if the car is used to do trackdays and other kinds of hard driving.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just changed my oil today actualy, i clocked 1026 kilos, i should be ashamed of myself i know
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Over here (Porsche dealership) they claim that the first engine oil contains special additives to help break-in. They strongly advised against an early oilchange at 1000 or 2000 miles because you loose those additives too early then. Also dirt and metal parts are caught by the oil filter, that is what it is for anyway. What they did suggest is to change the oil every 10.000km instead of every 20.000 if the car is used to do trackdays and other kinds of hard driving.
I highly doubt that there are special additives in the oil for break in. Not all contaminents are caught by the filter evidenced by several oil analysis out there; i.e. Clifton's (Whether or not these contaminents cause damage is another debate). If there were additives Porsche would certainly recommend against an early change.

Sorry, but I have a really hard time believing most dealer claims.

Anyway, we added 9.25 quarts then checked the level, which was dead on. The manual reads 9.5 or so. Too many times I've had previous 911s returned over-filled. I stayed with the tech while he worked on my car. 30+ minute complete drain, cleaned the filter cap, etc...

Last edited by 911dev; 05-27-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,671 Likes on 2,333 Posts

i drain when it's hot.
i let it pour for 30 min.
then i always add 9 bottles = 9 qts
never overfilled.
i then chk level as per manual. usually just below max so i dont top off again.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
i drain when it's hot.
i let it pour for 30 min.
then i always add 9 bottles = 9 qts
never overfilled.
i then chk level as per manual. usually just below max so i dont top off again.
Yes, hot for sure. I drove my car 15+ miles to the dealer and they brought it right in. I might try 9 quarts next time. A tick below is good.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I highly doubt that there are special additives in the oil for break in. Not all contaminents are caught by the filter evidenced by several oil analysis out there; i.e. Clifton's (Whether or not these contaminents cause damage is another debate). If there were additives Porsche would certainly recommend against an early change.
In my owners manual Porsche does not recommend to have an early change either. They just state you have to come in for a first change at 20.000km
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
In my owners manual Porsche does not recommend to have an early change either. They just state you have to come in for a first change at 20.000km
I understand what you are saying, but Porsche doesn't say not to either. My point being that IF Porsche had special additives in the oil to facilitate break in, they'd make a point of stating that an early oil change is NOT recommeded; rather than simply state 20km for the first one. Either way, no way I'm waiting 20km for any oil change at any time on any car.

Quick Reply: First oil change.